1996 FG 639 dual cab tidy up

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Pete

Yep. The deep section of the sump is at the opposite end. Pick up and strainer are also bent accordingly.

If you try to run an FE sump on an FG the front diff comes close to hitting but the tailshaft hits first. An FG must run the correct sump.

Bet those boys of yours are getting big now. C ya mate.

Regards John

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
These are the seals I still need, see red arrows...

thanks for the heads up PKDreamers, bit scared to pull one of the seals out if I cant get it replaced, might take a measure and go and visit them and see what may work, still haven't heard back from Fuso for 2 days while they see if they have them, it's not great service that's for sure.
The swivel boots were through Don kyat, @$168 each and they are actual mitsubishi parts, not knock offs.

Today got the new shockers fitted all round, the old ones were beyond knackered, so it will be interesting to drive it when it's back on the road. Also fitted a new waterpump as the old one was leaking under pressure, I thought it was the radiator, but happy to be proven wrong as the pump is significantly cheaper at @$150 compared to the radiator cost and also fitted a new handbrake cable and complete replacement handbrake assembly from the wrecker, as mine literally imploded internally and everything was trashed and lastly some new grab handles so climbing in and out is not such a mission!

Got quoted $550 plus freight from WA for a sump, John it makes your brand new price seem reasonable and I'm almost tempted to see if Fuso has them, so I am still tossing up what to do about the sump and will keep looking. Didn't think it would be so difficult.
Dave

Last edited:

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi Pete

Yep. The deep section of the sump is at the opposite end. Pick up and strainer are also bent accordingly.

If you try to run an FE sump on an FG the front diff comes close to hitting but the tailshaft hits first. An FG must run the correct sump.

Bet those boys of yours are getting big now. C ya mate.

Regards John

Hi John,
Just thought you maybe able to reverse the sump and pick up like on sum other engine when putting 2wd engine into 4wd chassis.
Yes the boys are big now one is 13 the tallest and one is 15 and our baby Arlo is 14 months old now how time flys lol lol.

Good tip about Don Kaytt thanks.
I would price a Oem sump you never know.
Have you asked Allan on the forum about a sump?
If you clean those seals up while stil iin the transfer you shouldbe able to get a part number or size off them.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Bit of an update, did get a price on OEM sump, was $970 +gst, so luckily after emailing just about everyone in Australia, I have a good used one being freighted down from Mareeba in Qld thanks to the very helpful mob at NQ Truck Wreckers.

Got the transfer seals from Whitehorse truck spares in Footscray, very helpful bunch, unlike the Fuso mob in Campbellfield who still haven't got back to me at all. So the truck should be back here next week once the sump is replaced, so far it's had the front end stripped and resealed with new wheel bearings etc., brakes bled and adjusted, new shocks all round, Timbren bump stops fitted to the front, new rocker cover gasket, a set of the fancy Alan's wheel nuts fitted, replaced front diff, gearbox and transfer oil, a few new hoses and other bits and pieces and now have a functioning hand brake again.

Just a tip, the complete handbrake backing plate assembly was off a 2wd canter of similar vintage, they are identical with only the internal arm that connects to the handbrake cable having a different end on it making it incompatible, easily fixed by panel beating my mangled original one back into good straight condition and swapping them over.

Getting stuck back into the ambo body again, so fingers crossed with 3 1/2 weeks to go it'll get done , gotta say no one I know thinks it's gonna happen, but I am determined one way or another well get away on time!
Dave

canter tourer

Adventurer
This week has been pretty busy, with massive thanks to my old man who has been working on the wiring internally, I now have the majority of that knocked over and this week need to build the slide out bed, plus a million other little jobs.

Filled the front wall holes

New tank and rear cab repairs finished.

Today has been a big one, with the body finally bolted down permanently. As always, there has to be a hiccup, I installed a new larger fuel tank this week and sure enough hadn't accounted for the extra length, so when I dropped the body on I wondered why it sat high one end, then realised it was sitting on the tank:Wow1:luckily no damage and off with the body again and redrilled and dropped the tank 'J' brackets 30mm and all sweet again. So now it's bolted on, and I drove it 100metres, felt epic just to get that out of the way!
Now gotta sort out fitting the original air filter back somehow, new front springs and tyres to come, gonna be a busy 2 weeks to departure....

Dave

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
Still working flat out trying to get it all together for departure on Saturday.
Put the interior back together yesterday, with dynamat type underlay and additional acoustic liner over the top, even did some in the doors, which is well worth the effort. Gotta say, wow what an amazing difference, drove it to my mechanic tonight and initially was trying to unblock my ears because it was so quiet, soon realised there was nothing wrong with my ears, it is an amazing change and couldn't recommend it more highly to anyone who has one, simply night and day and a pleasure to drive now and the wife and kids will be happy campers.

Also fitted a wind out awning and a red dot air-con condenser to the roof today from this lovely bloke http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261381806448?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT, these are an awesome buy if anyone is after something like this. It's at the mechanics for it to be plumbed up and hopefully the compressor is still ok and the twin evaporator system will work again, fingers crossed and will post a pic when all done.
Still to go, new tyres, new front springs on Friday and build the beds Wednesday and Thursday, so lots to do, but little time. Either way we'll get away one way or another.
Dave

Last edited:

canter tourer

Adventurer
Can't believe its been 5 mths since I last updated this, time flies...

Anyway, we did get away, albeit a day late as I was working till 1am most nights just trying to get it finished off and it all caught up with me and knocked me out for 24hrs, gotta respect the body and listen next time:ylsmoke:

So below are some more pics of the build of the internal beds and another I found of the body going on, plus some of the beast in action doing what it should, living its days and nights in the bush. All up 3300klms over 2 weeks and an absolutely trouble free trip, nothing broke, probably the most reliable thing I've ever taken away and most importantly the family had a ball and the wife still loves me:smiley_drive:

Body going on

Rear bed slide built

Bunks

Interior with our sleeping stuff insitu

canter tourer

Adventurer
The following are some pics of it in it's element, some friendly locals and a couple of some of the splendid scenery that the Flinders Ranges has to offer...

Waiting at Wilpena Pound for the tracks to be reopened due to the torrential rain..

Couple of inquisitive local birds:)

Amazed at how well the seals kept out the mud and dust..

Home sweet home..

canter tourer

Adventurer
The beauty of mother earth..

The tracks in run through the creek beds which are usually dry, due to the rain they were a bit wet, mostly driving through rivers, but fun all the same..

Looking pretty..

Picture taken about half way between the Flinders and Broken Hill in the middle of nowhere, about 5 minutes after accidentally getting the truck fully airborne on a corner that caught me out, lesson learnt and a surprise for all, thankfully nothing broken and not too much of a mess in the back after the landing:Wow1:

canter tourer

Adventurer
So what have I done in the past 5 months on it, nothing much, fixed a headlight that rattled loose and sorted out the led light wiring a bit better.

Still to build a rear spare wheel carrier, bit of a pain pulling it out each night to make room for the family in the back, on the to do list....other changes to make, re-make the bunks as having lift up storage was a pain in the rear, gonna go with pull out bins underneath keepin it simple and user friendly. Will tweak the under double bed storage for easier access and looking for a low profile double mattress as the one in it was too high, and still want to pop the roof, all time and money:)

Otherwise, love driving it every chance I get and look forward to getting it dirty again soon.
Turned out to be a great match of ambo body and truck, with a loaded weight of 2040kg front axle, and 2240 rear axle, total wet weight 4280, well under the 4495kg that it is registered for, with a little room to play. The aircon works brilliantly with the remote roof condenser and second evaporator in the rear, kept everyone comfortable and happy wife:)
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94