Another Gen1 Tundra Thread

AaronK

Explorer
Hey all. I'm starting another build thread for my Tundra. I had started one shortly after I got the truck but accidentally deleted it while trying to edit the title. Pissed me off so bad that I didn't make another one until now.

The truck:
Tundra Snow Low 1800x1350 (Lowest Res).jpg

It's a 2002 Toyota Tundra Access Cab SR5 with 2UZ-FE. Purchased it May 2015 with 147k on the clock. As of now (April 2016), it's a hair over 160k. I'm the second owner and it looks like meticulous care was taken of the vehicle. For its age, it was in amazing condition. Small dent in the rear bumper is the only damage.
It was completely stock when I bought it, less the ridiculous wheels the previous owner felt compelled to separate themselves from money for. They're staying for now however because I don't want to pay for something that doesn't serve a purpose (outside of aesthetics). I'm kind of utilitarian that way.

Not much in the way of mods as it sits currently. I swapped out the no name all season tires that were on it for 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2s. Installed a couple LED lights in the factory fog light pockets. Installed a rear facing LED above my license plate.

More recently I managed to do this:
Tundra Collision.jpg

Lapse in paying attention and I bugger up my bumper, grill, and hood. However, I took this opportunity to order an ARB Saraha bar. It was supposed to be in this week but when I checked with ARB, the ship carrying it hasn't actually left AUS yet...

I have sliders being fabbed by a local shop and should have those sometime soon.

Initially I was opposed to the whole dual battery thing, which seems to be so quintessential to "expedition rigs" these days. I wanted more simplicity and less gadgets to fail. However on our first camping trip of the season last week, a door got left ajar and the interior lights killed my primary battery. The idea of being out somewhere and having to rely on someone else for a jump or carrying a self contained jump box (an additional piece of equipment to pack every time) has changed my position on the subject. I have parts on order to build a dual battery system and will be starting that soon as well.

With so much going on at the moment, it seems like a good time to restart my build thread.

Thanks for reading!

AaronK

Explorer
So I think I've settled on front suspension. OME 90004 nitro charger struts with 885 coils. That with a diff drop (which isn't really necessary but I'm going to do it anyway) and coil compression tool will run me about $500. Not too shabby.

Rear suspension mods, if anything, will be dependent on final front height after my ARB bumper shows up.

I'll ponder this setup for the the day and probably order tonight.

AaronK

Explorer
Just got an email from my fab guy. Sliders are coming along nicely!
IMG_59581_zpsyhmgtgie.jpg

OME struts came today:
IMG_20160506_122105_zpsrr71wmcz.jpg

Springs should be here Monday.
Planning on having the suspension work done this coming week and get an alignment next weekend.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

PaintRock

Adventurer
I'm interested to see how that suspension works for you. What amount of lift, if any will that provide? Are you going to do the install yourself? I'm thinking about throwing a few upgrades at mine this Fall, before hunting season.

AaronK

Explorer
I'm anticipating around 2.5". We'll see though.
This combination isn't technically for a tundra but there's several guys out there running it with good results.

seanpistol

Explorer
If I remember correctly, the 2UZ weighs about 180 lbs more than the 4.0L V6. About the difference of the added weight from a steel plate bumper and winch on a Taco.

The 885 is for lifting a stock Tacoma. The 886 is for lifting a Tacoma with a bumper and winch.

I used to run the 886 with the stock bumper on my Tundra. Had about 2.5" of lift set on the bottom perch and the ride was great.

AaronK

Explorer
Well that's a bummer. Looks like I might be needing 886s then as I'll be adding an ARB bumper when it shows up. Were you running them on 5100s? Not sure how the spring perch locations on those compare to the OME 90004. OME is fixed though.

seanpistol

Explorer
Yes, I was on 5100s. The bottom spring perch location should be the same as the only perch on the OME shock since they are not a "lifting shock".

I think you are DEFINITELY going to need the 886. Don't be surprised if you end up with quite a bit less than the expected 2.5" of lift after adding the bumper with the 886 coils. They are only a 660 lb spring, and they'll stand tall for the first day or two.

This is a large reason why I eventually went to coilovers. You won't find a heavier spring rate than the 660lb OME 886 coils for the stock style strut. Plus, you're stuck at about 6.5" of travel.

AaronK

Explorer
Do you happen to know the spring rate for the factory springs? Trying to get a feel for how everything compares to stock.

I guess I'll install the 885s for now since I bought them already and reevaluate once they're installed and the bumper shows up. I'm sure I can unload them to a local taco guy if need be.

seanpistol

Explorer
Stock Tundra coils are around 595 lbs.

The OME 885 is 590 lbs.

The 886 is also 7mm taller than the 885.

Get your money back for the 885s... they're not even worth your time!

AaronK

Explorer
There seem to be inconsistent results with this configuration. Your experience was poor. Here's a shot of forum member Two Track's tundra with the same front components I've ordered add well as a 1.5" AAL in back:
tapatalk_1462727310417_zps9lhgoi17.jpeg

885s are already inbound so I'm going to lose money either way if I don't use them. Will cost me to ship them back or I take a hit on the cost if I resell them. Might as well put them on as an experiment and/or because I'm a glutton for punishment.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
There seem to be inconsistent results with this configuration. Your experience was poor. Here's a shot of forum member Two Track's tundra with the same front components I've ordered add well as a 1.5" AAL in back:
tapatalk_1462727310417_zps9lhgoi17.jpeg

885s are already inbound so I'm going to lose money either way if I don't use them. Will cost me to ship them back or I take a hit on the cost if I resell them. Might as well put them on as an experiment and/or because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Is the 885 with 5100? If so I can see 5100/885 giving you lift

I had 5100 and factory trd springs set at 2.5 and it held its height even with my heavy bumper.

AaronK

Explorer
That picture is using OME Nitro charger 90004s which is also what I've ordered.
Based on Sean's breakdown of spring rates, he's right I should get very minimal lift only because it's a longer spring. But TwoTrack seems to have gotten great results.
Time for an experiment...to the lab!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94