1997 Explorer Build

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I was out recently on a snow wheeling trip. A massive spring storm dumped up to 40" in places around the state. At my house we got 16 very wet inches of snow. But where we went wheeling, the snow was anywhere from knee to waist deep and was pretty fluffy.

While trying to climb a steep slippery hill, I used my MaxTrax several times. They worked great but one of the times I pulled them out of the snow, I saw that I was missing a chunk of one. "That's not supposed to happen" I thought.

I emailed MaxTrax on Monday night and sent them the picture. I got an immediate response saying that they are not supposed to break and would send me a replacement. Friday afternoon the FedEx truck pulled up in front of my house and out comes a MaxTrax sized cardboard box. Boom!

The snow was so fun to go blasting through!

FLoffroad1

Observer
That's great. Service like that could make that MSRP a little easier to swallow.

I can't believe how much snow you guys have.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Nice build thread.
That last pic reminds me of what we refered to in highschool as "drift punching". We'd just ram through snow drifts at speed. It was all fun and games untill unbeknownst to us the engine compartment became so packed with snow that the radiator fan couldnt spin and the ranger got a little hot.

Good fun though.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I traced down some movement in the suspension to a worn heim joint in the track bar. I couldn't get the joint out of the track bar no matter what I tried.

And the track bar itself contacts the upper control arm on the differential, so I ordered parts to make a new one. However, this is what showed up in the box:

$140 worth of wine.

That's great and all, but I didn't have my truck parts. I should have them on Tuesday.

I also pulled the headliner so I could install those rails from my Expedition. I used fender washers and RTV to seal the holes I drilled in the roof:

The headliner came out much easier than I thought. I picked up 3 more cross rails at the junkyard- so now there's a total of 5. Everything is installed, but with no track bar installed, I don't want to drive it out of the garage to get a good picture.

Oobray

Adventurer
Awesome build, really great pics to go along too!! Love the family trips. Wish I lived somewhere that had those quick destinations. Oklahoma has some great places, but camping season is really only Nov-April. What's the RPM's like with those 4:56 at highway speeds?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
RPMs were pretty high initially with the 30" tires. 70 mph was about its top speed- at least comfortably. But now with the 33s, I'm equivalent to the factory option 4.10 gear ratio and stock tires (or real close). I don't really know what the RPMs are, but I can run 75-80 and get 16 mpg while doing it.

I used to live in Wichita, KS- I know what you mean. We never camped while we lived there.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Ran the Rim Rocker Trail from Montrose, CO to Moab, UT. Easy trail (when dry).

http://montrosecounty.maps.arcgis.c...x.html?appid=294f88f09b3c4002b4e9cd87511fe3b1

Easy trail. We left Montrose around 12:30. Found a camp site around 7:30. Left camp around 8:00 the next morning. Arrived in Moab at around 12:30. And this was stopping at nearly every major intersection to take notes and photograph the area so the trail could be documented for trailsoffroad.com.

shauniscndn

Adventurer
I love this thread as it give a guy like me inspiration for a longer term build. So many threads out there seem very quick to build which is great if you have the $$$ but saving for a few parts here and there & slow building is def my style. Beautiful & functional truck Tom

mounty71

Observer
Your Explorer has turned out really nice! I know I've seen it on Explorer Forum but don't think I kept up with the build. And I might have to grab one of those ARB drawers for mine eventually, looks like a much better solution than what I've been using.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier