2008 Suzuki SX4 Weekend Adventure Build

My new to me stock 2008 Suzuki SX4 8/28/15
IMG_0065.JPG
Novline floor mats
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
I had the car undercoated and I also added a Curt trailer hitch, Rocky Road Outfitters skid plate with and a custom made rear differential skid plate.
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG
I also added inexpensive cross bars with a kayak rack and a Reese sportwing 2 bike carrier
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG

Last edited:
when the time came to replace the tires I replaced them with a set of General Grabbers AT2 215 65 16
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
I also mounted a CB and antenna along with other miscellaneous electrical work
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG

I removed the rear seat and added a roof rack for added space.
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1390.JPG
This is just a rough idea of what I'm thinking about for a floor plan.
floor plan.jpg

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I hope you're short! I'm 5'10.5" and I sure can't sleep in the back. I did find a way however, if you slip the passenger seat all the way forward, tilt it all the way forward and stack up about 3 pillows on the back of it you can fit.

Good to see another SX4 build on here!

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Very cool! I have been a Suzuki lover for years, worked for them until they left the states, and own 3, including a SX4 crossover tech. I have found that once you lock the diff, it is amazing what you can do with these things! We lifted a couple of them, and although they look cool, it puts a ton of stress on the suspension and can start breaking. Otherwise, I think you will find they are about unstoppable! Good move on the skids and armor, protect the vitals!

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Very cool! I have been a Suzuki lover for years, worked for them until they left the states, and own 3, including a SX4 crossover tech. I have found that once you lock the diff, it is amazing what you can do with these things! We lifted a couple of them, and although they look cool, it puts a ton of stress on the suspension and can start breaking. Otherwise, I think you will find they are about unstoppable! Good move on the skids and armor, protect the vitals!
Interested in hearing what started breaking on them. I think I can probably say I've put my SX4 through more than anyone else and it's taken everything in stride. Not once has it broken anything, nor does it show any signs of anything breaking any time soon. There's been many times where I've come off a ledge or bounced over a rock at too high of speed (no low-range so sometimes unavoidable) and I thought for sure I would bend or snap something but the little tank just takes it. I haven't even had to align it since I installed the lift. All my drive axle angles are safe, axle seals are fine. This is over 100,000km on the lift now.

Only thing I say is weakness with these cars are wheel bearings. I replaced my rear bearings at 60,000km, my fronts at 115,000km, and I just received another set of rears I ordered because after I did the fronts I noticed my passenger rear is back to making noise again. But with the price drop of all these aftermarket companies now making bearings for it and how easy the rears are to replace, I really don't see it as a big deal. And since it's been pretty well documented now that name brand bearings like Timbren last no longer than the cheap chinese copies (at least on this application) I'm just going to replace them all every 50,000km just as a precaution. You can do all four for under $200 now (the fronts are press-in, you need to make a friend who owns a press).

christianoffroad

Cheap Adventurer!
Interested in hearing what started breaking on them. I think I can probably say I've put my SX4 through more than anyone else and it's taken everything in stride. Not once has it broken anything, nor does it show any signs of anything breaking any time soon. There's been many times where I've come off a ledge or bounced over a rock at too high of speed (no low-range so sometimes unavoidable) and I thought for sure I would bend or snap something but the little tank just takes it. I haven't even had to align it since I installed the lift. All my drive axle angles are safe, axle seals are fine. This is over 100,000km on the lift now.

Only thing I say is weakness with these cars are wheel bearings. I replaced my rear bearings at 60,000km, my fronts at 115,000km, and I just received another set of rears I ordered because after I did the fronts I noticed my passenger rear is back to making noise again. But with the price drop of all these aftermarket companies now making bearings for it and how easy the rears are to replace, I really don't see it as a big deal. And since it's been pretty well documented now that name brand bearings like Timbren last no longer than the cheap chinese copies (at least on this application) I'm just going to replace them all every 50,000km just as a precaution. You can do all four for under $200 now (the fronts are press-in, you need to make a friend who owns a press).

I cant say we really saw anything really common breaking in the drivetrains on these! Like you pointed out, they are a little tank! Only things I saw regularly were the A/C line cracking up top by the condenser, the passenger seat presence system problems (recalled) and the occasional HVAC case not draining due to not replacing the cabin air filter and it fills up with leaves! I did do a few engines, but usually due to poor maintenance, overheated, or water ingestion. Otherwise, you cant beat these little beasts for the price and performance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles