09 F350 shocks?

dumprat

Adventurer
I am sorry this thread is getting very off topic. Personal, actual first hand info on shocks for a coil sprung SD please.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Coils sprung Superduties need more damping up front than the leaf spring models. The smoother you want, just go further and further up the Carli $$$ list. But the further up you go, the more you compromise towing. Towing with a 4" lift and 38" tires, stinks.

IME, it's the lack of proper damping that makes the ride harsh. Usually firm shocks smooth out the ride a bit. Firm, but controlled. My factory shocks were extremely harsh in the front at 100,000 miles.

thethePete

Explorer
We've given you lots of personal, first hand experience for SD suspension. You just don't like the answers.

Carli is the only real, off-the-shelf-ish solution for a good-riding SD. Your other option is to play around with various levels of aftermarket shocks and see if you can find one that suits what you're after. Springs are springs. The shock is what will improve your ride. My rear springs are clapped right out on my truck and I have a new set sitting here to go in this weekend, but I threw my shocks on last week because I was sick of the ride quality and even with my W shaped rear leafs, the ride quality was immeasurably better. Once I put fresh springs on, I do suspect it will improve drastically, but the point is a better shock will get you further along than hunting down the ideal "variable rate" spring. Carli will give you a "kit" that you can bolt on and walk away. Your other option is to pony up for some rebuildable shocks and spend the time valving them to suit your desired ride.

What would you like to hear us tell you?

dumprat

Adventurer
Pete you have given my a large sales pitch for Carli, nothing more. I am interested in opinions from something other than a Surrey commando. Please go away.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Pete you have given my a large sales pitch for Carli, nothing more. I am interested in opinions from something other than a Surrey commando. Please go away.

Too bad he's right.

My home built setup posted before is fine, and an improvement, and far cheaper than Carli's better kits. But if you're willing to put a real suspension under a Superduty, Carli absolutely smokes my setup, and everything from BDS, Pure Performance, Fabtech/Skyjacker/Superlift/Pure Comp (hilljack garbage).

Carli has done their homework and the King shocks they offer are well tuned to the Superduty and Dodge trucks. Noone else is specializing in those two trucks and only those two trucks the way Carli has.

Last edited:

dumprat

Adventurer
I looked at your build thread Buliwyf but you never posted what you did for suspension.

Took the truck for a blast up a very good gravel road on weds day night. It defiantly needs more caster and the factory overload springs are going to leave. Feels heavy and would but floats into corners.

So I have some questions does this truck have a lift in it? Do you lower you tire pressure off road? How can you tell it needs more caster?

dumprat

Adventurer
Truck doesn't have a lift. No I don't air down for running 70 KMH on gravel. Airing down is for wheeling. I run the fronts at 65 and the rears at 50psi(TPMS be damned).

Insufficient caster leads to a loose and wandery road feel and no ability to self center. Try driving a 78 1/2 ton with a 3" lift with stock "C" bushings. Not something you forget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94