Ram Eco-Diesel---Towing & real world mpg ?

TwinStick

Explorer
Looking to get some real world mpg from owners of the Eco-Diesel.

What are you towing & what does it weigh ?

Highway mpg ?

Around town mpg ?

Our camper is an 18" Starcraft AR One Extreme. It sits higher than a reg AR One, so a little more wind resistance, & weighs 3500 lbs. My truck gets 8-10 mpg pretty much no mater what you are doing, empty or fully loaded. Not looking to get rid of the PW. Just curious what the real world numbers are on the Eco-Diesel.

Thanks.

hollinger13

Just got a 2016 outdoorsman. Getting 21 mpg in the city and 29-30 mpg on the highway. It does have the 3.92 gears and is a crew cab, with the 6.4' box. Haven't towed yet, so I can't say what it gets with a trailer.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
how fast

it depends on how fast you wanna go, one of my buddies in mt has one and towing an enclosed trailer with 3 dirtbikes and going 85 in a headwind we got about 10mpg. if you were going 55-60 on the flats it would probably be double that.

p nut

butter
Just got a 2016 outdoorsman. Getting 21 mpg in the city and 29-30 mpg on the highway. It does have the 3.92 gears and is a crew cab, with the 6.4' box. Haven't towed yet, so I can't say what it gets with a trailer.

That's pretty impressive. How fast were you going on the freeway? I typically have to keep it at 65-70 for the best mileage. Over that, it starts to drop fast.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a summary of the Edmunds report on Ram Ecodiesel fuel economy after 50,000 miles

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel Crew Cab 4x4
240 hp, 420 ft-lb
8 speed automatic, 3.55 gears, 26 gallon fuel tank
$50,510 out the door

EPA MPG Rating: 22 Combined (19 City/27 Highway)

Edmunds observed MPG, towing excluded: 22.9 average
Edmunds observed MPG, towing only: 18.1
Edmunds observed MPG, all conditions: 21.8
(remarkably close to EPA estimate, for a change)

Edmunds Best Fill MPG: 27.9 (20.7 when towing)
Worst Fill MPG: 17.4 (15.1 when towing)

Best Range: 700.2 miles

Diesel Exhaust Fluid consumption: average 1 gallon per 1000 miles driven
at $12 for a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF, that means an extra $4.80 per 1000 miles

haven

Expedition Leader
The Ecodiesel looks pretty good when compared with gas engines that produce similar torque. The diesel engine costs more initially, but gives much of the extra cost back when you sell the truck.

At the moment, diesel fuel costs less than regular gas. In my neighborhood, that difference is about 20 cents per gallon.

Unfortunately with diesel engine and 4x4, the Ecodiesel payload is reduced to 1,190 lb in most configurations. A true half-ton truck.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

That's really too little if you plan on carrying a camper.

The Ram 2500 with Cummins diesel and 4x4 offers 2300 lb of cargo capacity. That's a better choice for carrying a camper, and adding off-road equipment like bumpers, sliders and skid plates.

hollinger13

I was getting the 29-30 mpg doing 60-65 with the cruise on. I was quite shocked at how good it actually was doing. It does have quite a bit of power and the 8 speed transmission is matched well with the engine. Have no issues passing or going up hills. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a half ton.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I have one in a jeep. It is very nice.
Let me specify...
I want one in MY jeep.
1c51f67f8b8876b587ca4b02d6adc46f.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I was getting the 29-30 mpg doing 60-65 with the cruise on. I was quite shocked at how good it actually was doing. It does have quite a bit of power and the 8 speed transmission is matched well with the engine. Have no issues passing or going up hills. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a half ton.

Ive seen the same in mine...

I have 25,000 miles on mine...tow a 14x7 tandem enclosed weighs 1800 empty usually its about 4000...have towed it at 7000...usually getting 15-17mpg at 65-70mph..I did put airlift 1000 airbags on her to make up for just a touch soft springs..

truck cap and 400lbs of tools in bed...22-26mpg in town...

LOVE LOVE LOVE my ecodiesel!!!!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Whoa, any more details on this build? Looks awesome.

Michael
Thanks. There's a build on the scrambler forum (cj8.comm) but not one here. It's neglect since returning from Germany is due to my focus on my XJ. I'm dragging it to Colorado (along with everything else) and hope to get back at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94