Hankook DanaPro ATM 75k review

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Hi all,

I know one of the big questions that gets asked around a lot here is what tires doe you have, do you like them etc etc

I figured that I post of review of the Hankook Danapro ATM tires that I have been running for 75 k miles now.

I put these tires on my truck after I suffered my second flat with the crap 2.0 whatevers that came on the truck. Two Flats in the first five k of owning the truck from new. Since then the Danapro's have been all over the county on just about any type of road or trail you can find.

Details
10 Ply Hankook Danapro ATM AT tires. 245 75 16 Stock size
Bought summer 2012
Installed on: 2012 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 5 speed 4x4 2.7

How I use my truck and these tires.

I Live in the mountains of Idaho at 5000 feet we have thousands of square miles of public land and endless trails.
Before this I was in Sandpoint Idaho and before that with the truck in the Mountains of Wyoming.

I use my truck as a truck 4x4 is a must and so are good tires. I have a 250 pound topper on the truck year round and add another three hundred pounds of sand in the truck for when it snows ( five months out of the year)

Since owning the truck I have heated all of my homes with fire wood. I collect it my self off the national forrest. Some times in the the bed, some times in a trailer, most of the time both.

I grow some of my own food, at the start of each summer I use my truck to haul dirt for my garden, compost etc half a yard at a time.

In the winter I tow my sled around, some times just one, time times three.

Needless to say, its a truck, I use it as such and these tires have got the heck beat out of them.

I also use my truck for work. I contract teach wilderness Medicine courses all over the country. Mostly in the rocky mountain area, often times if I am going for a ten day trip, I will drive so I can have some more freedom. So while I spend a lot of the time in the woods, my truck also spends a lot of time running down the highway at 80.

Details.

tires have 75k on them
They are reaching the last tread depth bar. Perhaps 1/5 to 1/4 of tread left.
Tires rotated every 5 k with oil change except twice in 75k miles

at ten K I had them rebalanced several times because when I had them rotated they picked up a bit of a shimmy. Turns out most of them was from a drive shaft that had been off from the factory. To this day a bit of a shimmy remains when that set goes on the back or to the front etc. suspect some sort of minor wear from drive shaft problem.

45-50 k noticed ever other tread block on all four tires starting to wear a bit faster on all four tires. Never became a huge problem, tires still look like this now.

tires run at 40pis year round.

Sand: Decent, deeper sand might word better with this tire aired down
Snow: first three winters with this tire were great. Awesome in the deep, the slushy, the wet. Decent on hard packed snow covered roads, hard pack glare, melt freeze repeat glare not really ice but not really snow ( lots of our side roads around here) just OK. first two winters were much better but at the 50 k mark the rubber was starting to get stiff and hard. I have driven this this truck in 18 inches of fresh snow no problems, countless mountain passes and trips to ski mountains on these tires. This truck has gotten stuck three times in four years all in deep weat heavy snow to the frame. Tires are awesome in most snow. Best AT I have ever used in the snow other then duratrack
gravel : Fantastic. of those 75k miles at least ten of them and perhaps closer to fifteen were off road. Lots of the times pulling a wood trailer. These tires stand out above the rest in that there has been not one speck of tread chipping after all these miles
wet roads: solid. No problems with hydroplaning
ride: Stiff, but great on the highway. Again 10 ply on a regular cab so I knew it would be stiff.
Noise: Not bad till after 70 k. they have a decent hum to them now. You can tell they are an AT but the whine is not much at highway speed.

Over all, this is the best AT tire I have run for over all performance and for me most important longevity it has beat out what I have use in the past including the duratrack, AT2, BFG AT, cooper anything short of a full mud tire, toyo at's

I broke down and ran studded snow tires this winter because the Hankooks were so hard and stiff it was like hockey pucks. glad I did, we got over three hundred inches of snow here in the mountains. The Hankooks are back on now and I plan to run them for this summer, toss in one more season of work on the road and getting fire wood I suspect they will be toast, the tires I suspect will take me to 80 K in the next few months and I think I will be getting the same thing the next time around.

I would recommend these for the great price and for how long they last, and for how good they really are to any one who is looking for a solid AT.

Cheers,

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Thanks, sorry for the fat thumbs.
Over all super pleased with the tires.

I think I will be looking for the same when it is time for these to go next spring when I take my studded tires off.
I am keeping my eyes on the Cooper ATW. If they last 55 k miles and are as good in the snow as they are supposed to be then they might be a solid option

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Thanks for the review; very well done. I have a set of these in my shop in 285 70 17 for my Super Duty and hope to put them on in the next couple of weeks

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Update.

I have put another 5 k miles on the tires or about 80k total.
They tires are near done at this point, most of this driving has been on highway since taking off my snow tire in the spring.

I would wager that about 3-500 miles of the last 5 k has been offroad. The tires still seem to do decent in gravel and hard packed sand.
However, they have lost near all performance in the snow and Mud. I found my self stuck once in what should have been an easy rock back and forth situation and struggling to turn around on a hill with out slidding sideway in the mud in another.
the tires are at this point fire for the highway and not much else.
They have gotten rather loud, and one tire seems to have work much quicker in the last 5 k miles then the other three.
Over all I find that I have been happy with these ten ply DanaPro Atm's they just refuse to die all of the way.
I may look into other options after I take off my snow tires at the end of next winter.

cheers,

day7a1

Great review, certainly convinced me!

I'll keep in mind to not expect too much at 80,000 miles on the tires! You crack me up! I can only assume you were rotating in a spare, but that's still really good!

OSV

Adventurer
80k out of truck tires that saw that kind of use is rather impressive i think, thx for the well-written review.

D

Deleted member 96197

Great review, and I second a vote for these tires, i replaced my BFG AT's on my tacoma with a set of these years ago, i remember them being great tires.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Actually, I did not rotate in a spare. My truck is rather light and a lot of the use has been highway miles.

The truck just turned 92k miles on the clock. -5 k miles for the OEMs when I got it and another 5 k for the snow tires last winter place the DanaPro's at 82,000 miles.

Ten ply on a light 4 cyl tacoma. Seems to be a winning deal.

Have put rightly another 4-600 miles on the tires off pavement for hunting season this year. I may just be taking my gun for a walk int eh woods and my truck for some drives cause I didn't get spit.

A few updates.

I was informed that in the last 5-10 k miles or roughly what I have driven since the snow tires came off the truck as come every so slightly out of alignment. This most likely explains the uneven wear on one of the tires.

Tires behaved decently well in an inch or three of snow on top of of dirt and gravel on switch back and logging trails. However, nearly all traction was lost in tight up hill turns where speed was lost.

It has been raining here in the mountains for the last several weeks. This has made the thousands of miles of dirt roads up here on national land greasy and damp.

What should be easy going in about an inch or three of soft mud on gravel no means 4x4 and lots of spin if you get into the gas. Muddy Ruts are nearly impossible. If its up hill speed must be kept up to keep moving forward or risk having to back out of a situation.

All told more beating on a rig then I care to give it.

I would say in closing that for me I got roughly 70 thousand miles of useful true AT function out of the tires. Snow preformance went down on the hard back and glazed up stuff around 50 K, at 70 K I had some cash laying around and went for snow tires and what a diffenerce.

From 70k-80k miles showed decent off pavement performance. 75 K seemed to be the limit for carefree use off road. 80k brought with it limits on where i could put the truck comepared to say 70k miles. It found me looking for work arounds or non muddy or non snowy trails. 80 K also brought with it an increase in the viberation that has been coming and going on and off since about 20 k on the tires when toyota finally told me my dire shaft was out of balance. The strange wear on the tires had already been done at this point.

I will put my snow tires on when the snow starts flying and stays flying. I may have to tell the tire shop to chuck them because I could most likely put them back on in the spring and get another ten k of pavement use out of them.

at 82 K they are loud and make the truck shimmy a bit depending on speed and road cover. They still preform fine for what I would say is the majorty of my driving. They still work well on wet roads unless it is standing water. The the truck tends to move around a bit.

all and all, I suspect I will get this tire again. Although, it seems to last so damn long it take the fun out of having new tires. I could see my self hitting two hundred K with only two sets of these and a set of snow tires.

what fun is that anyways ?

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Best strictly AT I have ever run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior