****** GMC - Does a OEM Truck really need 3 fuse boxes?

sargeek

Adventurer
So my work truck is a 2015 GMC 1500 Double Cab. I can't believe the Truck has three fuse boxes? (1 under the hood, 1 left side dash board, 1 right side dash board. What really makes it interesting is they use two different types of fuses in the same fuse panel. The have the standard mini blade fuses, and they also have the new rectangular "ARF" fuses?? What a real pain in the but. The truck blue two simple accessory fuses, and it took me 45 min. to find the blown fuse. To make matters worse - the truck only comes with spare blade fuses and not the rectangular "ARF" fuses. What are they thinking other then they want to make changing fuses a issue that a mechanic needs to fix.

It really would have pissed me off if I was trying to fix a critical item in the dark. Seems like we are way over thinking things.

rayra

Expedition Leader
lol, look again, I think there's 4.

There's a LOT of electrified crapola in modern trucks, and a LOT of relays. They take a lot of room. Find something more egregious to complain about. Hell there's 4-5 computers in it. Another if you count the ABS.

I just wish they'd at least group the fuses and relays for the same system in the same location. I tried to excise my obsolete analog OnStar system in my '02 Sub and there's fuses in two boxes and 1 is shared with something else. So I did the only thing I could and culled the dashboard activation switch for the system. (the analog system once triggered will keep trying to 'phone home' until it's answered or your battery dies, fruitless as the early / analog system is no more)

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
One nice thing, the center on top of the battery can easily accept accessories, the downside is that battery is very specific to these trucks. But IMO, it beats trying to add accessories to the older trucks battery terminals.

rayra

Expedition Leader
and too, that 'tower of power' in the engine compartment gives you four large flat surfaces to which you can add even more power distribution related hardware if you start going crazy with mods.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Its a good thing potentially, It allows the replacement of smaller main harnesses when there is a issue vs. the entire loom.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Also, not that uncommon. My '99 Honda Accord has three as well. One under the hood and one on each side of the dash.

Jack

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 05 SLK 350 which is a tiny car has three and a two page spread sheet in 10pt font listing all the fuses. And some how the ignition can be killed by a inverter blowing a cig plug fuse? Dont ask.... Been there done that.

underdrive

jackwagon
Hey, at least your stuff is protected individually (for the most part). With older vehicles the fuse panel under the dash can only contain so many fuses, and as a result the way circuits share them can be quite interesting. And let's not forget fusible links, while those typically do not present issues the one time one of them does, good luck getting to it if it's buried in some 2" thick harness... One of our trucks currently has 3 additional fuse boxes (one on each side of the engine bay, and one under the dash), it's somewhat annoying but at least stuff can be disabled individually now and is no longer a complete fire hazard :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz