DIY Expo roof rack.

stoverjoe

I couldn't find the "right" one, so I built my own. About $50 in materials and about 30 pounds in weight.

What do you think?20160414_183959resize.jpg

stoverjoe

Actually I used 3/4" galvanized conduit along with some 1.25" conduit in higher stressed areas. It's definitely not as strong some racks, but I don't like the idea of putting alot of weight that high up anyway.

stoverjoe

I used the same material on both of mine. Use it all the time. Powdercoated mine tho.

I built mine as more of a "proof of concept". When i am finished modifying it, I'll pull it and sandblast it and get it powdercoated. Nice job BTW.

Very nice! Any pics on how it attaches to the roof?

I don't have any pictures but basically I welded a collar nut into the end of the "legs" of the rack, drilled holes and ran bolts and washers up from the inside. Before i tightened them down, I sealed around the bolt, under the "leg". I let that skin over and then snugged them up a little more, then when the sealant had cured, I tightened them down.

stoverjoe

I will be adding a 52" led light bar to the front of the rack, and LED floods on each side and the back. But I'm married so I can't spend ALL my time in the garage... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94