Cooper Discoverer--Daddy/Daughter Trip, San Rafael Swell

mph

Expedition Leader
DSC_1137.jpg

"So you're scared?", I asked my good friend Dave.
"Yep!" Dave was being a honest father. He had never taken his daughter, Maddie, out for a Daddy, Daughter Trip before. I had invited Dave down to the Swell last weekend for a little exploring. He had been there before but not solo, without Maddie's mom. It was time to take the plunge:) Time spent alone with your child is priceless!

We stared off at the Cleveland-Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry outside of Price, Utah. Just a small, off the beaten path quarry that is pretty unique. The largest concentration of dinosaur bones out of the Jurassic Period in the US. It's a great stop for kids.

Dave's truck didn't seem to have any problems with the roads. Dave has a 2012 Tiger RV mounted on a Dodge 3500. Well, the thing can move...

DSC_1186.jpg

Our travels took us to some unique places along the Reef. The San Rafael Reef juts up into the sky in the central part of Utah. The Reef runs approximately 60 miles north-south. It's a land full of canyons, rock art, historic ranches, and just cool stuff:)

This Ranch, I have visited before but we were lucky enough to meet the owners this time. He informed us that they try keep up the ranch house as best as they can. However, they can't leave too much stuff there because it disappears. Sad...In the ranch, there are some pictures and history of the place. So neat.

DSC_1158.jpg

DSC_1162.jpg

The "horses" in the stable.

DSC_1180.jpg

We continued travel along the Reef. Dave's truck seemed to be doing quite well. Amazing that what his Tiger RV could do.

DSC_1188.jpg

Our travels took us to a few big cottonwood trees...A good place to call it a night.

DSC_1199.jpg

The following day, we took a beautiful hike up a canyon with water. So unusual for the desert. Dave and Maddie setting a blistering pace:)

DSC_1209.jpg

Sand, check...Water, check...What else could a child ask for?

DSC_1221.jpg

Maddie throwing a stick...Lilly doing some morning Yoga stretches. Their energy was contagious on this stellar day.

DSC_1213.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
We all were on the lookout for rockart while hiking up the canyon. The canyon began to show large desert-varnish walls. There had to be some there...Lilly and Maddie found the goods.

DSC_1264.jpg

It was just a fun day in the Swell. We continued to look for works of art.

DSC_1310.jpg

DSC_1307.jpg

It's great to spend time with Lilly without Mommy:) Yes, Mommy is wonderful but the conversations are different...The days are different.
We were just having fun!

DSC_1290.jpg

Dave's rig is powerful. The wind was blowing which created a sand-swirl around his camper. However, it was fun to see what the vehicle could/can do! He drove all the tracks that my cruiser did without too much trouble!

DSC_1334.jpg

My land cruiser felt at home in the Swell.

DSC_1323.jpg

Our vehicles took us south along the Reef. We were sneaking in and out of canyons. Rock art? Ruins? Old mining relics? Our eyes were on the lookout.

DSC_1327.jpg

Lilly heading back for after another jaunt. The cottonwoods were leafing...Spring in the desert is so nice.

DSC_1319.jpg

The flowers too...The flowers are usually out for a month or so before they burn off. For now, it's just enjoyable!

DSC_1357.jpg

Our track led us further into the Swell. The magic hours was upon us. On our evening walk, we discovered chert piles everywhere. Chert was used by the Native Americans to make arrowheads. We just wandered and wondered...Lilly in the moment.

DSC_1367.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Our final day was upon us. The Reef was lit up as we enjoyed breakfast. There is something about a quiet, cool desert morning that just feels right. We sipped coffee and packed up. We had some exploring to do:)

DSC_1376.jpg

Dave's setup is big and powerful but it handled all the obstacles for the most part.

DSC_1405.jpg

The Anasazi and Fremont Indians roamed this land for hundreds of years. All that remains are their rock etchings and paintings and some of their dwellings. We were on the look out...

DSC_1440.jpg

Lilly showcasing "the goods" of canyon country.

DSC_1443.jpg

DSC_1492.jpg

Lilly asked, "why were they here?" I replied, "the same reason you're enjoying throwing rocks--water" We thought of the indians who pecked pictures in the rock as they maybe watched their kids run around this slickrock playground. The La Sals are on the horizon in the second picture. Today, it would take you 60 minutes to get over there--Moab area. I wonder how long it took the Anasazi and/or Fremont?

DSC_1422.jpg

DSC_1430.jpg

There are many places that you can walk through the reef. Some narrow, some not...it's just crazy to see it up close. Lilly enjoying the "red" of redrock country.

DSC_1525.jpg

It was time to motor...Time to enjoy seeing some Trash or Treasure in the desert...More to come...

DSC_1563.jpg

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Before heading home, we had to find some Trash, I mean Treasure, in the desert. The miners of Uranium made crude roads all over the San Rafael back in the 50s. But, oil? It was quite the surprise to see this derrick stuck. Oil is my assumption...But, maybe they were drilling for water for the miners? Regardless, it's stuck here for good. The girls definitely thought it was treasure!

Lilly using her metal detector to find...metal of course. She was successful...

DSC_1595.jpg

Man, this vehicle has a story to tell:) I wish I knew it...

DSC_1628.jpg

The girls posing behind the wheel...Dave and I both thought it would have been a pretty rough ride...

DSC_1644.jpg

DSC_1569.jpg

All for now, make a daddy, daughter trip happen in your future. It will be a blast! Until next time...

Last edited:

IM1RU

Observer
Fantastic mph!

I got here from a link on EU.

I envy your little girl being little. Mine is 16 1/2 going on 21. Those times are truly wonderful, thank you for sharing.

mph

Expedition Leader
Yes, they grow up quick...Glad you enjoyed the read...

Fantastic mph!

I got here from a link on EU.

I envy your little girl being little. Mine is 16 1/2 going on 21. Those times are truly wonderful, thank you for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles