My New Fuso FGB71 All Terrain Warriors "Universal Warrior" Slide on Mega Camper

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I have just ordered a "Low Height Clearance Collision Avoidance System" from http://giraffeg4.com/ which I intend to fit to the new "Mega Camper" Fuso when it is completed. When I get it, I will try it out first on my old camper. Has anyone out there had experience with these units?

Karl

Now that's an interesting item. I'd also be curious to hear how well it works in the real world.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It's basically a gussied up ultrasonic tape measure, not that there's anything wrong with that, and I've certainly spent $199 far more frivolously. The concerns I would have are

1. Doesn't really work while moving (and it is measuring directly overhead anyway so you need to be able to stop in a few feet for it to be useful anyway)

2. It only measures one point (directly above where it is mounted). For a uniform surface (like under a bridge) that is fine, but for detecting branches / limbs / overhangs and the like that are non-uniform it is hit or miss (pun intended).

This it the patent (I think) - http://www.google.com/patents/US20120081218

I've wondered about whether putting parking sensors on each corner of my roof might be useful, when backing in to campsites, etc.

Last edited:

Karl of Oz

Observer
It's basically a gussied up ultrasonic tape measure, not that there's anything wrong with that, and I've certainly spent $199 far more frivolously. The concerns I would have are

1. Doesn't really work while moving (and it is measuring directly overhead anyway so you need to be able to stop in a few feet for it to be useful anyway)

2. It only measures one point (directly above where it is mounted). For a uniform surface (like under a bridge) that is fine, but for detecting branches / limbs / overhangs and the like that are non-uniform it is hit or miss (pun intended).

This it the patent (I think) - http://www.google.com/patents/US20120081218

I've wondered about whether putting parking sensors on each corner of my roof might be useful, when backing in to campsites, etc.

Thanks Pugs and others. Looks like that is the right patent. The supplier claims it will still work up to 30km/h. Only a real test will tell us how good it is. I like the idea of a couple of reversing sensors on the roof. Wish my fish finder could do this!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The supplier claims it will still work up to 30km/h.

Of course since it is measuring straight up and not looking ahead, if you get a warning you better have very good brakes at that speed :Wow1:
I like Pug's idea of backup sensors on all 4 corners of the cabin for backing into parking areas. Maybe he can add that feature to his cruise control for us

pugslyyy

Of course since it is measuring straight up and not looking ahead, if you get a warning you better have very good brakes at that speed :Wow1:
I like Pug's idea of backup sensors on all 4 corners of the cabin for backing into parking areas. Maybe he can add that feature to his cruise control for us

I actually did some debugging on the cruise yesterday. Czechsix has loaned me his MUT-III which makes monitoring what is going on a lot easier.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Czechsix has loaned me his MUT-III which makes monitoring what is going on a lot easier.

To that end... does his MUT-III read and erase the error codes on your truck?
To my knowledge, this has never been confirmed. These Chinese clones are still not cheap, but if they work that is at least an option.

pugslyyy

To that end... does his MUT-III read and erase the error codes on your truck?
To my knowledge, this has never been confirmed. These Chinese clones are still not cheap, but if they work that is at least an option.

It's been able to erase every error code I've been able to generate so far. But I've had pretty good luck with generic OBD2 readers as well.

Karl of Oz

Observer
Well hopefully I'll have a few photos soon of the tray mount system. ATW had to wait a bit to get the metal up from Melbourne for this. While I ponder the build of my new "Universal Warrior" (or whatever it will end up being called) I am thinking of getting an automatic satellite dish fitted during the build. I have been looking at the "Sphere" system (not only because it's cheap, it appears to have a good reputation) http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=13945
I know there are other forums around that go on about the various systems (Vansat have a good one too) does anyone here have any experience with the Sphere (or for that matter the Vansat)? They both have metal gears which is a must.

Karl of Oz

Observer
I think I have managed to attach another 6 photos of the build taken at ATW for me. These photos show the frame that will support the camper and the tray. Looking forward to adding some for the camper build soon.........

Attachments

• IMG_4265.jpg
    IMG_4265.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4270.jpg
    IMG_4270.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 148

Karl of Oz

Observer
The build has commenced!
All Terrain Warriors have now started to assemble the body. Starting to look like something now........
IMG_4500.JPGIMG_4509.JPGIMG_4511.JPGIMG_4518.JPGIMG_4526.JPGIMG_4527.JPG

Karl of Oz

Observer
Not sure of the actual process stages.....unfortunately (or probably fortunately for All Terrain!) I am about 1000km South, so don't get to see it all taking shape. But with more than 25 years in the game they know what they are doing, prototype or not. I'll add more photos as they come in. Should be ready in a few weeks or so..........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles