Arizona Strip - 2016 trip report

gt500

Great write up and beautiful pictures! I love the Arizona strip. I live near St. George and love to explore. I've been to many of the places on your report several times but you've provided me with some greatly needed intel for a couple of trips I'd like to do this fall. I haven't ever been all the way out to Mollie's Point or up Grand Gulch Canyon. Both are high on my bucket list. I've been to Copper Mountain Mine years ago but it was terribly washed out and I doubt your entire group would have made it then. However, last Fall I went to the bottom of the canyon from Mule Point pond and it was graded all the way down and as far as I could see down Parashant. I'd heard that they had repaired several impassable washouts. From the looks of your report it must be pretty doable again. Toroweap is one of my most favorite places in the world. Too bad everyone had left you by then.

Thanks for a great report.

NMBruce

Adventurer
I enjoyed following the trip, thank you very much for writing it up.

I need to get my butt on one of these trips

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
I enjoyed following the trip, thank you very much for writing it up.

I need to get my butt on one of these trips

Thanks! I noticed your from the Pagosa Springs area. We have friends who have a place near the end of what I believe is called "Four Mile Road" we're going up to that area to look at some property in October that may be for sale. Great area, the San Juan's are some great looking mountains.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:

NMBruce

Adventurer
It's really nice up here, been here for 2.5 years, PM sent.
Shelley, my girlfriend has a ranch listed up there.

Finally getting my GX470 off road ready.

dman93

Adventurer
Not sure how I stumbled across this TR, but it brought back great memories of a trip I did in 1988 through the strip, from Mesquite to Toroweap in my stock Ford Ranger with skinny (195/75) P metric tires, one of which succumbed on the drive out from Toroweap. I honestly don't remember too many landmarks except the Mt Trumbull schoolhouse, and of course Toroweap (which didn't get a lot of visitors then), but I do remember a lot of dead ends, gates and cows. There were a few tricky bits but nothing like what you guys did. Thanks for providing me an hour of fun reading, videos and beautiful photos.

Gs WK2

Thanks

Its over a year old, but wanted to say thank you for the excellent trip report. Your rig looks very nice too!

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Its over a year old, but wanted to say thank you for the excellent trip report. Your rig looks very nice too!

Thanks for the encouragement,

Planning on a revisit this winter again, maybe get to experience some more of this.........it's a lonely place in February.

IMG_1407_zpsxyprfclq.jpg

Thanks again,

Fred
Explorer 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles