'90 Dodge W150 Build Thread: ExPo or Overland

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martin,
What was the M880 used for in Germany? Ive only seen it state side as a dedicated snow plow.
They were the standard Army 5/4 ton trucks for general use from the mid 70's to the mid-80's. Used for cargo or troops (they had troop seats in the back.) I even saw MPs using them as patrol vehicles. They were being phased out by the time I got to Germany in 1987 but you'd see one every now and then, especially if it was a reserve unit. They were replaced by the 5/4 ton CUCV M1008 just as the M151 "Mutt" (which was a Jeep) was replaced by the M1009 (Blazer.)
The latest I saw M880's in use was in Korea in 1990 for the big Team Spirit exercise.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I should add there were also "light tactical" versions of the M880 that were 2wd and there was even an ambulance version of the 2wd 880. Can't remember what the designation was. The ambulance M880 in 4x4 configuration was (I believe) the M886.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
If you have actual experience with the front springs on 4x4 trucks, please advise.

Let me first say that I have no experience, but I did find someone that does. Based on some of your earlier posts, it looks like you're in the same area as me. Flagstaff? If so, I would go into American Spring. That guy was really knowledgeable and helpful and there was an ambulance and a Sedona fire truck out front, ready for work. So they're used to our kind of rigs. I'm going to be getting our springs re-arched there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz