El Camaleon Azul. an '08 V8 4x4 T4R built to go.....

Scalded_Dawg

Curious on how you like the 4.88s... Must be a lot of low end grunt!
What ratio did you have before?

Mine still has the stock gears (3.42s?) and I'm researching to figure out what most people are swapping to...
Thanks!

Richie Rich

Your 4runner is inspiring, got a lot of ideas from this thread.

Mine will be coming soon, right after my shop is built.

zidaro

Explorer
Curious on how you like the 4.88s... Must be a lot of low end grunt!
What ratio did you have before?

OEM was 3.73. so pretty big jump. Then intention is to run 35's once this set wears out and i have some time to trim the necessary room for them. Right now- YES! Very torquey. I will even say a bit too much, that it even becomes a lil jumpy in first gear. 4wheel low 1st gear is just silly, not dual cases silly, but still quite workable for crawling. To answer the ?, i like the gearing, but look forward to how it is going to be once I'm running the correct tire dia.

Since you now have lockers front and rear is their any point in locking the center deferential besides to disable VSC?

Good question. Honestly don't know cuz i have not had enough opportunity on challenging trails to play with it. I can say with the lockers, she can wheel. No tires spinning or stalling looking for traction in any way. Something i felt was the case with the center diff., it searched around looking for where to put the power then eventually mozied up and over.

Damn! I need to get out. This has been one of those years- been spending lots of time hiking and running the trails, not enough time wheeling them though.
Took on a few projects this season that have eaten up that time. They've been a handful, bit think it was worth it.
Spring, gonna be a good one :) Really looking forward to blasting around the local deserts in the sunshine and seeing what trouble i can find.

zidaro

Explorer
Your 4runner is inspiring, got a lot of ideas from this thread.

Mine will be coming soon, right after my shop is built.

Right on, thanks. Looking forward to seeing your journey up on here. Where in N.Co. are you? Spent most of my time for quite a few years in Del Mar, Cardiff, and Encinitas working and romping. Still get down there as much as possible, to visit and play. LOVE that area!

Scalded_Dawg

OEM was 3.73.

What's the gearing code on your door plate?
Curious... Mine ('04 T4R V8 Limited) shows an "A01A" which correlates to 3.42 ratio. I need to do a spin/count to verify. I'm thinking of going to 4.10s paired with 255/85 tires.

Last edited:

94toy22re

Observer
Their was never a gear option for the 4th gen 4runner all v8's and 2005+ V6's came with a 3.73 and 03-04 v6's had a 3.91!

zidaro

Explorer
What's the gearing code on your door plate?
Curious... Mine ('04 T4R V8 Limited) shows an "A01A" which correlates to 3.42 ratio. I need to do a spin/count to verify. I'm thinking of going to 4.10s paired with 255/85 tires.

Their was never a gear option for the 4th gen 4runner all v8's and 2005+ V6's came with a 3.73 and 03-04 v6's had a 3.91!

I’ll heck when I get off shift. Honestly thought it was 3.73, but don’t know for certain now why it was that o thought that. Whatever it is, it was just oem factory

What I do know is that the 4.88s are considerably lower

zidaro

Explorer
Been gettin some fun wheeling in lately. Shallow snow depths this year in the Sierras have made all our trails mostly accessible.

Did a run up Wheeler Crest on NYE! Fun

@wheeleveryweekend and @goldcountrytaco accompanied.

2CBC95ED-CDF7-47D0-B1EC-0F8521EF26D8_zpsuhcoabcs.jpg

EA2FB717-EBF0-4178-8D7A-C9941A869141_zpsbqznw1mm.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
All this shallow snow with fun rocks hidden under! Ive got Lockers, a V8, and 33's!!
Such a blast, why would i be wasting my time under the front end??

49B95206-94DB-411D-A0AF-936DBD55777E_zpshwrdemqq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior