El Camaleon Azul. an '08 V8 4x4 T4R built to go.....

zidaro

Explorer
Here we go again!
I am completely obsessed with Toyotas.
My wife would in no way argue with me when i tell her its a DISEASE! I like to think of it like being a Nympho- not necessarily a horrible disease, but a disease none the less

New to me 4th gen. Its an 08 V8 Limited 4x4 has high miles (205K once i got it home) but is otherwise in exceptional condition. Maintenance is done. Flew upgrades. Some minor flaws. Some mild MO surface rust. Amazing price. PERFECT starter.
Left Kansas City with a fresh alignment and oil change
Thanks CiscoKid@T4R.org , You Rock!!

Obligatory starter photos along the way home.

IMG_3184_zpsg5lizwbs.jpg

IMG_3187_zpse8ujjz3r.jpg

IMG_3197_zpst226misw.jpg

cruises very nicely down the hwy

IMG_3193_zpsoywinr1p.jpg

Home sweet home! in the Sierra Nevadas

IMG_3220_zpsplrwizdk.jpg

miles once home. She's up there, and still strong as an ox. +1500mi drive home and burned NO oil and gave me no issue.

IMG_3208_zpserq3th1a.jpg

the family meeting, minus the 87crawler that is stranded in the garage with no engine right now. Told you i was addicted :Wow1:

DSC_1678_zpsv8kfav9i.jpg

Been dreaming of the V8 ever since my wife bought the 5th gen. with the V6. Plz don't tell her, no need for hurt feelings. It just doesn't haul *** :roost:
Full-time 4WD with a sweet Torsen center locking Diff. don't hurt that handling either

DSC_1685_zpskciqxs7e.jpg

DSC_1693_zpsstfiag4q.jpg

Has the Camburg UCA with BJ and a BJ cover (MUY IMPORTANTE!!)

DSC_1681_zpsauggpuyz.jpg

Suspension is a combo of FJ and TACO springs/struts/and spacers. Rides AMAZING on the road. Rails corners like a racer. However, got it out on some basic washboard and the ride is a bit harsh for my liking, has trouble holding a line cuz it is skipping all over the place.
Provides a small lift from stock.
Great for today, but rest assured, more exciting things are coming in the near future.
:Mechanic:

DSC_1682_zps9xdfuoau.jpg

DSC_1702_zpsfj5hciqi.jpg

a sunroof that does not leak or rattle

DSC_1689_zpswbnawsc5.jpg

driver seat has some small cracks/tears. Need to halt the progress- who's got tips? Im thinking Shoe Goo. It works on moto seat tears nicely.
But the seats are HEATED!!!! Sierra Winters never so tame as when you've got a heated seat.

DSC_1691_zpsjjamcwov.jpg

stereo deck with a bluetooth and usb. all dash lighting was converted to blue and all interior lighting is LED. Thx Cisco Kid! i woulda never went there, but it sure is sweet.

DSC_1705_zpstdmkfba7.jpg

DSC_1710_zpsysvfmt7w.jpg

There ya have it. Vehicle intro.
Plan is to build a very capable yet streetable rig.
-One that is able to bomb down washboard rutted roads, bounce over some smaller rocks and whoops that one encounters in the desert regularly.
-Crawl over some decent rocks- i would like to be able to cruise the Rubicon, yet have no intentions of taking the hard lines.
-Speed on the highway, and take paved corners without feeling like I'm lifting a tire.
-Take my kid and her friends to school
-Handle the Winters of the Eastern Sierras, where we get +20' snow a year easily

Hence - EL CAMALEON AZUL!
able to adapt to any environment without hesitation

Let the build commence.

Now all i need is $$, time, more $$, more time, and ideas!!
Have a build on T4R rolling along as well, feel free to follow and comment there as well (or instead)

BUT- First i should get it smogged!!!! Gas cap is causing some issues right now.

always feel free to flame, hope you guys enjoy my journey.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
First upgrade on.

Picked up a very nice, nearly brand new with no abuse RCI Aluminum Skid Powdercoated blk.

DSC_1715_zpsol11fqxe.jpg

DSC_1714_zps35mxx1oh.jpg

Installed it without issue. Simple 4bolt. This is the older version without the bolthead protection. Seems like a very nice skid, but i will tell you, considering we have the Budbuilt skids on my Tundra, these RCI skids in alum. or steel are not built with the same attention to detail or durability in mind. It has no support at the lowest portion of the skid in front, a hit to it will result in a bent skid. Budbuilt skids have HD support to the frame at this point. It will be the spot that this RCI skid fails, sooner or later. Way more durable than the TIN OEM skids Toyota sells our toys with though, don't get me wrong :)
Price was very right! thank you Neil, Flyer@T4R.org
Great to meet you and can't wait to run the trails in Colo. with ya! BlackBear and more....

DSC_1720_zpsmk6umtmf.jpg

Some teaser shots of the goodies piling up in the garage-

Picked up a very nice set of Coilovers. Much nicer than i had intended, but too good to pass up.
DSC_1721_zpshqhgkomd.jpg

5th gen. T4R Fox DSC 2.5 extended travel coils. Lightly used.

Spidertax Hubcentric 1.25" spacers. So i can run the OEM backspaced rims with my setup- to be announced shortly.

DSC_1722_zpsr7zpehl8.jpg

better stop there, don't want to give too much away before I'm ready to start wrenching.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Alright. Getting excited!! and my wallet is smoldering in the aftermath :)
Previous 2 posts were to catch up to today.

In preparation for the upcoming changes. Some stats. as it sits, on level ground

Ride Ht. as purchased- need to measure
Front frame Ht. at body mount behind wheel-
Rear frame Ht. just in front of LCA frame mount-

Current Equipment-
Front-tacomaTRD struts/springs/.5"spacer/Camburg BJ UCA's Rear-FJsprings/Daystar1.5"spacers/TacoTRDshocks
Tire size- 265/70R17 or ~ 31.5"x10.5 although worn well beyond fresh

FullSizeRender_zpskgogvckw.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsboctsufv.jpg

BigOrca

Looks like you're off to a great start. Allow me to talk up the RCI aluminum skids for a second. A buddy of mine lodged his 4th gen. on a hefty rock in Moab (it was literally the only thing around to hit, so don't ask me how it happened) and it lifted both front wheels clean off the ground and even made the rears light for a second. He reversed off and with the exception of a few cosmetic scuffs they were right as rain. The buds are probably beefier, but that made a believer out of me. Anyway the runner looks awesome. Keep us posted.

zidaro

Explorer
Looks like you're off to a great start. Allow me to talk up the RCI aluminum skids for a second. A buddy of mine lodged his 4th gen. on a hefty rock in Moab (it was literally the only thing around to hit, so don't ask me how it happened) and it lifted both front wheels clean off the ground and even made the rears light for a second. He reversed off and with the exception of a few cosmetic scuffs they were right as rain. The buds are probably beefier, but that made a believer out of me. Anyway the runner looks awesome. Keep us posted.

Right on! thats good to hear. They were the Aluminum version?

I actually purchased an RCI steel gas tank skid as well. It shouldn't ship for a week or so, as i bought it discounted on a group buy from T4R.org I believe it to be a good unit, or i would not have spent the dough. Its a 1/4" steel plate of beef that should hold up well.

zidaro

Explorer
I know everyone loves a little ***!
So, heres a few teaser shots of my sweet rear end
Maybe once all these parts are piled up, i can start putting them into place :)

Rear lift will be achieved via a set of Toytec Superflex2.0HD springs. Picked these hardly used guys up off a T4R.org member for a good price.

DSC_1741_zpsouldsvqx.jpg

DSC_1742_zpso9mmqnnp.jpg

same ht. for both springs. Apparently the newest version has a 1/2" difference to compensate for the DS sag?
DSC_1743_zpsoz1hshog.jpg

ICON 2.5 RR Shocks, built for a 5th gen runner. Picked them up used off, surprise- T4R.org. Slipping on a set of daystar shock boots to guard the shafts from gravel pitting.
And a nice set of TrailWorxFab Lower Link Armor to eliminate the link bracket rock massaging.
https://trailworxfab.com/product/fj-cruiser-rear-lower-link-armor/

DSC_1744_zps0bnch2yc.jpg

DSC_1745_zpss6rcf54z.jpg

Keeping my rear end tight with a beefed up set of links. Like doing lunges!
Grabbed some sexy ICON Billet lower links from a ridiculous seconds sale ICON had. Couldn't tell. But they are BIG AND BEEFY! Poly bushings on the frame side to keep it plush in the cab.
Brian from FrontRangeOffRoad has been building the BADDEST Toyota suspension and drivetrain Upgrades for decades now. Brian has now found himself delving into the FJ/4th gen runner platforms!! And i gotta tell you, this is good news for us with the 03-09's. Expect to see some AMAZING **** hitting the trails from them. Suspension and drivetrain. And Ill be here putting it to the test as much as possible if i have anything to say about it.
Products - 2003-2009 4Runner - Front Range Off-Road Fabrication
My new FROR upper links/panhard 1.25"DOM and 7/8"heims

DSC_1740_zpsr6al9nqf.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Alright!
Finally got the official smog test done with a passing grade.

Was throwing codes and dash light xmas tree.

Hook up my Scanguage, it tells me its a PO456. minor evap leak. reset the gas cap cuz it seemed loose, cleared the codes and ran it thru its tests for 400 miles- codes returned!! so frustrating to take that long and then throw codes again. Took a minute to get codes figured out and then takes ridiculously long to reset the computer thru its drive tests it has to go thru.

This time Was getting these codes, along with the dash lighting up like an xmas tree:

IMG_3310_zpslhbzpaop.jpg

IMG_3311_zpst5e5cjrm.jpg

Scanguage II comes thru again.
If you don't have one, you should. Can read codes, clear codes, and tells you when the computer is ready again. and has tons of other features, as well as a digital dashboard with diagnostic measures you set. So easy to use. And can use it on allayer OBDII vehicles.

Cleared the codes. Replaced the most obvious first, after looking over all the vacuum lines for cracked hoses or loose connections
OEM Gas Cap. Cap i replaced had a very stiff gasket at the sealing surface.

IMG_3339_zpssklszc3j.jpg

took 200 miles to clear the system after the second reset.
Scanguage told me it was ready, so we went in.

IMG_3443_zpsnzxg5dfh.jpg

finally its mine, and legal in CALI

Took advantage of 20%off/free ship in the T4R.org forum GB Have em in my Tundra, they are amazing doing what they do.

IMG_3444_zpsqrhkirjz.jpg

IMG_3442_zpsnti9ycxc.jpg

IMG_3445_zpspiqqaqfa.jpg

Now that were smogged and fully registered, i can start hacking on this thing!!!

and finally some tech, instead of me just posting up shots of crap on my garage floor :)

bkg

Explorer
You're totally going to leave us all hanging on the 1st gen while you work on this one. ��

zidaro

Explorer
IMG_3447_zpswcfhiu2u.jpg

Now that smog is done :)
Installed an intake. Need all the Air i can harness living at 8000'
Love the AFE DryFlow Filters, have had one in my Tundra for a few years and they work excellent, no oil into the throttle body, a High quality filter that is easy to clean.
http://urdusa.com/store/Intakes-Col...9-4Runner-4.7L-V8-and-GX470/product_info.html
Pulls most of its air using the same OEM snorkel location out of fender well, has an addtl. opening into front of box for added air. Not sure id go as far as to call it a CAI, but thats what everyone like to call them
It LOOKS GOOD, SOUNDS nice, sucks AIR!!

IMG_3448_zpsd0gbuoci.jpg

leaves a little more room behind it than the OEM box for something fun :)

IMG_3450_zpskqeleswj.jpg

IMG_3449_zpsqhihr7ke.jpg

A little preventive maintenance while I'm playing with the intake:
Rutech Air Induction Pump Bypass Kit- a Plug-n-play solution

IMG_3451_zpsrnkoqyec.jpg

Read plenty about the 4.7 air induction system issues. The VVTI secondary air induction pump failures. Might as well not put myself thru the headache. Can be a simple annoying noise or check engine light/ codes thrown/limp modes, or the valves stick open and you can't start your rig without digging deep. No bueno.
Simple harness, plugs inline at the AFM sensor plug on airbox, took 30seconds to install. Didn't install the block-off plates as my valves never stuck open.
No changes noticed yet.
http://rutechsolutions.com/products...p-bypass-kit-exhaust-port-plates-no-cutting-1

Changed out the Lead-Acid battery for something that won't throw nasty juice all over the place when your bouncing thru the desert :)
Group Buy discount was nice. I have one in our 5th gen and it is very nice. Absolutely direct fit.
Northstar 27F. Lots of JUICE- for cold starts and running accessories like our ARB Fridge.

IMG_3452_zpsypn9akv9.jpg

Used the OEM battery tiedowns mated with a steel battery tray from JEGS. perfect fit, durable and secure.

IMG_3446_zpsx8399uis.jpg

Todays projects all in place!

IMG_3453_zpse13xax1p.jpg

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Uhhhh, these aren't gonna fit?
Seem to b ok going straight on flat ground.

Need to make some room!

IMG_3580_zpszaqvh1ty.jpg

IMG_3578_zpsrd5csegw.jpg

IMG_3577_zpsw5wlcoik.jpg

zidaro

Explorer

Getting a lil hand! Accessing parts is sometimes best left in the hands of the pros in the know. Or who they know

zidaro

Explorer
Glassworks Unlimited
Best product, hard service. If you want a set and don't want to ride on a washing machine for months, find a shop that has an amazing relationship with them
DMZ fabrication, Jeff, is one of those places. DMZ got it done and quick. http://dmzfab.com
Had Jeff instal them as well, for that perfect fit
Now I just need a bumper and some paint to get a more useable space that looks and works amazing.
Baby steps it seems

image3_zps35qurzhy.jpg

B01CFD23-C912-401E-A662-42F907350F13_zpsqu5xoxjd.jpg

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
been busy stripping down and prepping!

nasty Missouri salty roads have gotten in. So the cleanup, which i will add is NO FUN, has begun to cleanup the frame
step 1- expose it
step 2- wire wheel and sanding wheel grind it, remove as much rust as i can manually
step 3- treat the cleaned frame with Duplicolor Rust Convertor coat https://www.jbtoolsales.com/duplicolor-sp229-vht-paint-rust-converter-11-oz/
step 4- quick prime coat
step 5- topcoat in gloss black with POR15 TopCoat and Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Extreme Chassis Black® High Gloss 14 oz. Aero - Best Chassis Black formulation Available with Eastwood

heres the nasty. my ocd cannot handle this stuff!!

IMG_3901_zpsxvgijyzm.jpg

IMG_3910_zpsc8gncdoy.jpg

IMG_3913_zps2oteotte.jpg

IMG_3903_zpssdzwep94.jpg

IMG_3909_zpsykwmm2lu.jpg

also prepped some for the suspension. picked up some TC Cam Gussets. One of the oem gussets is already blown out and needs to be replaced, might as well beef it up

IMG_3878_zpsuwef5ceo.jpg

tabs tacked on the backside
IMG_3914_zpsmxzvxd0x.jpg

and fully burned in. PS- I'm no pro welder, but nothing has ever fallen apart! YET
IMG_3916_zps7jd7itfy.jpg

now, LCA's come off, then i gotta knock off the old ones and burn these on. All in good time.

Upgrading the brakes at the same time. Fronts were already upgraded to 5th gen calipers when i got the runner, but no treatment was applied so they are covered in surface rust.
Heres the rear 5th gen calipers. Picked up a set of loaded calipers from Centric.
Now ill remove the rust from the fronts and paint all 4 all purdy.

IMG_3879_zpslxcvpnxz.jpg

anyone looking to pull some rust. THIS stuff is amazing. Evaporust!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TLQ6..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=W67973X1RRACGFYESN2S

been using it for a couple years, it WORKS. soak your part for a day, wash it off with water, done. Paint. You even can reuse the stuff forever, just pour it back into the bottle till you need it again.

after shots coming :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles