Lift pump question for 03 cummins

c7train

Observer
I bought this truck (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148166-2003-Cummins-Quad-Cab-6-speed-86k-miles) a few weeks ago.It is extremely well sorted (beyond what I could have hoped), but has not had the lift pump replaced with a FASS or something yet. The truck is in immaculate shape and has 87k miles on it. I'd like to get another year or two out of the factory lift pump, is that realistic? The truck has never been beat on from what I can tell, everything works perfectly and he took great care of it from anything I can tell. I did lots of reading on here about lift pumps and the opinions vary greatly, but nothing mentions when they tend to fail, and how predictable said failure is. Can I relax about the lift pump being okay since it has such low miles? And all advice would help. Which brand would you say is best and why? I don't plan to mod the truck other than what it already has (intake exhaust) so I was thinking 95-100GPH should be plenty.

Best
C.

c7train

Observer
Hmmm, mine is on the side of the block still. I think I'll start setting aside some cash. I was just worried it would ruin my engine if it failed or something.

Last edited:

mp_tx

Observer
My stock 2003 lift pump has 208k on it and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matches130

Organizer
Those CP3 pumps aren't prone to fail from low fuel pressure like the older pumps were. The relocation to the fuel tank was made because it was found the block location caused too much vibration which resulted in premature pump failure. Mine was relocated at 60k miles and I saw my friends start to leak at 101k but did not fail. You can carry a spare if you like, it's not that difficult to replace.

Matt

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Those CP3 pumps aren't prone to fail from low fuel pressure like the older pumps were. The relocation to the fuel tank was made because it was found the block location caused too much vibration which resulted in premature pump failure. Mine was relocated at 60k miles and I saw my friends start to leak at 101k but did not fail. You can carry a spare if you like, it's not that difficult to replace.

Matt

Agreed, the lift pump is pretty easy to replace.

cliniford

Observer
The lift pump in my 03 died at 120k. Truck still ran but showed 0 fuel pressure. Tried a Raptor pump that lasted about 15k miles before it died. Now I have the FASS Ti150 and it is a great pump. CP3 are expensive and while not as fragile as the older vp44, they still do not like having no fuel pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior