El Camaleon Azul. an '08 V8 4x4 T4R built to go.....

zidaro

Explorer
Trimmed the front body mounts back to give tires as much clearance as possible.
Just need to fill the hole with a plate now. Todays Project

IMG_4121_zpsng1zmhqp.jpg

IMG_4122_zpsvfm78twf.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Loaded up my front calipers finally

Bought the runner with these already installed in the front, 5th gen calipers.
but they had not been treated with anything, so had a nice coat of surface rust. wire wheeled them, then dipped them in Evaporust rust remover to seal the deal.
coated them with the Duplicolor Caliper Ceramic Kit https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BCP400-Red-Brake-Caliper/dp/B000B6AF80
So purdy!
New Akebono Ceramic pads and plenty of disc brake grease to stop the seizing!

Wanted to show pics of the spring clip and wear tab orientation. Wear indicator placement is at outside and bottom of caliper (bottom being when installed, bleeder up).

IMG_4130_zps5kcgi68s.jpg

IMG_4129_zps9pp4e6pd.jpg

can just barely see the Indicator Tab on upper rt. side of top pad in this pic. If you look at the pads all together, it will be obvious which 2 have the tabs.

IMG_4132_zpsccbgmxgr.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
^^^^ thanks bud. i do hope it helps someone out at some point.

Theres nothing wild and new going on in the 4th gen. World right now. so all I'm doing is beating a dead horse at this point, documenting my journey.

fit up the spindles with the Total Chaos Spindle Gusset Kit.
Made for the 4th gens, but there is 0 reason why this will not fit all '03+ T4R/FJC's. same spindles, same space.
Great fit, only required minimal trimming to line up all mounting holes. The sway bar links bolted up with no extra trim required on bracing. Though I'm not running the Sway Bar from here on out.
FYI- if you go this route- the TC Spindle Gusset kit with the sway bar option has a much better bracing, ie. much stronger, than the kit without SB option.

IMG_4148_zpsoihoezs2.jpg

IMG_4150_zps3emlsaa6.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Nice build!!!

I look forward to seeing more!

Those spindle gussets look great, nice work!

thanks guys! Its coming. Hopefully soon i can add some pics of the dang thing sitting on rubber and maybe even some adventures in the dirt!!

for now- you get crappy weld stacks and shiny paint :)

daily progress-
cut plates and welded them in today for the front body mount.
Keep a spray bottle of h2o handy should yo go this close to the mounts. Rubber likes to flame up.
should give plenty of clearance. Used 3/16" so should take some punishment too, if i ever got way too deep :)

IMG_4160_zpsixexcgxb.jpg

IMG_4161_zpskoqxgxcj.jpg

IMG_4162_zpshlunwyny.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
So, rears all buttoned up aside from bleeding the brakes

Front in progress!!

Cleaned up the spindles and painted them in my favorite, Rustoleum HammerFinish. I find its very durable.
Tapped in the rear spindle seal for the CV. Found a small section of trex decking worked great. I tried using the front hub cap to tap it in as suggested on another forum- that proved unfun.

IMG_4184_zps6u7epiol.jpg

Heres the new OEM seal # for the Driverside axle housing at the CV. Put one of these in too, obviously :)

IMG_4186_zpsgdpgwsss.jpg

To solve my frozen LCA cam bolt situation, which required me to cut thru the cam bolt sleeve on one side to remove the arm, i got the wild idea to replace both front LCA's with OEM 5th gen. arms.
4th gens and 5th gens run the same basic suspension, along with the FJC!!
The 5th gens were upgraded with larger ball joints, improved gusseting on the arm, and- to my unknowing surprise- larger cam bolts. I suppose this last item is a good one, but it did require some quick thinking and a mild game change to adjust for the larger bolts. If you recall- cuz i now you've memorized my full thread- i purchased the Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset Kit prior. It was for the 03-09 LCA cam bolts. No fit no mas!! Luckily i didn't weld them on yet, Whew.
Bought the new TC Gusset Kit for the 10+ FJ/T4Rs (cuz they are the same) and prepped them up, welded them in!

5th gen arms (these are actually off a newer FJC that was laid on its lid then parted out!!
I bought them with all the hardware (bolts) complete.

IMG_4159_zpsdmkhrwq0.jpg

all cleaned up

IMG_4197_zpstumyhbag.jpg

Heres those old cam tabs that were blown out. Surprising it could get an alignment that had good #s.

IMG_4058_zpskufofzjd.jpg

IMG_4059_zpsv9iliubq.jpg

Cam bolt kit for the 5th gens (notice the different PN.

IMG_4188_zps1x1u6ous.jpg

This did require me to grind out each bolt hole on the frame after aligning and tacking in the cam gussets so that the larger cam bolts will slip thru the frameholes. A pain, but no biggie.

IMG_4192_zpsvlpwdamz.jpg

IMG_4193_zpsp7jaa8fg.jpg

And remember------
IMG_4185_zpsvoim3uvg.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
In my quest to obtain parts for cheap :REOutShootinghunter (sorta), i pirated my wifes UCA's off her '10runner :yikes: Don't fret, her ride is still looking good! We've just decided this will be our thrasher and hers does not need the wild goodies to wheel hard, just enough to keep it looking good and able to romp thru the Winters up here.

Nice ICON's!!

IMG_4189_zpsce0wheec.jpg

Stripped them down, cleaned them up, and swapped in some new Uniballs cuz the originals were getting slightly loose.

IMG_4194_zps4poebid1.jpg

All cleaned, tight, and lubed- ready to party!! Who doesn't love THAT!!!!

IMG_4195_zpsqkjlsbgq.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Todays wrap-up!
Finally with everything clean, prepped, welded, and painted. Put it together! Was only able to get the driverside finished today

LCA bolted up, CV beat in, spindle on at the LCA, UCA attached at the frameside. Then the coilover gets installed.
IMG_4198_zpspdgf2ils.jpg

Once the coils in, attach the steering joint, the upper spindle taper, the rotor and caliper, torque the hub bolt and all others, finish it off with the uniball cover on the UCA!

IMG_4203_zpsvcvopgcr.jpg

IMG_4201_zpsnqoky0us.jpg

IMG_4200_zpskycpg1ey.jpg

IMG_4199_zpsxcxqf455.jpg

gotta wrap up the passenger side, weld on the frame side brake line tabs, bleed the brakes, add some gear oil and go break in the pads!! Finish it off with an alignment.
At work for a couple days then back at it, hope to have it on the road again by next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne