Tips for Overland/Offroad Drone Photography?

Brewtus

Adventurer
I just bought a Blade Chroma Quadcopter with a CGO3 4k camera for use in documenting and filming our overland trips. I've taken it out and flown it a few times and it seems fairly simple, but does anyone have any obscure tips for filming with drones while off-road?

Thanks in advance.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Good question

I purchased a Yuneec Q500 and one thing i love about it is the follow me feature. It hovers over or around you and films or takes pictures. In remote areas I'm really looking to use this feature for panoramic shots and video. The drone simply follows the remote control so there's no trying to drive your Overlander and copter the drone. They certainly put a whole new spin, pun intended, on things:wings:! I'll be using next month for a two week venture out west. Look forward to what you come up with. Cheers!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Same here, got a Chroma as well. Haven't done any filming yet other than playing around the yard so I'm no help.

I don't know if it's been adjusted on the Chroma models, or the ST10+, but I'd experiment and see how it behaves in "Follow me" mode in regard to elevation. I think some of the more recent models might be smart enough to go up/down with you, but it's possible if you take off low, and drive up a hill, your drone might ********** the side if it on the way up.

The weather is starting to consistently stay warm here so I've been looking forward to getting it out on an open stretch of river bottom and seeing how it does.

v_man

Explorer
I took a solo trip out the Mojave and the Sierra recently with my DJI 3 . I intended to use follow me mode only to find that my latest iPad didn't have GPS , so make sure your tablet and UAV will work together on follow me mode before you get out in the field ...

Other than that , in the vids I've made , I find it best to do really steady flight and camera movements. This is because in the editing process , I usually speed up the footage , and any quick, jerky movements are amplified when the video is sped up .

Also shots backing up , basically away from the subject , are useful in spicing up the footage.

Lastly , get a good case , extra batteries , and a way to charge them off the car .

Here's a couple of my videos ...

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Oh, this might be a tip. I made a cheap case for the Chroma from a wal-mart tote and the Styrofoam packaging it came with. Not as durable as the $200 case I'm sure, but for $10, well I'll use it until I find I have to get something better.

GPpKzOx2UdJy1bYYb5J7tTAFksFHyYNDM_MFfmNSqfQqiNKKYeyKUWOi25JV3Q7hlpPp1Q_x00Fs0JEi87AlmG-hpkxjLvWh9yOc2VEbJlo1bmz8MwUskieAhysjjn1W0YUuW0SyojOTRqZUyY1-d626SMaKTeCOxsRC4KWmhQ67nRGJGAlj4f9xWJRIEqre1pHKd7iRvS_Fs_955pGzajflqKA8nOoUhUhrhO3-04snyatjUEr4lsZmg62Ogtf5Gi9-sK3GZrnT7kT_rIqgM43dIN2LCDPJ2NMOsLZtI7qa6BoGjOwZWzdcFwYfgyairMYg1DoCOyY3Aflsjtkvr6X-oRZL4h9IOaVMJTX5hcL9X3JMOckqye6EwG6Um0_JlFIgFiks40SqgUR9JPWwVvl-95l48hdPw4r0n5r9E6IYR4HMrUP_jnBj2IZIfkN54jrvbhFax7quj4EQtoYS2HT7bR856z1zRHZDNm_jvAz8CHbkWWVUYEBSUlD1d3UNSAXlg53JeLDwkJYIlZQ_guVeQIzwMu91P-oHZ65OA0np4TnuMIpTmzbDIVSsRRjY0Eht=w477-h357-no

Brewtus

Adventurer
I don't know if it's been adjusted on the Chroma models, or the ST10+, but I'd experiment and see how it behaves in "Follow me" mode in regard to elevation. I think some of the more recent models might be smart enough to go up/down with you, but it's possible if you take off low, and drive up a hill, your drone might ********** the side if it on the way up.

I haven't checked the elevation thing, but I probably won't be using the follow mode like I thought I would because it has to be in "Smart" mode, which is both slow and not smart. Smart mode was actually responsible for me crashing it the first time.

Oh, this might be a tip. I made a cheap case for the Chroma from a wal-mart tote and the Styrofoam packaging it came with. Not as durable as the $200 case I'm sure, but for $10, well I'll use it until I find I have to get something better.

Mine came with the Chroma flight case (which is excellent by the way... very recommend). But that does look like a good economical solution, especially as the flight cases are sold out.

I took a solo trip out the Mojave and the Sierra recently with my DJI 3 . I intended to use follow me mode only to find that my latest iPad didn't have GPS , so make sure your tablet and UAV will work together on follow me mode before you get out in the field ...

That's actually one of the nice things about the Chroma, the controller has the camera display and control built into the camera, no tablet needed.

Other than that , in the vids I've made , I find it best to do really steady flight and camera movements. This is because in the editing process , I usually speed up the footage , and any quick, jerky movements are amplified when the video is sped up .

Also shots backing up , basically away from the subject , are useful in spicing up the footage.

Lastly , get a good case , extra batteries , and a way to charge them off the car .

Here's a couple of my videos ...

Apologies in advance for sounding preachy, especially as you responded to offer advice (which I do appreciate), but if I may point something out and offer you some advice, it might save you getting into serious trouble in the future:

In your second video you flew your drone at someone and flew it in and around a radio communications array? Setting aside the fact that both are expressly illegal and very clearly spelled out when you get your FAA sUAS licence, I can imagine few places which would be more risky to fly in.

Wikipedia said:
Santiago Peak is a radio site with buildings owned by American Tower, Crown Castle, Mobile Relay Associates, Day Wireless, Orange County Communications, the United States Federal Government, the State of California, and Southern California Edison, among others.

Santiago Peak provides radio coverage over much of Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, and San Diego counties. It houses both broadcast and two-way communications facilities on virtually every frequency band, including FM broadcast, VHF low- and high-band, UHF, 800/900 MHz, and microwave.

There's enough risk of radio interference under normal circumstances. Even if we assume that the drone is too small to actually damage the equipment, if you had gotten interference and it went down on one of the towers, buildings or behind a fence, you'd be faced with leaving it, presumably with your sUAS licence number attached, or trespassing onto federal property to retrieve it. And lastly you filmed it and put it on the internet. My 0.02 worth, you might consider thinking out where you're flying a bit more next time.

Brewtus

Adventurer
Well, having used the drone a few more times now, I've learned a bit and thought I'd offer up my findings.

1. Batteries, Batteries, Batteries, Batteries. Get as many as you can afford and get a way to charge them in the field. I now have 4 batteries for a total of 2 hours of flight time. There are few things more frustrating than having a fantastic shot lined up and have no batteries to fly with. Especially on an expedition, you never know what vista will open up before you around the next bend. Also, beware of the cold as the batteries won't work as well. If it's really cold, heat them up in your windshield defrost before you put them in.

2. Beware of your location - This last weekend, I was filming a river crossing in a narrow valley with lots of trees. As I was entering the water with the drone above, for whatever reason, it reverted to its "return to home" feature. However, I suspect because GPS was patchy, it thought "home" was in the middle of the river. So it "landed" (watered?) in the middle of the river and became a submarine. To its credit, I dried it out and it appears to function still. But know your craft and learn to recognize when $h1t is headed south. If I had realized what was going on, I could have caught it before it hit the water.

3. Memory cards - Be sure to get the recommended card for your camera. For the Chroma, for it to function reliably, you need to have a FAT32 formatted Class 10 card. which means a limit of 32 GB. It's tempting to get the 64GB or larger, but those are formatted EXFAT and will frequently fail.

4. Be slow and smooth - If you're filming a shot and you think you're going slow, go even slower, especially when turning the camera. It can be painful at times to move slowly especially if you're filming something that happens quickly. I've thrown away a lot of footage now because I was moving far too fast. You can always speed it up without affecting quality, but you can't slow it down without it getting choppy.

5. One or two movements at a time - Similar to #4, it can get very distracting if you're doing multiple movements. Simple deliberate movements are much more effective and focus the viewers attention on the subject rather than the camera. Especially beware of spins. The drones move relatively slow side to side, but when you spin it's very noticeable and your field of view changes quickly.

6. Follow Through - Complete your shot. For instance, this weekend, as I was filming the water crossing, I got a fantastic straight down pull up shot looking into the sunroof of one of the landcruisers. However, I left the subject as he was climbing the other bank. It's still a usable shot, but it would have been much more useful if I had stuck with him until he was completely clear of the water.

7. Choreograph and Direct - Even for things that are supposed to be candid, at the very least, hold someone up (say from crossing a river) until you're in position, and you've practiced the camera move at least once.

9. Be deliberate in your filming - I've been out several times with it on trips; a few with the intent of "Adventure first and film where possible along the way." And the rest "We're here to film an adventure." If you want really great footage, you have to work for it and be willing to stop and take it out spend 5 minutes getting it set up, 5-10 minutes composing the shot, 5-10 minutes shooting/reshooting, 5-10 minutes putting everything back away. If you're going to be adding time to the trip in 30 minute chunks, everyone who is on the trip with you needs to be in agreement that you're there to film, otherwise they'll get frustrated at the delays because they just want to get to camp.

10. Have a Vision - The best footage I've ever gotten has come from having a shot in mind. Whether it be a straight down traverse over trees with a tilt up to reveal a snow capped mountain range, or a strafing tracking shot of a vehicle with a spin around the front and pedestal up to see a large rock outcrop in the desert as the vehicle fades off into the distance. You can start to have your visions by doing several things: listen to soundtrack music, watch national geographic videos, watch Expedition Overland, 4xOverland, Chelsea and Tony Northrup, DSLR Guide, and Richard Michalak's "Cinematography Learn From a Master" on youtube. But most importantly, pay attention to what the camera is doing, see how they set the shot up and captured the moment. Sometimes it won't be perfect, but you'll have the concept in mind and a subject will present itself. The shot above traversing over a forest looking down with a pan up to reveal snow capped mountains, started in my head as a close up traverse over open water with a pan up to reveal a tall tree line at the edge of the lake with a rise to just clear the top of the trees and reveal the snow capped mountains set to occur at the emotional climax of an epic orchestral score (in this case Magnificent Journey by Sound Adventures). I couldn't get an angle that worked for that despite looking all weekend, but when I came around the bend at Santiam Pass in the late afternoon heading home, the new shot just presented itself, and it is by far the best footage, to my mind, that I've ever gotten.

Anyways, that's what I've got for now. More to come as I get better, specifically better at not crashing it into the river.

NetDep

Adventurer
Great tips from all -- keenly watching this topic and found this thread via search!!

@Brewtus - WOW!! Thanks for sharing that with us (me). Those are ALL some amazing tips. I just got a dji Phantom 4 and want to integrate it into my travels/photography.

secretspy711

... Setting aside the fact that both are expressly illegal and very clearly spelled out when you get your FAA sUAS licence, I can imagine few places which would be more risky to fly in.

That's actually incorrect on 2 counts.
While it might not have been a good idea, it's not expressly illegal as long as it's for hobby purposes only (non commercial). I'm actually surprised it didn't lose signal though. There are similar UHF antennas near where I live and a buddy of mine actually flies near them intentionally to test the robustness of various long range RC systems. (All eventually go into RTH mode, some sooner than others.) And also, flying at someone, isnt illegal if he is a participant. Looked like he was. Secondly it's not a "license," it's simply a registration. The FAA would like you to believe that the limitation items you agreed to when giving them your $5 are regulations, but they are not. They said so.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Lucky j

Explorer
Quick question for all of you guys drone operator.

How serious are you about respecting no fly zone in national and state park? Will you respect no mater what, or will it depend on location within the said area and the fact that you seem to be alone??

secretspy711

National parks are a no-no, I would respect that. If they find you they may arrest you. State parks depends on the state, gotta look it up to see if there is a legit law on the books prohibiting it. Worst that might happen there is a citation or attempted citation for whatever sticks, or they ask you to leave.

That said, if you fly into a park while physically standing outside the perimeter, you're technically ok but don't crash. Might not be smart though.

secretspy711

I should​ clarify that it's not actually an FAA no-fly zone. The prohibition against drones in national parks is based on a federal law that basically says the national parks administrator can make up whatever regulation he wants.

moabian

How serious are you about respecting no fly zone in national and state park?

Very serious...as everyone should be. I live near 2 national parks where rangers respond almost daily (sometimes multiple times a day) to complaints of some obnoxious jerk flying a drone where it should not be flown. Until they develop a completely silent drone (and require some type of safety-based certification for every drone pilot), they don't belong in national parks. As a professional photographer and FAA-certified drone operator, I'd love to be able to shoot in the parks...but I respect and agree with the current drone ban in the parks. There are simply too many stupid humans out there who own drones but do not have the appropriate skill or judgment to fly them.

Lucky j

Explorer
Thank you for honnest answer.

I try to be responsible in how I use my drone, try to deal with regulation FAA, Canada Transport, park and such, but I see so many vids that seams to be done w/o respect to those regulation that I sometime wonder if I'm not beeing over compliant with such rules.

Just to let you guys know, canadian rules just became even more restrictives than FAA. You are not alowed to use a drone above 90 meter from take off altitude, less than (this is on top of my head) 150 meter from people, buildings, vehicule, animals of any kind and of course away from airfield, no canadian park what so ever, including marine preservation, so no whale shouting at all within park limits, quebec national park is also a nono. And also include maximum distance from take off position of 500 m with drone in line of sight at all time. So forget about follow me mode, since you will probably move further than the take off position and kind of loose line of sight cause you have to have eyes on drone all the time.

So that does make almost any populated are a nono including city park beacause of minimal distance.
That by default inclued any skiing or close action vids.

And owner name with phone number on drone, a little like the FAA number as to be in the us. Fine can be pretty steep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles