1974 crew cab

kraven

Hegelian Scum
Wow. That thing is the bee's knees.

If it were mine, I'd be looking at a Sniper injection system and some internals to bump the displacement, headers (maybe the easiest and best $:hp mod on an FE mill). Keep it relatively simple. Don't even paint it. :)

That's super cool.

hayduke357

Looked at the efi, bumping it out to 390. It already has headers. Have to see. Going to go look a a beat up regular bed today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korben

Adventurer
We had a 74 2WD crew, 390 4bbl, 4 speed when I was in my late teens, it was a blast to toss 5 buddies and some coolers in it and go get in trouble.
Oddly enough on the short bed crew thing, ford didn't make crew long boxes of this generation or earlier, but later only made crew long boxes, no short box crews again until 96.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the FE at all, they are cool engines and all, and if that's what you're going for then so be it. But they are hugely impractical simply because they are odd, very little swaps, the aftermarket is thin, and everything FE is expensive. Just about any other Ford engine is more practical even a 400/351M.

hayduke357

Yea kind of wish the 360 did not run so well. But still purrs along.. But it is such a dog. I will build it up a little while working to find a good swap for later it looks like

bugeyetex

Observer
I used to have a 77 f250 highboy with a built 460. It was a blast to drive and would pass just about anything but a gas station. It was a beast though.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

hayduke357

2ba98fa1c05876365063d9d26b6caeb2.jpg

eggman918

Adventurer
The 4BT/ZF-5 is ideal in my '68 replaced a 390 4v in GT trim 325hp/435ft# with 4BT big IC and a HE221 it's ~200hp/400ft# and it has out performed the 390 in every way and on half the fuel,the 4BT/ZF was stock drive train in Brazilian F series in the '90's and other than the 4 cyl vibrations it's a great fit. Truck is 8K# and trailer is 4K# as pictured and gets 20mpg highway unloaded and 18 with trailer and i have towed as much as 8K cross country and it will still pull the grades on the interstate at flow of traffic in the right lane.
100_1379.jpg

100_1156.jpg

eggman918

Adventurer
In a heavier vehicle the vibes are livable and the first gen noise can be dealt with to a reasonable level...........but if I were you and were seriously thinking about the 4BT find someone with one and drive it a bit before you drop a bunch of coin.
I'm real happy with mine but my truck does not have a lot of creature comforts and it gets worked hard and that is where the Cummins really shines it makes north of 200ft/lbs at idle and over 400 by 1,700rpm that makes trails with the trailer effortless real nice manners it will crawl allong a rough section without making a fuss.

hayduke357

ffcbae89b020656766a8f67074a1bee0.jpg

Can someone measure their truck and get me the distance from bed to cab. I have a regular short bed on a high boy and my frame is little more narrow than regular ford. 1973-1979 should work

justcuz

Explorer
I thought those beds were set up with the dimples stamped in the bed floor for the narrow and wide frames?

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Maybe a newer Cummins ISF 2.8. A 540 pound diesel mill rated to 160 horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque.
300 lbs lighter that 4bt and less vibrations. Pump out decent HP with appropriate mods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles