A slightly silly exercise on a GMT800 Suburban, in the name of 'departure angle'

rayra

Expedition Leader
Anyone familiar with Suburbans knows it's kind of laughable to even apply 'departure angle' to them, without a lot of mods and height increase.

Just a 'simple' deletion / relocation of the trailer electrical connector, from the hitch-mounted plate that hangs way down, up into the bumper proper.

Got the trailer connector plate cut off, ground off the remainder, primed sanded primed and repainted the hitch bar satin black. I also rounded off the bottom edges and corners of the receiver tube and the safety chain plate, in the hopes that when they make contact they'll drag a bit easier.

But I am thinking that on deliberate trips into the desert where I'm not hauling a trailer, I may just drop the whole hitch bar, it's eight large bolts, wouldn't take ~15mins to pull it. Even without the shackle insert, the whole receiver really just destroys what little rear clearance the Sub has in the first place.

hitchwork14.jpg
hitchwork02.jpg

---
rest is just details

Here's the layout, the rectangle to the right of the plate is a small cover for access to the spare tire winch. The bottom left is the trailer electrical connection. There's a nice blank space left of the plate, my thought was to set the new location to balance out the spare tire port cover.

hitchwork02.jpg

Here's a closeup of the connector and mount, the yellow lines are along the welds which hold it to the main hitch tube.

hitchwork03.jpg

Underneath, looking at the inner face of the rear bumper. Yellow circle is the new mounting location, nothing but empty space all around it and no interference with the spare.

hitchwork04.jpg

Here's the stock mounting plate keyhole for the connector, this is the template for the hole I'm cutting in my bumper (and a little 'art' with the angle on the oil stains)

hitchwork05.jpg

I measured the offset on the spare tire winch port cover and marked that centerline on the new location and covered the factory plate with tape and traced a pattern on it, and marked it's centerline (sorta).

hitchwork06.jpg

I reinforced that template with a bit more tape, cut out its center with an X-Acto blade, then transferred the template to the new location. The trailer coupling rotates in that opening to lock / unlock, made sure to leave some vertical room at the top for that rotation.

hitchwork07.jpg

Used a spring-punch to mark multiple drilling locations. My plan was to use a combo of drills, step-drill bit and dremel (various cutting and grinding bits) to open up the hole. Key idea being to do it in place and do it without destroying the paint.

hitchwork08.jpg

Then I started making a mess, left out a bit of the intermediate horrors

hitchwork09.jpg
hitchwork10.jpg

After most of the cleanup, including deburring the inner and outer faces of the cut edges.

hitchwork11.jpg

It took a bit of fine fitting, some repeated fine grindings, to get to where the coupler would fit and turn freely enough. The bumper is a small bit thicker than the mounting plate, so I also beveled the edges of the plastic tabs on the coupler, where they would meet and engage the bumper.
Here's the backside view, with the coupler mounted in its new home. Plenty of slack in the wiring to route that high and safe. Safer than it was.

hitchwork12.jpg

And here's the outside view, in its new location, counterbalancing the spare tire winch port

hitchwork13.jpg

Last edited:

Boost Creep

Adventurer
nice work. i've thought about doing the same thing myself. i'd do it more to keep it up out of the dirt flung off the tires than for ground clearance. always seems to be really dirty on the backside of the plug

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's clever - not sure it will improve departure angle a lot, but looks good.
I was thinking the same thing, seeing as how the receiver hangs lower than that. It does relocate a vulnerable item (assuming you tow a trailer otherwise you wouldn't bother) to a less vulnerable spot and that's always good.
As far as the 'burb having a poor departure angle, look at almost any pickup, especially anything with a long bed. They have much worse departure angles than the 'burb.

rayra

Expedition Leader
oh I know it, the '85 C-10 in my sig is a standard cab longbed. It's almost the same overall length and wheelbase as the Subs. Done an awful lot of desert exploring and toy hauling with that pickup, so I had little concern adding a Suburban in my region. The Sub will go anywhere the pickup did. Even better, as the Sub is 4wd and the pickup was not.

85chevyc10-2.jpg

Last edited:

colorado matt

Adventurer
well it was not a suburban ... but on a trail ride sunday someone took a rock in just the right spot and guess what got wiped out ... 7 pin trailer plug ... caused all kinds of problems with brake light and turn signals as it was smashed and cause some shorts .... not a silly mod at all ... Matt

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nice mod! I did the same relocation to my Sonoma years ago. And that's where the connector is on the GMT900 trucks.

I do wish GM hadn't dropped the hitch so low. Raising the hitch was one of my reasons for making a new rear bumper for my truck. Not for clearance, but because most of the trailers I tow needed it raised, not dropped!

I doubt you'll have much issue with trips to the desert. Even if you do drag the hitch, it's likely to be sand, and just plow a furrow. :)

Burb One

Adventurer
well it was not a suburban ... but on a trail ride sunday someone took a rock in just the right spot and guess what got wiped out ... 7 pin trailer plug ... caused all kinds of problems with brake light and turn signals as it was smashed and cause some shorts .... not a silly mod at all ... Matt

This happened to me. I bent the stock plug up and a few wires shorted turning on all my brake lights. I went the cheaper route of just ziptying a replacement plug up under the bumper, out of harms way, but easily accessible.

For a stock receiver this is awesome, and I like the attention to detail. Definitely a necessary off road mod, now if you hit, it will just be the nice strong hitch:)

After a few years, I ended up replacing the stock hitch with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/CURT-15324-Cl...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It sits about an inch and a half higher than the stock one, and doesn't have anything hanging. Acts as a nice skid plate. Also, it is crazy stout, much over the towing limitations of these trucks. I believe the stock hitch is rated to 5,000 without WD, but the truck itself is rated to 7,200-8,200 for the 1500's depending on the model without WD (dependent on tongue weight) (Z71 is lower rating etc.)

rayra

Expedition Leader
well I went ahead and pulled the whole hitch off this afternoon. All of 5mins work with air tools. I forgot to (re-)check the angle before I did, but I did so a few months ago and IIRC it was either 17 or 19 deg at the bottom of the receiver hitch. It's 26deg now. And I was surprised to find my stock size (256/70-17) spare fit within that angle. I'd thought the rearmost edge of the spare hung down far enough to make the departure angle even worse. But it doesn't.

hitchwork15.jpg
hitchwork16.jpg

There's three bolt locations in the ends of the frame rails. The rearmost pair of holes are about 2.46" apart. The forward-most hole is 4.24" forward of the middle bolt hole. I don't think either of those dimensions matches the typical spacing of the bolt holes on a generic tow hook. I think those are typically as close together as ~1-3/4". So I'll probably just drill another hole in the frame rail. Or maybe add a backing plate that ties the new hole to the forwardmost stock hole, for some added strength / support. I've bent C-channel frame rails before, doing silly **** with tow hooks.

There's two under-bumper bolt locations near the hitch location and the flat bottom of the bumper there is about 8-1/2" wide and 3" deep with the bolt centers about 1-1/4" in from the lip of the bumper. I'd like to fabricate a sort of grinder or roller in that spot for when I do drag my ***. Something like a paint roller in shape, not much more than 1" tall. The bumper plastic dress trim overlaps the bottom edge, it would get torn right off if the bumper drags. Something like a 8" wide U-/ saddle- bracket with a hardened bolt thru it as an axle, with a delrin or nylon roller.

hitchwork18.jpg

Took a few other pics and measurements while I was under there. Overall I have to say the Suburban's undercarriage is remarkably flat. The only thing that hangs down lower than the frame rails (12" clearance) in the middle is the transfer case skidplate (10-3/4" clearnace), the nerf-LOOKING side bars are 12-1/4", the fuel tank is 12-1/2". Thr front skid plate covering the ending and front axle is 10", the rear pumpkin and lower shock mounts are both 8-7/8" and the rear sway bar is 11", lower than the axle tubes it trails.
The 1-2" from a basic torsion key / spacer lift would help a lot. Going to 285 tires would (only) net a 1/2" increase in ground and suspension clearance. That hardly seems worth the $1000 premium for a sete of new tires, at this point.

hitchwork17.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Decided to recycle the crustly old hooks off my C-10. It's been parked in my driveway the past year+ since I got the Sub, anyway. Their bolts came loose fairly readily, despite my bolting them on in 1987. A little anti-seize goes a long way.

oldhooks.jpg

I degreased, applied naval jelly, scrubbed them clean, roughed them up with a sanding sponge and painted them up in satin black. Their bolt holes / centers were indeed too small for the hitch locations, so I went ahead and drilled a new hole in the Sub's frame, between the wider-spaced pair of hitch mounts.

hitchwork19.jpg

The hooks tuck up in there nicely. They are just barely visible below the bumper, easy enough to see and reach, and still tucked up out of the 'departure' zone.

hookinstalled.jpg
hookreveal.jpg

/all in keeping with my intent to add capabilities without making them obvious

Last edited:

boll_rig

Adventurer
Love the idea of the roller. Cant tell you how often I've scrapped my receiver off the pavement/rocks. Keep us updated.

And great mod for the electrical connector. Mine has been zip tied somewhere up under there for a while as I ripped it clean off about a year after getting the vehicle. Dont use it much anymore anyway.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Those hooks are going to get you snagged up on something in the middle of nowhere.

Heh, Really? In a long wheel base SUV weighing well in excess of 6000# when loaded, in the barren rocky deserts of SoCal which are my usual haunts, in basically the identical mounting location on the longbed C-10 pickup (same wheelbase, same overall length, about 1500# lighter and 2WD) that I've driven in those deserts for nearly 30yrs, without such a snag? If it does, it's because I've made several bad judgements about where I've placed the vehicle, and I'd deserve it.

I'm not going rock crawling on highly technical trails with this thing.

Out of curiosity, what sort of terrain do you wheel in? There's no general location shown. Hard to gauge your frame of reference / why you would say such a thing. Since you picked the nic 4BT, I presume you do some rock crawling in a modified Jeep or something similar? If so, it's no wonder you'd think the hook there is a bad idea.
If I on the other hand slam the *** of this Suburban down on some boulders, I've made some very poor route choices.

hookinstalled.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
In those nearly 30yrs of mucking about in the CA deserts and mountains with hooks in that location, the only time I ever snagged a boulder was on purpose. It was in the way of my spa install, at our kern river house.

spabouldertow04-060628alt.jpg
spabouldertow01-060628.jpg
spabouldertow06-060628.jpg
spa%20me%20in%20water%20070902.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just a very late update / follow-thru. I've finished mucking about with lift spacers and torsion keys for the foreseeable future, for a total suspension lift of 2". Still have 265/70-17 tires. Now have 14-1/2" clearance at the frame rails. 78-1/2" max height on the Z-71 roof rack. And now have a departure angle of 25deg on the bumper and a measly 13deg at the bottom of the receiver hitch. Which I've put back on for now. Been farting around with a couple trailers and near-accidents lately, so I'm leaving it on. And the revised 7-pin location is working fine. Haven't run into any trailer hook ups that were too short, yet.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I like your thinking.

If it was my 'Burb I'd consider...

* Suspension lift with 35's
* Mounting the trailer plug/connector elsewhere. On a custom steel bracket tucked up behind/alongside a frame member?
* Removing the spare tire and carrying it on a roof rack or on a swing-away arm on the back bumper (custom mount?)
* Putting a steel plate (a "ski") under the back cross member (might be as good as a roller?)

if you're feeling really aggressive you could always consider dovetailing the 'Burb :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan