Something followed me home: 7 slot love

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
1947 CJ2A: AKA "Bigdaddy's Jeep therapy sessions"

While I mulled this project over before purchasing, we came to refer to it as the "McDonalds Jeep on Craigslist", due to the mixture of Yellow, red and white patina which reminded us of our former lives when we used to frequent that restaurant. :)

As things progressed, that name evolved into a few different variations, "McJeep", "McWillys" and finally, "Mclovin" which is an homage to the "I'm lovin it" advertising campaign, as well as a character in one of my favorite movies.

So, McLovin' , it is.

This has since been vetoed...lol. My three daughters have attached themselves to the name Rose, short for "desert rose"


image.jpeg

All rust spots, on the windshield, etc...are very much superficial. I've take 90% of them down to bare metal and sprayed them with a good coat of rustoleum.
tow.pic.jpg
Can anyone confirm that these fabrics are factory? They're in really good shape overall and are surprisingly comfortable. I also picked up a factory, matching middle seat insert. It effectively turns the front seat into a bench.
interior.jpg

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Congrats, Brian!

I know a guy at Omix-ADA that can help you find parts. He's a member of this forum but doesn't post here much. Ping me if you want contact info.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Good work. The last things that followed me home were a Mitsu Fuso motor home and a '69 Commando. If I'm going to putt around town, I still take my 3B.
The Jeeps, Mitsu-Fuso and '53 Buick earn the most smiles per mile from me and other people. Get out there and drive it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Alright, so having dug into this project, I find that I have a fairly sizable list of to-do's. Nothing I wasn't prepared for. This Jeep has good bones, and lots of solid parts. Here goes:

1. Engine
Rebuild Carb
Drop block off to get machined and assembled (motor needs a full rebuild - keepin' the Go-devil stock other than a neoprene rear main seal, upgraded hardware, and hardened valve seats, etc )
Electronic ignition
2. Safety
Seating mounting brackets and bolts
Seat belts
Roll cage design/build
3. Drivetrain
Inspect clutch once engine is out - replace as needed
Drain and refill transmission/tcase
Drain and refill F&R diffs
Pull driveshafts, remove old u-joints, replace with new
Repack/replace axle bearings and seals
4. Brakes
New everything
Brake lines
cylinders (master/slave)
Pads (shoes)
Discs (drums)
Dual master cylinder
Prop valve
5. Electrical
12v conversion planning
new wiring harness
new coil
new alternator/bracket
new starter
head lights
misc bulbs
ignition switch
fuel sender
6. Paint/body/interior/exterior
Paint for body, frame, running gear, interior, wheels
Rust repair (3 small spots)
Dent repair right rear 1/4 panel
New hardware throughout
upholstery -rear seat
decals/placards
soft top
jump seats - rear
Shifter knobs
shifter boots
mats?
windshield mechanism's L/R
footman loops
Tire carrier bracket
7. Fuel system
Check fuel pump (probs replace)
Replace fuel tank (plastic vs. metal?)
replace fuel lines (kit omix-ada/walck's)
gas cap
8. Cooling system
Repair radiator
New water pump
Radiator hoses
Thermostat
That's my list just off the top of my head, based on what I've seen so far. If I come in under $7500.00 I'm gonna be stoked. I can do a lot of this myself, but I'm also going to be teaching a buddy to wrench, weld, do light body work, etc. There is definitely going to be some work farmed out for the sake of time and because I don't want to do things twice. I can't let this project take years to get done...I'll lose interest.
I have a tentative deadline to get this rig on the road for an off-road event next January. So not complete, but safe and reliable by then. I would be STOKED if I were able to participate in holiday time parades this year, but I'm pretty busy, and working with a working class budget, so we'll see.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Oh and as far as my shop goes I have:

Lots of hand tools
Arc welder
Mig welder
Floor jack
jack-stands
metal chop saw
grinders
industrial sewing machines
What I'll likely need:
- Engine hoist (probably just rent one)
- Engine stand
- compressor
- media blast cabinet
-pro paint gun (currently rocking an entry level one, which is just "ok")

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Great piece of history.
Any back story on this?

Honestly not much. I know it was first sold in 12-1947 (location unknown, but likely AZ). in 1957 it was titled in AZ, and stayed with that owner until 1991 when it was put in trust (owner passed away maybe) and there it stayed until 2014 when the gent I bought it from picked it up.

is there a way that I can figure out more via a Willy's vin database?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94