Thoughts on a flat tow...

Olive236

Observer
Giving some thought to flat towing our '94 4Runner. It's got the 22R-E engine, 4wd, manual transmission. The owner's manual says, "We recommend using a towing dolly under the rear wheels. If you do not use a towing dolly, release the parking brake, put the transmission in neutral and the transfer in 'H2'". Sounds like Toyota doesn't like the idea but it's not an issue if one follows their directions.

Whatcha think?

bkg

Explorer
If it's the gear driven tcase, it is oiled by the i put shaft, iirc. Hence why flat towing or dolly towing is not recommended. Marlin dispelled some of the myths years ago - don't do it

A.Wilson013

Adventurer
I've read posts from all sorts of people saying don't do it, so I'd say you shouldn't.

However, I have seen a good amount of 2nd and 3rd gen 4runners being pulled behind motor homes. I even talked to one guy about it at a rest area and he said that after pulling it for 2 years and a wholeeee lotta miles, his 3rd gen still ran like a top.

forty2

Adventurer
Disconnect the rear driveshaft, make sure you're in 2H and go nuts, you won't hurt anything that way. If you leave the driveshaft connected and the trans in neutral it'll spin the trans output but not the layshaft that lubricates the trans and it's seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke