Pita Van 4x4 Conversion

BajaVan

Observer
I can't get past the ProMaster's rear axle - every time I see one I want to flip the axle to actually have some clearance - as it is I think it would get hung up too easily. Sure the clearance might be similar to the diff housing of some axles - but its all the way across... That might be a product you could offer!

Here is an image of the ProMaster's front suspension I found a while ago - I was thinking if you pulled out the sprinter's transverse leaf and added your spacer you might be able to fit the ML diff in the space provided - then use the ProMaster's hub assembly with the regular sprinter lower A arms and the ProMasters strut / spring assembly.

T440050.gif

You'd have to come up with a way to connect the ProMaster hub to the Mercedes diff - What kind of CVs are used on the diff? Are they the 6 bolt "Lobro" type as used on VW/Porsche/BMW? That would make it easier...

We are planning on making some parts for Promasters in the very near future. Right now we are just trying to focus on getting all our products done for the Sprinter platforms.

The ML diff does not have the 6 bolt type CVs similar to a VW. They are the press in style, similar to a later model Tacoma or Tundra. They just pop in / out. I'll try to snap a more detailed photo of them this week.

Been waiting for a couple steering universals and some steering shaft material to wrap up the front end. So in the meanwhile, we've spent the past couple days chipping away at the prototype rear bumper. Few more details to wrap up and she will be off to powder coat!

-Rob

BajaVan

Observer
Well, got the rear bumper wrapped up and dropped off at powder coat today. Hopefully have that back mid week next week.

Steering shaft is all hooked up now and the van is sitting on it's own weight. Only thing still left to fabricate is the rear gas tank mount. I need to go machine some wheel adapters to get the original 33" tires back on then it's going to be put on hold for a week while I help a buddy out with his Jeep build.

Short list goes something like this;
-Driveshafts
-Plumb brakes
-Wire up wheel speed sensors
-Wire up brake bad warning light sensor
-Hook up / make power steering hoses
-Re-connect fuel filler hose
-Wire transfer case
-Cross fingers

Here's a couple photos in the meantime...

BajaVan

Observer
killer work!

:Wow1: :drool:

Thanks guys!

I've been looking at ml320's as a (temporary) second vehicle......

Do it! After tearing into them, I've become a fan. NAG1 transmission, borg warner T-case, diffs made by ZF, damn near flat belly from the factory, and they are dirt cheap. I kinda want to put my rock crawler up for sale and build a new trail rig out of an ML55 AMG.

This is awesome. Love seeing the development process in the fly. Keep us updated!

SG

Thank you sir! Been a huge fan of Boomer for years btw.

Last update for at least a week. Machined the wheel adapters this morning and threw them on. Unfortunately the larger brakes and knuckle assembly from the ML wouldn't work with my 15" wheels. So I robbed the 16" wheels and Generals off my business partner's van and threw them on. Sitting on proper tires again, it looks much better. Thing is sitting nearly perfectly level at just the 2" lift installed on the rear. Really happy with the low stance.

-Rob

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Looks Great - one step closer... did you get the steering connected? The width looks close to the rear with the spacers added in.

BajaVan

Observer
Looks Great - one step closer... did you get the steering connected? The width looks close to the rear with the spacers added in.

Yup. Got the steering shaft hooked up. I'll snap some photos of it soon.

The width seems very close with the adapters on there. I still need to measure to see how it compares to the rear as it sits now.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Thanks guys!
Do it! After tearing into them, I've become a fan. NAG1 transmission, borg warner T-case, diffs made by ZF, damn near flat belly from the factory, and they are dirt cheap. I kinda want to put my rock crawler up for sale and build a new trail rig out of an ML55 AMG.

Maybe you misunderstood ;) it would be a temporary second vehicle until your kit becomes available and I find a suitable Sprinter.

I understand why you are keeping the torsion bars but I think I would prefer a coil over shock and keep the the upper control arms.
Also, anything to look for in ML's? Anything to stay away from?
This work? It's gone down $600 since the last time I looked at it so I might have to jump http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5538418550.html

BajaVan

Observer
Maybe you misunderstood ;) it would be a temporary second vehicle until your kit becomes available and I find a suitable Sprinter.

I understand why you are keeping the torsion bars but I think I would prefer a coil over shock and keep the the upper control arms.
Also, anything to look for in ML's? Anything to stay away from?
This work? It's gone down $600 since the last time I looked at it so I might have to jump http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5538418550.html

Gotcha, yeah I think they'd make a nice DD for the interim.

After getting this thing buttoned up as a completed roller, I can tell you with certainty that we aren't going to go through the torsion bar ordeal again. The next go around is definitely going to be redesigned to use a coilover or air shock set up. The torsion bars are just too light a spring rate and are so much more work to build mounts for rather than just integrating a coil over mount into the conversion brackets.

The ML's are pretty standard across the board. 98 and older has a 50 / 50 split on the transfer case rather than 48/52. Other than that, not a whole lot of differences to my knowledge. This website has a lot of good information on it about MLs;
http://4x4abc.com/ML320/ML_specsIII.html

That ML isn't bad, but you can get them with less mileage for cheaper than $1800. I've seen good running ones for $1500 with well under 200k miles.

-Rob

onemanarmy

Explorer
Wow. On many accounts.

Had no idea MLs were that cheap.
The van prototyping is killer work. And the bumper too! I feel certain you will be successful.
Where is the shop?
Any more info on that Tracker? (needs a ZR2 sticker)
Who did you work with/for previously?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Yes the late 1990s and the early 2000s where some dark days for Mercedes reliability which gave them a black eye for those years. Based on friends who have them - the problems seemed to have gotten worked out though and the cars became reliable-ish and racked up many miles. It does result in low prices and a good supply of vehicles for the conversions!

Be aware that the ML320 is the only one with the 3.70 diff ratio which is close to the sprinters to allow the conversion - other models seem to have different ratios...

Glad to hear the torsion bars are not likely to be used - didn't see how that would work on mine and other heavier Sprinters.

BajaVan

Observer
Wow. On many accounts.

Had no idea MLs were that cheap.
The van prototyping is killer work. And the bumper too! I feel certain you will be successful.
Where is the shop?
Any more info on that Tracker? (needs a ZR2 sticker)
Who did you work with/for previously?

Yeah, MLs are a pretty great bang for the buck craigslist buy. I would really like to build an ML55 AMG into a rock crawler. Soon....

Thanks for the vote of confidence and kind words. We are really working hard to make this company work and be around for a long time. Our shop is in Atascadero, CA.

Tons of info on the Tracker. Here's a link to the build thread on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzu...e-after-hours-build-project-snail-tracks.html

I spent a couple years building it after hours at my old job. I worked at Synergy MFG. for nearly 8 years. Started out there while I was still in college as a basic fabricator back when it was Poly Performance MFG. Ended up being the head engineer for several years before deciding to move on and start Van Compass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz