Long term LR3/Discovery 3 build for everyday life

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I may go back and edit this thread because I may have just overracted due to being irritated at it for a week straight. I will also say that I did the water pump without removing the fan(stupid should have bought a tool) adding to my frustration/cut up hands.

The fan alone is enough to make you question ownership sometimes... so I feel you there. With the right tools its pretty pleasant work.

See this post (disclaimer it's my post):
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/154622-The-DiscoDavis-Discovery-3-Build-Thread?p=2031530#post2031530

much better than the autozone rental crapola

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
North florida isn't exactly the rust belt but this truck did have some.

To those of us in the west, anything east of the Mississippi is the rust belt. Maybe anything east of the continental divide!

FWIW, I'm in the boating world and I'm SHOCKED at how much more corrosion and other related problems boats from FL have compared to west coast boats. I have always chaulked it up to the super high humidity since we're both in saltwater.

cosmiccharlie

Explorer
First off the seats. I restored them using Furniture Clinic repair kit. $75 is everything you need to do the front 2 seats. I'll skip the long/short of it and say its world class stuff used on many forums on much more expensive cars than the LR3.

Before
9bg84GWl.jpg

uMEcaZYl.jpg

After
HpvN5N7l.jpg

eKwBbtcl.jpg
These turned out great! I recently bought an LR3 and need to do this to mine also. What color did you order?

MrWesson

Adventurer
Its been awhile since my last update. I'll be honest i've had some issues and most of my issues are from simple neglect from previous owners and RUST lots of it that I thought I could keep under control.

Let this be a warning to potential buyers. The cheap deal isn't the deal. I paid $7,000 for this truck 3 years ago which at the time was very cheap(others ran about 9-11,000) and I can tell you if you didn't do all the work yourself you would have easily ended up closing that gap in repairs and still not be caught up. I'm pushing half that in parts alone.

For example I am currently working on my rear brakes/rotors for the 2nd time but this time it appears the caliper has seized in a way(both rear inner rotors/pad wore away and outers are fine). It's very very rusty and not doubt the cause. So do I replace 4 rusty calipers, 4 rusty control arms, 4 rusty shocks/airbags etc or just decide it's not worth it? compounding the fact that lately i'm towing and spending a little bit of time off road for fun(not in CO like I planned/was going to move). I'm still not sure.

I didn't mention rusty stuck bolts, rusty brake pipes that snake under the frame(replaced some sections the old school way), some other stuff related I cant think of and rust flakes in my eyes. When I first bought it I got all the frame rust under control with ospho and rustoleum(it actually stopped it cold) but you can't just use that stuff around moving parts/electrics so the arms/bushings.. As i'm typing this I remembered that my front left sway bar simply isn't there. It rusted at the mount and who knows where it is(been running like this for awhile)

That being said i'm one toe in one toe out on this particular truck. It's not a basket case but i'm simply keeping it going with acceptable reliability for now. To be clear the mechanical's have been great and other than broken pulleys/belts(from rust particles/happened twice) she's never let me down. The rust just creates drag/the flakes end up inside bearings and moving parts.

I'll skip the most of the repairs because they are irrelevant to other LR3 owners but some might be.

Crappy clips on the fenders have caused me to lose 2 of them and resort to drilling zip ties(after replacing the clips multiple times). I haven't found much info on this and the fact that I abuse mine off road and have 150k might indicate the future for some people. If I could fill the holes/grind away the edges and repaint the sheet metal behind I would. I loathe the fenders.

The air compressor discharge/vent tube broke off at the compressor and embarrassingly hisses at me at the grocery store parking lot and everywhere. I fixed it for awhile with JB weld(the threads are missing too) but a shrub or stick must have grabbed it recently and ripped it out. I don't want to buy a new compressor because it works fine otherwise. My guess is that the discharge line got clogged and when it attempted to vent pressure blew it out. Maybe check the end of yours if you can.

Some interior pieces have broken including the Glove box handle, cup holder by the door, and the dash is starting to crack in other places besides around the airbag. Shrug but I currently am not using my glove box.

All that being said I love the LR3 it has great road manners for a 4x4, tows like a dream(I tow alot), is aging well(take a look at a 05 Grand Cherokee), insane value(they are approaching $5,000 used in my area), tons of "features"(love that fridge) but I don't love MY LR3.

Would I buy another one to replace it with or a LR4? I'm simply not sure but leaning towards no. The #1 reason is that I live in Florida. Yes I live in North FL and there's plenty of hilly open space to explore the LR3 is simply overkill for most everything around here.

When I go to the mountains i'm tempted to hit the trails which when you're 400 miles away from home is a bad idea any way you shake it. I had a mishap that cost me and while it was an adventure I don't care to relive it. I broke a passenger side front axle which if you research it leaves you stuck unless you want to dangerously drive in rock crawl mode/4lo(what I had to do/sunday no tow trucks/spending the night wasn't an option). http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/163810-LR3-video-in-N-GA

Hopefully you've stuck with me through this long winded post. Basically I have it now, plan on having it tomorrow, and am not actively looking to replace it but my mind wanders to a diesel truck time to time.

Here's some pictures of places she's taken me recently.

Typical road trip with the pets but with my wife driving for a change.
iCktmeYl.jpg

Improptu trip to N.GA to see the snow. People staying at our hotel were stranded due to the airport being closed. The look on their faces when they found out we were just up for the snow.. priceless. Truck was amazing in the snow(found 10" of it in the mountains) and initially why I bought it. Took me 3 years to find some.
KTWXRlQl.jpg

Just a local trail but not the FL you'd expect.
2E9sLY9l.jpg

Few days ago collecting/splitting firewood in the woods. Great workout and once again the truck saved my *** with this heavy trailer and the sandy/muddy forest roads.
apKxP80l.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles