2012 Tundra Rear suspension advice for Popup Camper

tele'n

Observer
picked up a new to me Sunlite Eagle popup camper weighing around 1200lbs or so. of course the Tundra isn't capable of such a load... looking to see what you guys think of switching to the OME spring kit or whether airbags or trimbren's would do it? the truck has a leveling kit in the front so when i have that camper in there now it is even worse. i'm hoping just to do the changes to the rear suspension. i plan on adding torklifts to the rear as the bumper tiedowns don't seem to be recommended for the Tundra... although i was planning on the bumpers mounts originally.

zidaro

Explorer
'10 4x4 Crewmax.
my northstar tc650 is a few hundred past yours.
you'll ruin your bumper if you take it off the pavement (or drive mex. hwys :) ) I addd an exp.1 Steel plate rear bumper with the standard cleats, it works great.

your going to need airbags. I really like my setup now that i am running the daystar airbag cradle. It allows the spring to flex and articulate without the limitations of the airbag connected at both ends.

or you get stiff springs. this is a fine option if you are leaving the camper on full time, as the ride will be fine carrying a load, super rough if bed is empty.

tele'n

Observer
thanks for the post. i saw that in your thread about the bumper. did you use a recessed Happijac mount bolted onto the bumper? did you put an on-board air system to change the PSI? i suppose once it is set you don't need to modify it if you are loaded with the camper. perhaps a simple question but i have little experience with airbag setups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz