Dissent offroad 2016 Tacoma trd build.

Benc

Explorer
I vote for a cleaner bumper and put the 6" led bar in the above gap, it will help protect the lights better from dmg. the cleaner bumper will have less fab time, granted more weight...

I'm kinda surprised you didn't transition more into the factory skids... soon other skids could tie into it...

one last note, with the 9 inch round LED spots in the grill you eat up some space to tuck the winch up higher in the front... just an opinionated observation...

now granted, I'm not a welder and I really like the design you came up with, so keep it coming!

The lights came today so I will play around with different options.

I will be designing my own skids at some point and I really don't like how it looks when the bumper ties in at the same angle as the skids, that is why I do a smaller center with the dimple hole strip set back a bit, It breaks it up and gives a smaller cleaner look IMHO.

There is a ton of room behind the grill on these trucks! The winch needs to stay as low as possible and close as possible to the mounting points for strength.

The location I have the bumper at is were I felt looked the best with the style of the truck, I played around with higher locations but something about the look just didn't sit right with me,
It seamed to really take away from the bold lines of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benc

Explorer
Sorry for the night pics but got it all together tonight with the 6" lights.
Pretty happy with the end result and I kind of like the lights in the bumper with the 6" lights.
adc3545b9c7e8529a40ffdcebee18c26.jpg
6c0d7fc69383366dcd53387c4e524722.jpg
8295d55cc2a4e6ad7cd8e6d7f74cd743.jpg

Benc

Explorer
Thanks guys!
I'm really happy with how it turned out!
Here are some of my reasonings for this design.
First off this is based off my 100 series bumper so a lot of the parts are the same.
Second, the problem I see with full replacement bumpers on something with this many lines is it has to match the lines perfect or it looks goofy IMHO, the factory bumper cover is attached to the body, once you remove it and replace it all with steel to the frame you must have about a 1/2" gap to the body which doesn't work around the headlights!
3rd is weight, this bumper is 85 lbs and a full replacement bumper would almost double that.
4th is strength, with all that steel so high up off the frame mounts with no support I believe it would be a damage multiplier in a minor collision.
I really like the look of the font of these truck so I didn't want to change the lines to much, however the thing I didn't like is the fat lip look of the lower center on the factory bumper. This bumper gets rid of the low hanging fat lip but retains all the lines I like about the truck.
It is not the highest clearance out there but for me it's the best combination of clearance, weight, protection and looks.
I will get some better pics today.

tacollie

Glamper
I think it looks great. It's definitely helping the new front ends grow on me. Glad you didn't do the "smiley" thing everyone else seems so keen on doing.

thethePete

Explorer
Definitely one of the nicest current-gen Taco bumpers out there right now. And I agree with all your design parameters, they make a ton of sense and clearly work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online