"One Piece At A Time" Build

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
2 years now Ive been running around with 4.10s, 215k miles on the motor. Im happy with them.

My axles were 4.10 already, and looking at the $$$ to go 4.56 vs Gas/Travel money, I'm not changing. I daily drive it at 7500ish pounds, loaded for bear is probably closer to 8500.

4.30 will be great, don't hyper focus on your gearing.

Awesome, thank you. Going to look at the van today.

Corneilius

Adventurer
EDIT, sideways pictures. I tried rotating and saving in my phone/computer. Any pro Tips?

We've got 2 trips planned in the near future so I added a few tweaks to the van. Spring Van Camp in early March, and headed out west in early April.

I mounted an MV-50 compressor under the van. Filling trailer/motorcycle/car tires will be its main gig. I rewired it with heavier gauge cable and wired it to a switch inside. Happy with it so far.
IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

I also build Version 2.0 of my ladder. Replaced the 3/4" holes with 1.5" dimpled holes. Sold version 1.0 to a friend.

IMG_3920.jpg

I also ordered an awning (eBay knockoff) its 8'x8' totally love the extra space. Made 3 mounts that span from the gutter to the roof rack to mount it on.

IMG_3948.jpg

And since we finished our Sawmill build (did I post sawmill pictures in here?) I milled a new deck for my old trailer.

IMG_3935-1.jpg
IMG_3946.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3946.jpg
    IMG_3946.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Corneilius

Adventurer
Going to dump some photos from my trip out west. My wife and I (and 2 dogs) went to the Grand Canyon-Death Valley-Alabama Hills-Lake Tahoe-Great Basin-Denver-Home. Took us 2 weeks, spending 2-3 days most places. Had an amazing time, van did great. Only issues were the starting battery died in Texas, then our alternator died 150 miles from home. We were able to limp home on battery power alone, but barely.

I changed all the fluids before we left, and made a jug holder for my front hitch. This held 2 of the same jugs I use inside, so when we ran low on water id just swap them out. Worked out well.
IMG_4281-1.JPGIMG_4337.JPGIMG_4312-1.JPGIMG_4305.JPGIMG_4324.JPGIMG_4272.JPGIMG_4236.JPGIMG_4231-1.JPGIMG_4247.JPGIMG_4207.JPG

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Awesome photos!

BTW, you should sell this door insert:
img_4203-jpg.445154

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow great photos! And agreed, I see a lot of value in the things you have built and I'm sure others would purchase if you did end up building them.

mothgils

Looks like an awesome trip Neil! Glad to hear the van did well (minus a few hiccups).

What awning is that? I know you mentioned an eBay special...any links?

Corneilius

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words guys. In regards to selling my designs; Spoiler Alert: I build vans for a living.

Stuff that goes on my van is usually too labor intensive/oddly specific design to make it to production. But I work for an amazing company that encourages me to experiment with design and fab (hint he's got a stickied build thread)

The awning I bought is out of stock now, looks like prices went up on the ones that are available. Same design as the ARB/Smittybuilt. The fabric is thinner and the bag isn't as nice. But overall I've been impressed. It even took flight in Death Valley and didn't fail.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-2x8-2ft-...Travel-Grey-/192325007806?hash=item2cc776b9be

JSwanson

Observer
Great pics! I to really like that door storage. I believe I saw you heading home last Saturday. Heading east on 70 through Missouri. I said to my girlfriend " look at that BA van, I know that van from Expo" thanks for the link to the awning.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Thanks, yeah that was us. We got "spotted" a few times across the country which is fun to hear. Since the prices went up (I paid $105!) Id think about dropping the extra coin for a name brand awning. Im sure they call come from the same factory in china but the ARBs I've been around are nicer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles