Another Gen1 Tundra Thread

AaronK

Explorer
Off topic for a minute... My wife has been getting bored with being a passenger. She tried wheeling the tundra last summer and wasn't comfortable with its size. We've been passively looking for a wheeler for her ever since.
At the Northwest Overland Rally they had a women's only driving course. A friend lent my wife her JK Rubicon for the class. It got her that much more excited to get her own vehicle. The following Monday,a co worker dropped a deal in my lap I couldn't refuse. Meet Pancho...a 1990 Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick) on 31s. My wife is ecstatic...if you couldn't tell from the picture.
fc8e6c6864cc33eb4be1401f0c9e4252.jpg
ed17ed67a9ec4ec2f0a818e7c6d6eeff.jpg
a35d4912933b9cbfc84c39c6494b9737.jpg
6f02e6fbde40d37c630340c17a9aa42c.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
A couple more updates...

The roof rack on the DCC is for commercial use. Ladders and things that just get strapped down. There are no attachment points built in. There's lots of cool stuff in the market for mounting gear. Different rails and extruded aluminum t slot stuff. They're all cool and they're all really expensive.
So being the cheap @$$ I am, I used a product that does the same job for a lot less money. Good old uni strut! All the same features but for $1.70 a foot.
Not wanting to drill holes in my rack yet, I opted to attach them with u bolts.

Using some all thread I added mounting points for my bridging boards.

Got some uni strut joining brackets to mount up a pair of side flood lights and moved my 24" bar from the bumper to the rack for a big wash while night wheeling.

d74f174382e17d452a0dc92bc2d3b189.jpg
56cb97ebaa45a73397537101a06766bd.jpg
1741889a28b32ef5286b9338ce2f8e39.jpg

lhanson

Adventurer
Here's what I got if you're interested:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CJ634KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_LKSlzbYJ3W7G7
Wish they came in a warm white but you get what you pay for.

Totally agree on the headlights. I did the LED switch and the output is fantastic...unless you're in snow. Probably going to do an hid retrofit before winter.

I always run my Baja Designs led lights when snow wheeling. Key is to use the wide corning lens with amber color. Your welcome to check my lights out any time. ESP considering we are neighbors haha

AaronK

Explorer
I always run my Baja Designs led lights when snow wheeling. Key is to use the wide corning lens with amber color. Your welcome to check my lights out any time. ESP considering we are neighbors haha
Do they get hot enough to self-clear? That's the issue I ran intro. Snow buildup on the lens

lhanson

Adventurer
Do they get hot enough to self-clear? That's the issue I ran intro. Snow buildup on the lens

My onx6 hi power does. I also put de ice on outside of lens or maxima sc1 to help it slid off 😂

AaronK

Explorer
Part of my next project showed up today ?
Aux fan for my trans cooler. Doesn't get enough airflow on steep slow trails. Also will help while towing. Thermostat should be here next week. On at 180° off at 165
160fa9a18deefdd37d25f0ac281c4f46.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice I need to install my secondary trans cooler bypassing radiator. Also need to install my 170 t stat. I too have a fan I want to install because when it's 100 plus I can't run my AC in slow trails without it overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
I might have to look into this. My temps were getting a bit high as well while out on a trail last weekend with my trailer.

I have a 9" straight blade fan lying around. Might have to see if it'll fit.

Now I'm kind of considering one of these:
http://www.bmracing.com/products/70264-oil-cooler-large-supercooler-14400-btu-rating-black/

Part of my next project showed up today 
Aux fan for my trans cooler. Doesn't get enough airflow on steep slow trails. Also will help while towing. Thermostat should be here next week. On at 180° off at 165

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
Nice I need to install my secondary trans cooler bypassing radiator. Also need to install my 170 t stat. I too have a fan I want to install because when it's 100 plus I can't run my AC in slow trails without it overheating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've yet to be in the 100s (yay Washington!) but as warm as things have gotten in the 80s here wheeling, I wanted to get this installed before our Utah trip in Sept.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
One of these days, I need to replace my radiator and upper and lower rad hose. They are due for a preventative replacement.

While I am doing that, I might look into upgrading the OEM tranny cooler. Low speed on trails in 4 LO stuff is normally fine, but 4HI will get a bit hot if I can do a higher speed. Seeing 200+, sometimes 220 and thats when I'll back off. Above 230 is no bueno.

Probably look at a Derale electric unit with thermostat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94