BoldAdventures 2015 Power Wagon Build

mikekey

Deplorable
I'm getting 13-15 with 37" KO2's and AEV procal. If I get my foot into it a lot, I'm getting 12. Keep in mind I'm also at 5200ft altitude and higher.

Yea, my speedo isn't recalibrated, so my numbers could be off. My driving isn't normal either. I'm usually going long distances. I don't do a lot of short daily driving like most people. And my truck is almost always me + family + gear.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
I just bought a very gently used (seriously....I don't think it's even been on gravel) 2015 Power Wagon Laramie. OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!!!!!!! :D

Great start with your rig. I like minimal modifications that are functional. I was pretty amazed at how much a stock vehicle, like my 2006 Tacoma TRD would do! I have no need to modify this truck for off road beyond what it came with factory. What a beast these PW's are!! Looking forward to being in Moab in April. I'm not as brave (skilled?) as your wife! I probably won't be doing Hells Gate, unless there is a qualified spotter willing to help out.

I'll be checking back in here for sure. Cheers! -Kurt

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I just bought a very gently used (seriously....I don't think it's even been on gravel) 2015 Power Wagon Laramie. OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!!!!!!!! :D

Great start with your rig. I like minimal modifications that are functional. I was pretty amazed at how much a stock vehicle, like my 2006 Tacoma TRD would do! I have no need to modify this truck for off road beyond what it came with factory. What a beast these PW's are!! Looking forward to being in Moab in April. I'm not as brave (skilled?) as your wife! I probably won't be doing Hells Gate, unless there is a qualified spotter willing to help out.

The only things I did to mine was add a 1 inch spacer up front and put on 35 in tires. I also ran a decked system in back and put a topper on.

mikekey

Deplorable

Thanks, everyone helps each other out. We have a few guys last year who helped spot who are really good and have been there every year.

These trucks are super capable. I don't plan on doing much more myself. I think I will be extending the breathers for the front and rear axle once the snow melts.

Maybe I'll add a bumper one day. But with how I like to wheel, I don't need much more.

mikekey

Deplorable
16830694_1661869467442747_7935544488012988735_n.jpg

Last edited:

mikekey

Deplorable
CAT-Ticket-01.jpg

I forgot I have this. But this is the weight of this truck with two adults + 2 kids in car seats, some recovery gear and a full tank of gas.

So when someone says the PW needs a diesel, I scoff. This truck is heavy enough.

mikekey

Deplorable
I've been hunting for a steel front bumper for awhile. Something that matches the lines of the truck, and is a high clearance bumper.

I love the looks of the AEV bumper, but it does nothing to improve the limitations of the factory bumper.

The second problem in finding a bumper, is most of the steel bumpers out there are built for diesel Ram trucks. And require relocating the winch. And usually stick out further from the front of the truck than I'd prefer.

Then a fellow Power Wagon owner and upstart business owner designed a bumper specifically for our truck. Kye is a mechanical engineer, designer & welder by trade.

17126223_340916449636317_4142355799324229632_n.jpg

So I'm officially the second person to purchase one of these high clearance bumpers from Kinzer Offroad.

Bumper should arrive at the end of the month.

And hopefully, the next thread update here will be the installation of said bumper and some of the other suspension items I have planned.

rgregg08

Looks pretty sweet. Curious how much it weighs? Might have to send them a note and see if they work with aluminum.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
That is a sweet bumper. Wonder if theyll make a 3rd gen gas truck bumper. I like $1799 a lot better than $2500 for the Mercenary bumper.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yup, best looking bumper for Power Wagons---unless you can afford a Mercenary. They do not look like an "afterthought" or "Jay Leno's chin" or hideous like some others. Form follows function & both equal beauty.

mikekey

Deplorable
Looks pretty sweet. Curious how much it weighs? Might have to send them a note and see if they work with aluminum.

I'm not a fan of aluminum since it's gouge prone. But I'm a fan of the weight savings. But I'd say no, since he's just starting out. I totally forgot to ask about weight when I was inquiring. I'll have to shoot him an email.

That is a sweet bumper. Wonder if theyll make a 3rd gen gas truck bumper. I like $1799 a lot better than $2500 for the Mercenary bumper.

Have you taken a look at https://www.ocfwelding.com/bumpers - his 3rd gen bumpers are REALLY nice, with a few different styles.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Have you taken a look at https://www.ocfwelding.com/bumpers - his 3rd gen bumpers are REALLY nice, with a few different styles.

I have not seen those yet, thanks. They do seem to stick out a little farther though, obviously for the diesel crowd. It looks like maybe hell do custom but the "modular" looking "wings" make me think not. I called but got voicemail. They don't have pricing listed on the website for bumpers.

mikekey

Deplorable
I have not seen those yet, thanks. They do seem to stick out a little farther though, obviously for the diesel crowd. It looks like maybe hell do custom but the "modular" looking "wings" make me think not. I called but got voicemail. They don't have pricing listed on the website for bumpers.

yea I think his stuff from his IG feed is all build to order. He has a base design and then tweaks based on client needs/wants. But just an assumption.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I'm not a fan of aluminum since it's gouge prone. But I'm a fan of the weight savings. But I'd say no, since he's just starting out. I totally forgot to ask about weight when I was inquiring. I'll have to shoot him an email.

Sent him an email about 3Rd gen Cummins bumper. Thanks for the link!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz