WTB: Exped Megamat

kbahus

Adventurer
Thought I would see if anyone is looking to get rid of an Exped Megamat (that holds air). I really want to give one a shot, but can't bring myself to spend the coin on the new one. I know someone here is tired of inflating, deflating, and storing their mat :coffeedrink:

MT6bt

Rock hound
They self inflate after the first time! I love mine and have slept on it exclusively for nearly 2 years. I can't stand my bed anymore, so I find myself sleeping on it instead.
Good luck finding one used!

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Megmat also now makes a duo size that open up uses in trailers and RTT.

This thread prompted me to purchase a MegaMat for my Venturcraft trailer to go with my single Megamat in my CampTeq. I found many stores with no longer available status so I called EXPED to find out whats up. Thinking maybe a new design or worst case a problem but I was all wrong. These are selling like crazy and cant keep them in stock now waiting for a fresh shipment.

Last edited:

Dusty Grin

Observer
Megmat also now makes a duo size that open up uses in trailers and RTT.

This thread prompted me to purchase a MegaMat for my Venturcraft trailer to go with my single Megamat in my CampTeq. I found many stores with no longer available status so I called EXPED to find out whats up. Thinking maybe a new design or worst case a problem but I was all wrong. These are selling like crazy and cant keep them in stock now waiting for a fresh shipment.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the duo myself. My maggiolina is 48" wide inside and I think the megamat is 52" wide. Does anyone who has one of these have thoughts on slightly cramming it in there and possibly just not inflating it as much? I could fit so much more bedding up there once it's deflated instead of using the stock mattress. I could also take it out and use it elsewhere.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the duo myself. My maggiolina is 48" wide inside and I think the megamat is 52" wide. Does anyone who has one of these have thoughts on slightly cramming it in there and possibly just not inflating it as much? I could fit so much more bedding up there once it's deflated instead of using the stock mattress. I could also take it out and use it elsewhere.

I have the single in my CampTeq and the shape is pretty rigid. Personally I would talk EXPED or an owner of the Duo about fitting in a 48" space before pulling the trigger. As for deflating for more bedding I dont see that as a problem> My Venturcraft trailers bed folds in half and I plan to use the Duo and just pull the plug when folding it in half.

Kcdude

Adventurer

IMO, megamats don't cram well...had a 52" I tried to use in my Big Agnes 50" wide bag and it just did not want to have the edges flipped up. Also tried a 30" in my sleeping spot...same deal, just too tight and it somewhat compressed the internals where it did not feel right.
image.jpeg

Dusty Grin

Observer
Good info, thank you. I think I'm still going to get it but use it in my Oztent only I suppose. I will try it up in the rtt and if it works let you all know and post a picture.

kbahus

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips and the Moontrail link which is currently the best price I have seen. I am pretty sure the REI 20% off thing ended already. The Duo is tempting too as we would then only need one pad, but I am hesitant to lose the safety of redundancy.

TxTortoise

REI 20% should be back later this month, but depending on sales tax Moonlike was still a better deal. I ended up going here, since I was in Texas... omcgear.com, initially through Amazon Marketplace, but not listed in stock now.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I bought my first MegaMat in the "10" size pricematched from moontail at Backcountry.com then while talking to my brother about it found that Backcountry had the "7.5" on sale and picked up another one for the rare time I can get my wife out camping. I've been super happy with them now for nearly 2 years. I did burn a hole in the 10 while grinding in my garage but with the included glue got it fixed up and holding air great.

I do hate to inflate the pad and am not patient enough to let it self inflate so I use my CO2 tank. I swear I like that tank more to inflate my pad then my tires.

The hefty price tag is for sure worth what you get back from it.

(The number in the name refers to height of the pad in mm.)

C-Fish

Adventurer
I wish Exped (or anyone) made a twin size pad. I'm getting tired of an air mattress...
40x75x5 would be ideal!

It would be perfect for me on my FJ Cruiser platform.

I priced out a custom cut (fitted to the contours of the inside) Memory Foam Mattress today....$1130 :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior