Thread: I think I just bought a motorcycle

Default I think I just bought a motorcycle

A few weeks ago, I had the brainwave to buy an old clunker bike and fix it up as a winter project (I'm a small engine mechanic). My plan was to keep my eyes open for the next 6 months and find something.

Fast forward to a few days ago, my friend is complaining about how he has no money, and will have to sell his bike. So $750 CAD (About $600 US) later I have a 1982 Yamaha XJ 750 Maxim. Apparently it works great, but I'm planning on getting new shocks on it, rebuilding the forks, tires, and basically all the other maintenance things that I am sure have not been done in years.

Now I have to learn to ride it.

VE6FTR
    2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4

Take a safety class, get some decent gear, and ride, ride, ride. Congrats - try not to smile too much while you're riding.
    Marc

I had a Maxim 750 from 1998 - 2001. It was a great bike. I love those old UJMs, they need almost no maintenance and they have features that most modern bikes lack (center stands, full instrumentation, self-cancelling turn signals, etc.)
    The 82's were a little wonky with the adjustable square handlebars and the rectangular headlight - a very "80's" look. My '83 was more conventional with a round headlight and round handlebars. Same engine, though. Great starter bike IMO. Shaft drive means no chain to oil or adjust. Can't remember if the Maxim's had self-adjusting valves or not.
    Take a course and learn to ride, you'll be glad you did.
    Martin
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT in "Expedition White"
    2002 Nissan R50 Pathfinder, 3.5l, 5 speed (DD)
    "I am the Man with No Name: Zapp Branigan!"

Just for fun, here are some pics:
    1999 Colorado_0028.jpg
    1999 Colorado_0029.jpg
    I had the sissy bar built for me by a guy who had a business card at a local motorcycle shop. Photos were taken in September 1999 somewhere along Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park.
    Martin
    2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT in "Expedition White"
    2002 Nissan R50 Pathfinder, 3.5l, 5 speed (DD)
    "I am the Man with No Name: Zapp Branigan!"

Thanks for the kind words, I'm signed up for a safety course (that was actually a condition of the sale) and I am in the process of picking up gear. Negative on the self adjusting valves.
    VE6FTR
    2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4

Congrats! Yeah, it's better to sign up for a safety course. I've bought a bike but have never driven it. I'll go out for my first ride ever in few days.