Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack - Yakima or Thule Box on Top

• Thread starter High Country Nomads
  • Start date
H

High Country Nomads

So I've had this K9 on my 4Runner for sometime, and space inside the truck is tight. We are going to buy one of those space cases, but I'd rather not do the bars and towers. Have any K9 owners tried installed the box directly to the rack, possibly running bolts thru the rack and case? If you have pictures please share. Thanks

stormlover

Adventurer
So I've had this K9 on my 4Runner for sometime, and space inside the truck is tight. We are going to buy one of those space cases, but I'd rather not do the bars and towers. Have any K9 owners tried installed the box directly to the rack, possibly running bolts thru the rack and case? If you have pictures please share. Thanks

Bump. I'm curious what your solution was. I'm about to buy a K9 rack and looking at storage options. I have a manual penthouse on a van and my box is 50lb alone. I'm thinking of using a competitor's storage bag(s) instead for roll-up tables, chairs, and miscellaneous stuff that I might throw in a box. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/roof-rack-transit-bag-extra-large.html

krax

Adventurer
There's a number of guys who install pelican and similar cases on roof racks by bolting through it. I can't imagine it being all that different with an aero-shaped cargo box.

As for the bags, they're definitely lighter and cheaper than most cargo boxes, but you trade some security and aerodynamics.

stormlover

Adventurer
There's a number of guys who install pelican and similar cases on roof racks by bolting through it. I can't imagine it being all that different with an aero-shaped cargo box.

As for the bags, they're definitely lighter and cheaper than most cargo boxes, but you trade some security and aerodynamics.

hmmm, that's true. But security aside, you can lash a bag or box that is 10 to 12" high directly to the rack. Currently, if you want to use a Yak or Thule box on the K9 you have to use both the towers and bar so the box sticks up 20" or more above the flat surface of the rack. Not sure what is more aerodynamic. I'm probably over-thinking it and for sure the boxes look fine on a 4x4 van; unlike some other expedition vehicles. For the vanity aspect that is.

krax

Adventurer
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. I assumed you were wanting to attach a Yakima box directly to the K9 rack without the use of bars and towers.

Since the bottom of the Yakima boxes are generally flat, I think all you'd have to do is remove the "feet" from the box, drill four or so holes that are in line with the slots on the rack, and attach it with bolts. You'll probably want to use large washers or some kind of plate around the bolts since the plastic on those boxes is thinner and more flexible than a pelican.

stormlover

Adventurer
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. I assumed you were wanting to attach a Yakima box directly to the K9 rack without the use of bars and towers.

Since the bottom of the Yakima boxes are generally flat, I think all you'd have to do is remove the "feet" from the box, drill four or so holes that are in line with the slots on the rack, and attach it with bolts. You'll probably want to use large washers or some kind of plate around the bolts since the plastic on those boxes is thinner and more flexible than a pelican.

Yes, you are correct. Seems like that would work just fine. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the rack here soon. Thanks for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz