Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campervan Rental Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
    My two daughters and I flew down to Christchurch and rented a Maui camper for two weeks and did about 2500 k. Down the West Coast, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Mt Cook sort of a deal. I payed for what they are calling 'liability reduction'. I'm guessing this is what you mean by 'extra insurance'? Looking on the Maui/Britz website now, with 'standard liability' you are still responsible for between 5k - 7.5k in the event of an accident (!). Even as a Kiwi my 'domestic insurance company' won't help me in a rental situation. Personally, this was too much of a gamble for me, someone crash's into me, and I have to pay 7.5k! Huge expense though, sixty something dollars per day to rent a nice camper, an additional $45 for liability reduction! Oh, and there is one more twist insurance wise, hidden inside the 'Get the sizzle and stay connected' bundle(!) (on the Britz website), is 'single vehicle rollover cover'..... They don't consider single vehicle rollover's 'accidents' so another $10/day will cover that for you! Again, buried down inside the FAQ's is a list of roads you aren't allowed to drive on at all... To summarise, depend's on how well you know Murphy, I'd pay for it!
    Great info, Billyhilly. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
    Looking at all the campervan rentals, it appears they all offer extra insurance. Here in the U.S.A., I never take it. However, overseas, we are not covered by our domestic insurance company. What's the general thought on purchasing extra insurance from the hire companies? (Britz, Jucy, etc.)
    Most travel insurances have an rental excess reduction, as do some credit cards. I buy an annual policy (AUD350) and it covers me for $6000 excess. Unlike the the US, vehicles come with full insurance as part of the price, but are loaded with high excesses and clauses like which roads you can't drive on etc, etc.

Well, we're booked. Ended up booking a Sprinter (or similar) van through Mighty. And yes,we bought the rental excess reduction. Better safe than sorry. We're going to fly from Auckland to Christchurch and pick the van up there. From there we'll explore the south island and eventually make our way up back to Auckland over 10 days. Thanks for all of your advice.

Back from NZ, and we had an amazing trip. A few notes on the campervan hire:

- We went through Britz/Maui/Mighty. Our 2011 Sprinter was a Mighty.
    - We didn't know there was a Road User Charge for diesel vehicles in NZ, so we ended up buying the company's $299 RUC package, which included any RUC, gave use the ability to return the van empty with fuel and propane, and full with black/gray water.
    - There was a bit of issue picking it up as there was a faulty pipe with the sink. Water was on the floor and they ended up fixing it before we left. However, Mighty wasn't exactly friendly about it, and sort of shooed us out the door afterward.
    - Zero problems with the van on the road. The van ran great, and all of the amenities worked as advertised.
    - There were plenty of dump stations on the South Island, but we found finding fresh water for our tank harder than we expected. (At least without having to visit a holiday park, and even some of them didn't have water for vans)

Next time, I think we'd pick up in Queenstown (vs. Christchurch). The drive from Christchurch to Queenstown is scenic, but it looks very similar to Oregon, USA which is where we live. We would also spend more time in one spot than do so much driving! However, we only had seven days on the South Island, including two in Blenheim (Marlborough).

We also used Okay 2 Stay (http://okaytostay.co.nz), which was great with a self-contained campervan. For $45, you can stay at a variety of businesses free of charge. We stayed in a field outside of a honey producer in Garston, a pub in Onekaka, and two wineries in Blenheim. Everyone was very nice and accommodating.

FYI, this was our route.

Hey Andy,

Glad to hear the trip went well. You got to see some pretty nice places! How many k's in total? As I said we ended up in Wanaka, and did a day trip to Milford Sound. Kind of a long day... I must admit though, the country down Fiordland (I personaly think) is pretty special. And the run you did up the West Coast (South Island) is pretty unique on a global scale. We need a couple of pic's and your favourite spot's when you get time!

Quote Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
    Hey Andy,

Glad to hear the trip went well. You got to see some pretty nice places! How many k's in total? As I said we ended up in Wanaka, and did a day trip to Milford Sound. Kind of a long day... I must admit though, the country down Fiordland (I personaly think) is pretty special. And the run you did up the West Coast (South Island) is pretty unique on a global scale. We need a couple of pic's and your favourite spot's when you get time!
    In total, including the time in the Delica with family, we did more than 5,000 km. And yes, Firodland was unforgettable. A truly amazing place. I'll be putting together some photos and such!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12