CRVAlaska Official Build/Adventure Journal of our 2001 Honda CR-V

DanCooper

Adventurer
"is that heater pan designed to go on outside of pan? ive never seen a setup like that before, but then again, ive never given it much thought either, lol."

Yup, they are designed to be attached exatly as shown. Greatest invention for cold weather drivers since tires with lugs. I put one on the oil pan, another on the tranny, and yet another ubder the battery. Plug them in a few hours before starting and it's much mo' bettah for the vehicle.

And I love this CRV! Great job.

CRVAlaska

there has been at least one person figure out a lsd for the awd crv tranny, but ive never heard of anyone figuring out a rear lsd for it yet. you can use a d-series diff in the rt4wd wagon rear diff and quite a few folks are using wagon diffs on their crv for that reason, but i know that the gearing is different. so not sure how they got over that hurdle.

I'm gonna be using a Honda Element rear diff unit, it's the same for every year auto or manual and is the same gearing as my V. It has better clutch rings and bigger oil passages for quicker and more engagement and bolts rite up. The element rear diff seems to be the best of all the interchangeable rear diffs Honda offers. A B-series front diff can be machined to work in the rear to get LSD front and rear. and an oil pump/cooler set up can be installed to help keep the diff fluid cooler. Gonna start with the element diff and see where that takes me. The crv is meant for road traction hens why its got open diffs. The quicker the front losses grip the quicker the rear diff will engage and start sending power. So it drive like a FWD with assisted RWD. The car still rotates around turns when I lift off throttle like a FWD and grips with part throttle.

Thanks for all the looks and kind words.

Last edited:

CRVAlaska

Went for a little drive to Rt. 301 to some lakes near Carmel, NY.
View attachment 389210
View attachment 389211

I also when to a local pick and pull for a driver seat from an auto with and armrest, and grabbed a set of Full Fold Down Rear Seat Mounting Brackets so we can camp inside now or take naps on long drives. I just used the driver back rest frame and armrest stuff. I have heated seat stuff installed and the back rest just unbolts anyway so it was an easy swap.
View attachment 389213
View attachment 389214
View attachment 389215
View attachment 389216

And some shots during working on it.

Sun set.
View attachment 389217
The heat element under the seat cover.
View attachment 389218
The aremrest.
View attachment 389219
The different back rest frames.
View attachment 389220

RC000E

View attachment 389210
View attachment 389211

I also when to a local pick and pull for a driver seat from an auto with and armrest, and grabbed a set of Full Fold Down Rear Seat Mounting Brackets so we can camp inside now or take naps on long drives. I just used the driver back rest frame and armrest stuff. I have heated seat stuff installed and the back rest just unbolts anyway so it was an easy swap.
View attachment 389213
View attachment 389214
View attachment 389215
View attachment 389216

Sun set.
View attachment 389217
View attachment 389218
The aremrest.
View attachment 389219
View attachment 389220

Great info on the Element rear diff. Very good to know. I'm on my 2nd V but my 107th Honda. I'm looking to go the Overland route with mine as well. The girl and I are relocating to Las Vegas and there is plenty of exploration to be done.

The catch here is, none of your attachment links seem to work. I was hoping to see pics of what you'd done. Can you fix this?

Jeez...just realized how long I've been lurking and never posted...lol.

McBluegrips

View attachment 389210
View attachment 389211

View attachment 389213
View attachment 389214
View attachment 389215
View attachment 389216

Sun set.
View attachment 389217
View attachment 389218
The aremrest.
View attachment 389219
View attachment 389220

Love what you're doing with this. Got me a CRV too and this one is the inspiration! Btw, photo links appear dead.

Google it Research

Master of Disaster
I'm following this build as I've just started on mine. I have an '97 I just installed Bilstein shocks with Old Man Emu springs. I am currently tackling drawers for the trunk with a fridge slide and sink.

3-dogs

I'd love to see updates or even if anybody else has done stuff to their hondas. I wrecked my Subaru and it was too expensive to buy one that wasn't ages old where I live. A good deal came up on a 2000 Honda CRV that was sssuuuppper clean and I jumped on it. This thread is kind of an inspiration and a "Why not?" kind of thing.

h4rdflip

Observer
Nice info, I am looking at Monstaliner now thanks, I finally picked up a crv myself well 2 actually. I thought Id mention from what I found out the Accord suspension from 98-02 will fit and give you 2 extra inches of travel. How's the Monstaliner holding so far?

hondadude

Instagram profile @dahlenadventures
Nice info, I am looking at Monstaliner now thanks, I finally picked up a crv myself well 2 actually. I thought Id mention from what I found out the Accord suspension from 98-02 will fit and give you 2 extra inches of travel. How's the Monstaliner holding so far?

Love this build! I've got mine up on here now too if you want to check it out. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ig-project-2001-honda-CRV?highlight=honda+crv
Where did you find out about the accord suspension would work on a CRV? Also what parts of the suspension is needed if you know?

h4rdflip

Observer
I was doing some research for options and found out its been done before with success but I have yet to try it on mine, apparently there is no mods at all required although I assume the alignment will need to be addressed after.

hondadude

Instagram profile @dahlenadventures
I was doing some research for options and found out its been done before with success but I have yet to try it on mine, apparently there is no mods at all required although I assume the alignment will need to be addressed after.

Hmmmm... I'll have to look into that some as well now because some extra suspension travel would be great especially since mine is lifted a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles