Looking for opinions - Ford f250/350 v10 gasser vs chevy 1500 v8 gasser

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As a new dad I will agree with getting a crew cab/4-door, while we can "get by" with the extended cab of our Chevy diesel, you will be much happier with an extra set of doors. And the Chevy v8's are very reliable, more often it will be the transmission you read about having issues than the engine.

p nut

butter
I already bought the Chevy. But after driving it for 3 months I miss my old truck. I have used it with the camper a couple times and it drives great. I am getting 15 with my camper in it. I am just concerned if we go on a Mexico trip, it might not hold up? Before I bought it, I put my friends 5 and 3 year olds in the back seat and it worked out fine. Pretty easy actually. I do hear what everyone is saying about the CC though, they have a lot more room. Is there any 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC guys out here who have beefed up the suspension/truck to do some rougher trips like Mexico/Baja?

15mpg is 25-50% better that the Ford V10. Just baseline everything and you're good to go. People have taken those roads with lesser vehicles. Just plan it out, be smart and have fun.

adam88

Explorer
Thanks everybody for all the info. I am going to do a little work to my Chevy and over time I will see how I like it. I really like that I bought a truck with under 100k miles for around $11k. If I want to go back to the V10 (esp 3v), in my price point I will be getting a lot more miles. For the Chevy, I will add a leveling kit, new tires, overload springs for the camper, that tie rod thingy, and some of the other mods and see how it does. It is good to get some GM peoples opinions and also some Ford guys opinions. I really don't care about brand of truck, I just want it paid off and to work. So I guess I got both for now and will rock what I got and see what breaks. Once I start my build, probably post it up here. The camper rebuild has already started, need to document that also! Thanks everybody and if anyone has anything more to add, would be glad to hear it!

I look forward to hearing how it works out for you. Based on what you've said, I think you'll be really disappointed, especially if you are going to add overload spinrgs, a lift, bigger tires, etc. The old chevy's, especially a 2005, were totally not built for that (and especially the 1500). The payload is so low on them, and the IFS is garbage. Today chevy's trucks are much better and the IFS is improved, but yeah, I think once you get into it you'll get frustrated and curse it out to the point where you sell it off and go back to a Ford :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior