Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "One Piece At A Time" Build

Default "One Piece At A Time" Build

This build thread will document the changes to my 1998 E150. "You might say I went down to the factory and picked it up myself"

First a little backstory, for the last 10 years I've been building/4wheeling/camping out of my 1991 Nissan Hardbody. It started as a $500 2wd truck and is currently SAS'd on 285/75/16s

I used slider boxes instead of shackles up front to keep it low, stable AND flexy. It worked great to haul the boats bikes and all my gear around for the last 4 years in its current configuration.

However I am now married and have 2 dogs and even more gear so I bought this:

I knew from Van experience that I wanted a 5.4, a high top, and a body that was in good shape. A conversion van was the easiest place to start so I grabbed this one off craigslist. Its just a 150, but I've got one of these, and lots of cool ideas.

Last edited by Corneilius; 04-28-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Love this idea......

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    F150 Overland Build Thread
    2012 F150 CC 4wd 5.0L
    Rough County leveling kit, Custom Rear bumper with Dual swing outs, Leiterner Design Active Cargo System, Decked drawer system, Mob Armor tablet mount with accessories, 35" Falken MT's, Volant Intake, AFE exhaust, Edge Evo CTS, Mercenary Offroad Bumnper w/ winch, CVT Mt Rainer tent, CVT Awning

I bought this van in Feb of '16, wanting to use the van for a bit of everything. Not just a dedicated camper but be able to haul plywood, tow a trailer, haul the boats and seat several comfortably. I also wanted it to be ready to camp at a moments notice for impromtu weekends or staying at friends.
    First off was to gut the interior. Tear out the rear seats and carpet and put down insulation and a sub floor.

There was an existing 1/2" layer of foam insulation under the carpet, so I left that. Covered it with 1/2" plywood subloor through bolted with existing holes to the van body.

I covered that with foam tiles from Harbor Freight. This was a quick solution to make a trip but its turned out surprisingly durable.

I had a layout in mind that drew from dozens of camper vans i'd seen, limitations of my truck, and what I wanted to use the van for. Next up were the bed and sink.

Good luck with this. Looking forward to see what you are going to do with it.

I knew I wanted a bed that ran front to back (6'2") and that I wanted it to store away when not in use. I came across slat style expanding beds and was sold. Out came the .090 wall square tube and bender.

I used some UHMW pucks punched out of a cutting board to separate the two halves and prevent vibration. They should also slide really smoothly.

Scored some Black Walnut 1.5"x 6" and chopped, ripped and routed them down to fit.

Rubbed it down with a little boiled linseed oil rather than paint. Turned out great.

Yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really like what you're doing with this build. Keep up the strong work.

Nice work! I'll enjoy watching this build come together!

That bed looks awesome! Look forward to seeing where this goes!

I recognize that forklift and the logo on the door in the background...
    Looks like you're off to a good start, keep us posted.
    Name: Rob.
    Current:
    2001 E350 EB HT PSD w/ a bunch of stuff.
    Had three other E350s...

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast