LR3: Anyone using 286/60/18 BFG AT KO2?

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
LR3: Anyone using 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2?

Any of you guys wearing 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2s yet? I need to get some tires this week and I was thinking I would replace my Nitto Terra Grapplers with the BFGs, but I was wonder if the BFGs clear everything just as well. I've never had issues with my Nittos, but I want the severe weather rating on the AT KO2s this time around.

Best regards,

Dave

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
You may want to instead go slightly skinnier but more sidewall. 265 65 R18 seems to be the sweet spot for most people with that truck

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
It's crossed my mind, but I already have a 285/60/18 spare I'd like to continue to keep handy and I've become quite accustomed to this tire size. I'll give it some thought though.

Ian_Barry

Observer
I currently run 265/70R18 KO2's.

Love the tire and the size is great although I think I could be fine with a 32" overall.

The tires are fantastic in the snow and great on the rocks. They're not a real M/T so they leave something to be desired in "duck snot" but almost anything does. I cannot fit chains which might present a problem in the future, but for now it's fine.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
I currently run 265/70R18 KO2's.

Love the tire and the size is great although I think I could be fine with a 32" overall.

The tires are fantastic in the snow and great on the rocks. They're not a real M/T so they leave something to be desired in "duck snot" but almost anything does. I cannot fit chains which might present a problem in the future, but for now it's fine.

I cannot run chains either, so I'm looking forward to better traction on snow if it were to come up. 265/65/18 is 10.7" width and 31.5" tall as opposed to 285/60/18 at 11.5" wide and 31.4" tall.

Gotta figure 285/60/18 should be the same between Nitto and BFG, but I'm not a tire expert and I don't know if they reliably factor in shoulder lugs, tread pattern, etc.

I found a guy on a Range Rover forum who has a set in 285/60 on a RRS that didn't report complaints, but he only had them a couple days when the post was made. I'm just being cautious, but they're probably fine.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Not that it's the same tire but I am running 275/65 18 Duratracs with a Johnson rod lift and the only rubbing I found was in the left front fender liner on the inner edge. The liner is molded weird for some reason. I trimmed it out and no more rub.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
All the input you have to offer is welcome.

That's pretty much exactly where I might sometimes rub on this one uphill right turn on our local canyon road. If I'm gonna have a problem I expect it to be there.

jaacina

I have been running the KO2 in 285/60R18 since October. I used them all winter in MN instead of the 265/65R18 Treadwrights that I have used prior. The retread rubber was starting to crack. They worked pretty well in the winter, but are excellent in the rain. They are a little narrower than the Nitto Terra Grapplers that I replaced.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
I have been running the KO2 in 285/60R18 since October. I used them all winter in MN instead of the 265/65R18 Treadwrights that I have used prior. The retread rubber was starting to crack. They worked pretty well in the winter, but are excellent in the rain. They are a little narrower than the Nitto Terra Grapplers that I replaced.

That was exactly what I was looking to hear. Thank you very much for your reply. A little narrower than the Terra Grapplers sounds perfect!

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Sorry just seeing this. I also have been running the 285/60 KO2s. Extremely pleased with them overall. I live in ATL, so cant speak on winter traction, but as someone else said, superb in the rain. Thick, soupy mud wont be your friend, but thatd be the case with most ATs. Very little road noise. Only slight rubbing Ive experienced is in reverse at full-lock. Very pleased with the tires.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Sorry just seeing this. I also have been running the 285/60 KO2s. Extremely pleased with them overall. I live in ATL, so cant speak on winter traction, but as someone else said, superb in the rain. Thick, soupy mud wont be your friend, but thatd be the case with most ATs. Very little road noise. Only slight rubbing Ive experienced is in reverse at full-lock. Very pleased with the tires.

Not too late with the info; I'm ordering the tires tomorrow. Thanks, dude!

Any of you guys wearing 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2s yet? I need to get some tires this week and I was thinking I would replace my Nitto Terra Grapplers with the BFGs, but I was wonder if the BFGs clear everything just as well. I've never had issues with my Nittos, but I want the severe weather rating on the AT KO2s this time around.

Best regards,

Dave

I bought 18 inch wheels off a guy who just installed the 285/60R18 KO2s on his truck and he has no lift. He said that the tires rub just barely on his frame horns. His is an 08 model and his horns stick out further than mine, and mine is an 06. Hope this helps

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
Hey y'all,

Just wanted to update my own thread and say the LT285/60R18 BFG AT KO2 fits just as well at the Nitto TG in the same size w/o a full-time lift. I can tell that the tire is actually a little narrower, which I like. Have only driven a few miles, but so far so good. I hope this helps someone using the search function one of these days.

Best regards,

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles