My new Fuso FGB71 All Terrain Warriors "UNIVERSAL WARRIOR" slide on mega camper

Karl of Oz

Observer
My new Fuso FGB71 All Terrain Warriors "UNIVERSAL WARRIOR" slide on mega camper

Hi all,

I'm new to all this forum stuff but thought I'd share my excitement! After lots of dreaming and months of planning I ended up buying a Fuso FGB71 4X4 Dual cab truck. I chose this as a replacement for my HJ-75 Active Camper as it provides a great platform for building a large slide on camper (ok its really a motorhome) and can legally carry weight above 4500 kg up to 6500 kg GVM. No more worries being overloaded!
I came up with a design based on my old camper and newer ones on the market. After looking at several suppliers, I was lucky enough to discover that All Terrain Warriors in Queensland (who build and modify large mining vehicles and produce the "Global Warrior") have started a project to build camper/motorhomes to order and could turn it into reality. They produced CAD drawings for me and over several versions came up with what I think is the ultimate!
So in I plunged and my brand new truck (bought from a very good dealer in Coffs Harbour) was delivered direct to them and they have modified it with their full off road kit such as locking front diff, 200 litre fuel tank, parabolic springs, shocks, big single wheel conversion, raised diff and gearbox breathers and a whole host of other refinements.
I visited my truck (and ATW) in February and went through all the plans. They are building a special sprung tray that will take care of chassis flex and protect the body of the motorhome, and very soon will be starting to build the camper come motor home body.
It will have an over the cabin King sized bed, a long "lounge" seat long enough to take a nap on, the opposing side is a bit shorter as we had to find a place to fit my National Luna freezer and also a new fridge. The door entrance will double as a shower recess and there will be an adjoining toilet that opens up to form a very big area. My "better half" insisted we fit a vanity unit here to house the 47 varieties of fruit flavoured shampoo and conditioners she uses (as well as my toothbrush). The area between the lounge and the entrance is an "L" shaped kitchen that is quite big housing a full gas oven, sink, cupboards and overhead cupboards. The living area roof will pop up driven by electric actuators. There will be two large under seat storage areas and several external lockers that are very large and 2 spare wheels.
The beauty of this design is that it can come off easily allowing you to drive around, put the boat in or whatever, and also still have the truck to drive around when at home with a tray and sides. The "body" will lift off the vehicle tray by means of electrical wind up legs each capable of lifting about a tonne. I wanted these as these days both of us have "dodgy shoulders" so don't want to be winding handles!
It will take a few months before it is ready, I can hardly wait. I'm already planning my first "expedition" in it (ok not too serious, just a spot of fishing in the Gulf of Carpentaria) for September.
I will try and add in a few of the drawings to give you all an idea of what it will look like if I can work out how to do it (the file is too big at present). I will also put in some pictures as it takes shape.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Karl

Welcome to the forum mate. Any chance you could re post all this in the Mitsubishi and Isuzu Heavy Truck section ..... Go down to the Expedition Camper section then it's about the third sub section down. It's sponsored by All Terrain Warriors anyway and that's where all the guys with your type of trucks talk. There are a lot of guys from all over the world on there with Canters and Isuzus.

Look forward to hearing more and some pics. Reply here if you can't find it and I'll help more.

There is also a link in my signature line to the ATW Camper thread if you're interested.

Regards
John

Last edited:

Maninga

Adventurer
Welcome to the forum. Project sounds interesting, interested in seeing photos and details. I like that you're doing a slide on, think it gives the greatest flexibility with the truck.
Most of us canter guys hang out in the Japanese trucks section, lot of experience and ideas in there. You'll probably get more people responding there too.

Joe

Cascadian

Observer
Sounds awesome! I'll follow wherever this post ends up to see some pictures.

Will the pop-up have soft sides in the "normal" ATW fashion or some sort of hard side pop up?

Karl of Oz

Observer
Ok thanks for this advice John, I'll try and navigate my way across to the Mitsubishi and heavy truck section etc and re-post my story. Anybody who may be interested as things go along should look there (if I'm successful!)
Karl

Karl of Oz

Observer
It will have soft sides similar to their Global Warrior, however only the bit from the lounge area onwards up to the end of the bed will pop up (about 1/2 metre or so). This is because the whole roof is pretty long and the back part where the kitchen/toilet/shower/entrance is already high enough to not need to be raised further and this also allows added strength to that section. You will see this in the drawings when I can work out how to reduce their file size to post. That will be over at the Mitsubishi light truck area of the forum as advised to me by John (I'm trying to do that now)
Karl

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Karl, are you still having trouble finding it? If your truck is the one I think it is, I saw some drawings of it about a month ago..... But maybe not the final version. Very cool and looking forward to seeing more. Regards John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier