Canter Regearing.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
The first case has had its mods done and will pick up new bearings tomorrow. Candy's Canter will be the first on the blocks and should be done this weekend. Can't wait should be good.

DSCF3334a.jpg DSCF3333a.jpg

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
First one is done. Finished just before dark but still had time to take it for a quick run and yes you do notice that it takes a little more to get rolling off at the start. May have to use 1st gear at times to take off. We have dropped 500 Rpms at 100 K's which is what I was chasing so I got the figures right. Will need to take a few more test runs before this weekend as Candy is coming to pick it up and take it home so she can get it ready for our trip to finish our Cape run.
Next transfer case goes in tomorrow to be modded and then time for mine.

Dan.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Must be satisfying after all the work to see it do what you hoped, well done to you:cool:

So is it sitting on about 3000prm at 100kph with the 35's on it? With the turbo on it, will be interesting to see how it behaves at 100kph and it's ability to roll on accelerate from there, keen to know how it copes with hills with this setup and overall driveability.
Dave

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Must be satisfying after all the work to see it do what you hoped, well done to you:cool:

So is it sitting on about 3000prm at 100kph with the 35's on it? With the turbo on it, will be interesting to see how it behaves at 100kph and it's ability to roll on accelerate from there, keen to know how it copes with hills with this setup and overall driveability.
Dave

It was on 3000rpm at 100kph now it is on 2500rpm. The rest at this stage we will have to wait and see, but here's hoping.

Dan.

Bris31

Adventurer
It was on 3000rpm at 100kph now it is on 2500rpm. The rest at this stage we will have to wait and see, but here's hoping.
Dan.

RPM calculations seems to be right on spot Dan. That should improve fuel economy.
Let's see how it performs in 4wd situations and uphill runs.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I took a run into town today to drop the next case off. It is a run of better than 100k's there and back, so a highway run and then around town.
On the highway it runs at 100Kph very easy now and not having to push the accelerator pedal to the floor, in fact I had to watch that I wasn't speeding as I am used to pushing it all the way down. Any of the slight hills didn't seem to make any difference to it.
In town driving all the times that I moved off from a stop I was more than able to get moving in 2nd gear as normal in fact very little difference even though you can just notice it.

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
What's the cost of the mod?

Let us run them for our up coming trip to at least prove them. After that I will put it all in a post.

For our trip we will have 2 FG637 Canters that have been regeared and at this stage I believe 1 FG649 Canter (standard gearing) which we will be a good comparison. And an older Nissan Patrol and a Triton for some variety .

Dan.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I've put another three hundred odd kilometers on Candy's Canter and still going well. This is all high range work as it is mostly highway and in town. Major low range try out will be on our trip and yes I have tried it but it will get a real workout then.

Driving now it has no problem with maintaining 100Kph. Big hills still make it look but that is to be accepted. I find it better when passing other vehicles as I can put a bit more speed on and not limited to our old top speed. It has no problem accelerating from following another vehicle (lets say 85/90Kph) without changing down.

I'll put it out there that if anyone wants to take one of these for a drive we will try to make it possible.

Dan.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
I think that you may have discovered what I have suspected...That 3000rpm is actually past peak torque for the 4.2. when i put bigger tires on mine it seemed to hold 100KPH better. Cant wait for the commercial release of this miracle cure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles