Dissent offroad 2016 Tacoma trd build.

Benc

Explorer
Just picked up a 2016 trd Tacoma for r&d for bumpers among other things.
This build will prob not really start for a couple months as I am swamped with bumper orders but plan on developing front and rear bumpers, sliders, bed racks, aux battery trays ect.
Can't wait to start cutting into it!
86eb9861768eea3f02e967240ba71904.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benc

Explorer
Thanks! Can't wait to start the build!
So far I love the truck but there is a lot of plastic.
I think I may start with a rear bumper and hidden winch mount until I can take the time to design a full front bumper. There is a ton of room behind the factory bumper and think the hidden mount would be a good option for guys that are not ready for the full bumper.
5a86682fa208adfa948cfdf818c27a27.jpg
483435f116ce3ee1a974d1b98999f9e3.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Sub'd. Looking forward to your creations for the 3rd Gen platform. If it's anything like the 100 series products you have built it will be top notch.

Personally I think a hidden winch mount for the front would be a big seller. Like you stated there's a ton of room behind the lower front bumper. Something similar to this would be a nice complement to the 3rd Gen front end.

winch mount.jpg

Benc

Explorer
Sub'd. Looking forward to your creations for the 3rd Gen platform. If it's anything like the 100 series products you have built it will be top notch.

Personally I think a hidden winch mount for the front would be a big seller. Like you stated there's a ton of room behind the lower front bumper. Something similar to this would be a nice complement to the 3rd Gen front end.

View attachment 341698

Thanks!
I'm not sure if it will be possible or not but what I'd love to do is build the winch mount like that but make it where the off road high clearance wings could be bolted on the hidden winch mount in the future.

dman93

Adventurer
Given the amount of space behind the stock front plastic(aka "underbite") is it possible to make a tucked-in steel or aluminum bumper replacement, for those who don't want a winch, and pick up a better approach angle and just less front overhang? I don't really feel the need for a winch, but I'd love to shed a few inches off the nose, as well as get rid of some plastic.

Benc

Explorer
Given the amount of space behind the stock front plastic(aka "underbite") is it possible to make a tucked-in steel or aluminum bumper replacement, for those who don't want a winch, and pick up a better approach angle and just less front overhang? I don't really feel the need for a winch, but I'd love to shed a few inches off the nose, as well as get rid of some plastic.

It would be possible but likely not worth it for me to produce but one could run the center section hidden winch mount with out the winch.

Benc

Explorer
Ordered tires and wheels today, ended up getting the 34x10.5r17 ko2s.
Now I have to decide on lift,
I'm not sure if I want to go icon or just a leveling kit and wait for arb to come out with the bp-51 kit for the Tacoma.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Ordered tires and wheels today, ended up getting the 34x10.5r17 ko2s.
Now I have to decide on lift,
I'm not sure if I want to go icon or just a leveling kit and wait for arb to come out with the bp-51 kit for the Tacoma.

Interested to see if you can get by just a leveling kit and the 34s. I have just the 5100s on my truck set to .85 in the front and no additional lift in the rear with 275/70s on the TRD Pro wheels and I think the fit is about perfect. That being said I do think a 285/70 is doable with the just the leveling kit and a little trimming up front. Keep us posted :smiley_drive:

Benc

Explorer
Interested to see if you can get by just a leveling kit and the 34s. I have just the 5100s on my truck set to .85 in the front and no additional lift in the rear with 275/70s on the TRD Pro wheels and I think the fit is about perfect. That being said I do think a 285/70 is doable with the just the leveling kit and a little trimming up front. Keep us posted :smiley_drive:

I'm hoping I can make them fit without to much trimming, I think the narrow tire will help, I know I will have to trim the inner fender and lower pinch weld and may have to chop the body mount but well will see. The tires won't be here till mid next week.
I decided to go cheap on the lift in hopes that arb will offer a kit soon so I just ordered the 2" leveling kit last night. Also ordered a bestop soft camper.

Benc

Explorer
I am looking forward to seeing what you get for the sliders. I picked my Access cab last Monday in the Inferno. I am excited to see what sliders you come up with for the truck.

Sliders will be one of the first things I get on the truck!
I'm going to play around with plate style slider/side steps rather than the traditional tube sliders. I think the plate will complement the lines and shape edges of the truck.

Benc

Explorer
Mounted some 9" led lights behind the grill. I'm not sure how much light the grill will block but I will find out tonight.
6b248986ee005c660cc1a2b532c251cb.jpg
16576ee5050c224f66b45dd322ac3150.jpg

Benc

Explorer
Got the bestop soft top on today, not to happy with the fit or quality of the frame but it will get me by until I can get a hard camper.
9dccb53c464ce71176f9019aa0363c78.jpg
c6a2460ca3d1096c37a84126f383109a.jpg

Benc

Explorer
For the lift on today and tires and wheels should go on tomorrow.
a3a22fe29869e3ace18c52433529450d.jpg
015cdf97f328db8c7ee97c77a365b8f3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier