Pita Van 4x4 Conversion

Riptide

Explorer
Intrigued by the Cayenne wheels... Same bolt pattern?

The whole ECU thing is precisely why I haven't moved forward with my own Sprinter 4wd conversion (well, that, and time and money)... I have a factory Oberaigner drivetrain that will probably bolt right up, but getting the electrons to play is outside of my skill set...

BajaVan

Observer
Intrigued by the Cayenne wheels... Same bolt pattern?

The whole ECU thing is precisely why I haven't moved forward with my own Sprinter 4wd conversion (well, that, and time and money)... I have a factory Oberaigner drivetrain that will probably bolt right up, but getting the electrons to play is outside of my skill set...

We'll get it ironed out. We just don't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to the 4wd conversion project right now. As soon as we get it ironed out we will happily share the information.

The Porsche Cayenne & VW Touareg wheels are the same bolt pattern, they just require some machining to the inner bore diameter to clear the sprinter hub.

Riptide

Explorer
Anything new, Rob? I am considering ordering your lift kit, but want to see where you are on the 4wd conversion kit, so I don't end up removing stuff later...

Plus, I might need to start looking for an ML... ;-)

BajaVan

Observer
Not a whole lot to update, just been tweaking it and trying to put as many miles on it as possible. Ditched the torsion bars for a 5" stroke Fox 2.0 coilover and changed the bumpstop configuration. The van rides so much better, the ML torsion bars just didn't have enough spring rate to them. I also went through and changed all the wheel bearings and lower balljoints on the van since the original donor ML had 230k+ miles on it and everything looked pretty original. I need to snap some better photos of the improved front end, but here's a teaser:

Got around to installing the laser cut version of the tone rings.

Other than that, I've just been doing basic maintenance on the van and driving it as much as possible. We are at the point where we need to do another conversion before we can bring this to market. We are just pretty slammed with our other production projects right now. We need to dedicate most of our time to the Transit and newer Sprinter parts. Making parts for this thing has been eating up a lot of our time;

philos

Explorer
I like how you consider ditching torsion bars and engineering coilovers to work as nothing major...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riptide

Explorer
Not a whole lot to update, just been tweaking it and trying to put as many miles on it as possible. Ditched the torsion bars for a 5" stroke Fox 2.0 coilover and changed the bumpstop configuration. The van rides so much better, the ML torsion bars just didn't have enough spring rate to them...

Other than that, I've just been doing basic maintenance on the van and driving it as much as possible. We are at the point where we need to do another conversion before we can bring this to market. We are just pretty slammed with our other production projects right now. We need to dedicate most of our time to the Transit and newer Sprinter parts. Making parts for this thing has been eating up a lot of our time.

Well please don't give up on it. I'm counting on this to finally get my Westy AWD... Pat

BajaVan

Observer
Well please don't give up on it. I'm counting on this to finally get my Westy AWD... Pat

Definitely not giving up on it. We have way too many hours into it and this conversion just works way too well to not iron out the last few details and bring it to market. The van is an absolute sports car with AWD and the current tunes we are running in the Fox's at each corner.

krh

Convinced my wife to let me buy a 2004 T1N under the pretense I'd be able to get it converted to AWD... don't let me down! 😉

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94