THE FOURTH NORTHERN ARIZONA SPRING RIDE

mkitchen

Explorer
FRIDAY
Well Jeff showed up from Napa CA Thursday afternoon and stayed over to catch the ride out to Paulden with us on Friday. We woke up to rain coming down. Not the best start for a ride, but a ride none the less. Three from the house, Sam, Jeff and I and we picked up Rich at the gas station.

nwio91.jpg

We decided on a dirt and pavement route. From the gas station, we were about two miles to the dirt. We headed east from Kingman travelling along Blake Ranch road most of the way. BR puts you out on hiway 93 about 20 miles north of Wickieup AZ.

zoj2ip.jpg

6xpylu.jpg

The rain didn't last too long and did a great job of keeping the dust down.

n2hfv7.jpg

From Wickieup we headed south to the the turn off to Bagdad, hiway 97.

14l56rl.jpg

We had planned to ride from Bagdad to Chino Valley via Camp Wood road but I have heard that the top part of Camp Wood can be a very slippery trail after a rain and looking up from Bagdad, it definitely looked like it was raining. With that in mind we took off on Hiway 96 to Kirkland and up through Skull Valley. Skull Valley is a very captivating ride.

33w1tmv.jpg

b3tm5f.jpg

From Skull Valley, we head into Prescott and on to Paulden. So ends our trip out to the Spring Ride.

SATURDAY
Saturday morning finds us at the Chino Valley Safeway while everyone fuels up. I think we are all anxious to get going on this trip. There were 19 of us that were foolish enough to tag along.

y043.jpg

30vbztv.jpg

Off we go from Safeway and out to Williamson Valley rd. From there we split up into three groups and headed north to FS 2. WV was very slippery due to all the rain that came down over night. with my 50/50 tires and limited skills, I had my hands full trying to keep the bike going in the right direction. The better riders had fun and us Noobs persevered. A side trip out to Anvil Rock and then to Seligman was scrapped for a straight shot to Seligman and West Side Lilo's Cafe.

xbhif6.jpg

jii4h3.jpg

After a fulfilling lunch at Lilo's, we headed west on Rt 66. Our next destination was Peach Springs.

Now here is the unique part of the trip. Peach Springs is in the Hualapai reservation and for the past 15 years they have not been allowing motorbikes to go down to the Grand Canyon via Diamond Creek road. Diamond Creek is the only spot within the Grand Canyon that you can actually drive to the river. The tribe allows autos but not motorbikes.

John, the ride organizer, has diligently worked with the trip for the past six months and was able to talk the tribe into giving us a pass for Diamond Creek for this event only. So from here on, we are travelling on a route than no other legitimate motorcyclist has traveled for over 15 years. (Hats off to you, John!)

VIRGIN COUNTRY FOR DUAL SPORTS

nwhg1i.jpg

fblqpc.jpg

a4c5s1.jpg

35bftc8.jpg

105ch2b.jpg

23kzqzk.jpg

28qq5ft.jpg

And after a great 20 mile ride, we reach the Colorado River. My pictures of the river are limited. I have been down here many times and didn't focus on getting any more pictures of the river or the beach so I am hoping that others jump in with some of their pictures.

s0xtf6.jpg

mwtun4.jpg

Most all the group were riding KLR's but Chuck and Sandra opted to do the trip two up on their Tenere. It was much appreciated having a woman along on the ride. Here is Sandra posing with me and my KLR.

2bqv5g.jpg

Here, Dan is demonstrating the proper attire for KTM dual sport riding. Those in the know, go for lycra shorts and rubber thongs. At least it wasn't a lycra thong. He was trying to hide behind Sandra but we still got a quick pic.

2cqh07c.jpg

The tribal campground though dry, is very nice with multiple ramadas that I failed to get pictures of and port-a-johns and of course, just a short walk to the river.

bewirn.jpg

Here is one of the many great views from the campground.

zuo51e.jpg

SUNDAY
Finally, on the way back to Peach Springs this morning. Few people have ever seen an old saw dust kiln. These used to be at just about every saw mill but have been banned for about 50 years. This is one of the few that I have seen still standing.

5zisra.jpg

NOTE
As stated above, motorcycles are not allowed to travel Diamond Creek rd. We were allowed in on a very special permit and we are working hard to get the tribe to re-open Diamond Creek to dual sports. So please don't sneak down to the river. It could ruin all our work in getting the road opened again and it could cost you a $500 fine as well. Hopefully, some day soon we will again have access to the Canyon via Diamond Creek.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier