Mitsubishi Canter 3 inch Exhaust Brake and System

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Guys
This tread started in another post, but I though you might like to see the new 3 inch exhaust brake I put in the Canter yesterday. Still too early to quantify improvement but it sounds cool. Old system was 2 1/4 inch and quite rusted. Used old actuator from old brake.
3-inch-exhaust-brake-fitted-canter.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Slightly off topic but your picture reminded me! I keep breaking my flexible exhaust coupling and I'm assuming the back pressure from the exhaust brake is too much for it to handle. Has anyone else had this problem? (I've gone through 3 in a few years all from different exhaust shops)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Steve...
What did you do at the exhaust manifold?

Shan...
When I had my 3" exhaust fitted the guy said he could include a flexible joint but that he had never found one that lasted. He also said that if the exhaust system was designed properly then there should not be a need for one. To that end, I don't have a flexible joint in my system.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
For others that may be considering changing to a 3" exhaust system, it might be useful if you detailed the model of butterfly assembly that you used Steve.
I was lucky enough to get a new 3" butterfly assembly at a very reasonable price, thanks to a lead that whatcharterboat gave me. Mine was off an Isuzu FVR33 (1996-2000), that had the Sitec 6HH1-S engine. Surprisingly, making the Isuzu assembly fit onto my Fuso was a fairly straight forward task.

As I have mentioned previously, and something that Steve has confirmed, the 3" exhaust brake definitely sounds better. :)

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Slightly off topic but your picture reminded me! I keep breaking my flexible exhaust coupling and I'm assuming the back pressure from the exhaust brake is too much for it to handle. Has anyone else had this problem? (I've gone through 3 in a few years all from different exhaust shops)

Exhaust brake unit should be before the the flexible coupling there by not having any undue pressure from the exhaust.

Dan.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi guys
the brake unit is from a Mitsubishi FK417 fighter, 6 cylinder. When picked up from wreckers we were told to be careful to include about 6 inches of pipe either side of brake. The guys then upgraded the exhaust system from turbo manifold to tail with 3 inch piping. The original actuator bolted straight to the FK417 brake. Took a day to do (including fixing a couple of studs they broke removing manifold on turbo). More photos here if interest http://4wdaus.com/index.php/amesz-4x4-mods/273-canter-3-inch-exhaust-and-exhaust-brake-upgrade
The flexible exhaust coupling is between brake and muffler, not between brake and turbo. The muffler is a straight through type.
Once this mod has settled in, I am considering a manual boost controller for the canter. Has anyone else done this?
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Once this mod has settled in, I am considering a manual boost controller for the canter. Has anyone else done this?
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
I bought one for my 649 when I had it (before the chip), and started by unplugging the WG actuator hose to see how much difference it would make (with a plug to stop the boost escaping). Stock boost was 10-11, only just made 14 with no WG and a tiny bit faster spool so I just left it unplugged.. When I got the chip it made 17 flat out with a little faster spool so again I left it. Ran for 25k kms that I had it and far as I know still is no probs haha.
Stock turbine housing on the 4d34t is huge so it doesn't boost very much or fast.
Anyway short version is a controller probably won't make a huge difference.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Nice work Steve, great write up and nice to see the parts interconnect without too much trouble.
Link to brand new butterfly for those who may be interested, supposedly suits the fk417 but it is even larger internally at 80mm.

https://fb6846.shop033.com/p/864195...17-me707285-knorr-jkc-28103201-281-03201.html

even cheaper on ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...672214?hash=item25a583dc56:g:KdwAAOSwrklVQFcp
Dave

Try this company in Brisbane as well
http://www.donkyattqld.com.au/mitsubishi-fuso-truck/fk417-1991-1995/exhaust-system

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Steve,
I bought one for my 649 when I had it (before the chip), and started by unplugging the WG actuator hose to see how much difference it would make (with a plug to stop the boost escaping). Stock boost was 10-11, only just made 14 with no WG and a tiny bit faster spool so I just left it unplugged.. When I got the chip it made 17 flat out with a little faster spool so again I left it. Ran for 25k kms that I had it and far as I know still is no probs haha.
Stock turbine housing on the 4d34t is huge so it doesn't boost very much or fast.
Anyway short version is a controller probably won't make a huge difference.

Thanks mate.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Steve, do you notice an obvious decrease in retarding power from the bigger brake?
I did do a similar one on my old truck, think it was from a Mitsi fighter, and did notice I proby lost about 30% braking power. The larger butterfly apparently couldn't hold the same back-pressure, why I'm not exactly sure.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Steve, do you notice an obvious decrease in retarding power from the bigger brake?
I did do a similar one on my old truck, think it was from a Mitsi fighter, and did notice I proby lost about 30% braking power. The larger butterfly apparently couldn't hold the same back-pressure, why I'm not exactly sure.

Certainly agree on the decrease in brake ability, put it down to it must be easier to open the 3 inch butterfly due to physics. Was considering upping the return Spring, but wonder is that might not stop the value closing in the first place????

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Certainly agree on the decrease in brake ability, put it down to it must be easier to open the 3 inch butterfly due to physics. Was considering upping the return Spring, but wonder is that might not stop the value closing in the first place????

My take on this (lack of exhaust brake) is that the vacuum chamber is not strong enough to hold it closed. A way to find out if this is the case is set up a video camera to watch what is going on when you engage the exhaust brake. This is the same problem with Candy's Canter. I have been looking for a larger diameter chamber but they all seem to use the same one. I will keep looking otherwise I will modify an air brake chamber to try on mine when I get that far.

The spring only holds the butterfly open so increasing pressure on this will make it worse.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles