2001 Xterra 2wd wheeling

Xterraxplorer

Hello all. I'm new to the forum, but a long time wheeler. Just wanted to share a little bit on my current rig. It is of course a 2wd Xterra with the 3.3l and 5-speed. I've spent the last two years fixing all of the little (actually major) mechanical issues that she has had. Now the fun begins. As for right now, the build items are mild since this is my daily driver. I'll be beefing up the rear springs, torqueing the front ever so slightly, building a rear bumper with a tire carrier, and a custom roof rack. Oh yeah, and fixing the AC. Eventual plans will include a potential 4x4 conversion with a SAS front end, and mild lift. If anyone has information about how to go about a 4x4 conversion on a Nissan, please feel free to chime in. I've been told by several already to sell it and buy a 4x4. If the conversion is not possible, then it will be turned into a very capable 2wd. Hope you all have good weather and happy trails.

Attachments

• IMG_20141220_143104_687.jpg
    IMG_20141220_143104_687.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20150217_113454_376.jpg
    IMG_20150217_113454_376.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

KarstenP

Van of Mayhem
Welcome!
I also have a 2001 V6 Xterra as daily driver, but 4WD. Mine must be one of less than 5 ever exported to Germany.
The conversion from 2WD to 4WD is rather simple since they both share the same platform and running gear, minus the transfer case and front drive axle in the 2WD.
Easiest would to find a 4WD Xterra or Frontier in a scrap yard and rip out the transmission/Transfer case and the front driveline and put it into your vehicle. Make sure the donor has the same gears, otherwise rip the rear axle also from the donor. Stock conversion can be done on a weekend, no electronics involved and nothing to fabricate either.
If you want to go SAS, there are several kits available on the market, one being from Calmini.com.

25872884pn.jpg

cparcell

Observer
If you're ever up around southern ohio, i have a entire 03 sc 4x4. It tool a nose hit but has all the 4x4 stuff

Xterraxplorer

Wow, I've not been checking on this page. Thanks for the replies and the information. I've been digging through scrapyards and there are quite a few around here available. I'm trying to wait until this is not my daily driver to start on it. I got to take a good look at the Calmini SAS kit and I was not impressed. If I do go SAS, it will be with a home built kit. Trust me that I'm not afraid to take a 2wd off road. The last 4x4 I owned was over 16 years ago, and I've only needed it once since then. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and the information. cparcell, I have an old friend of mine in Acron that I keep meaning to come visit. I'll keep that in mind and PM you if I do make it up your way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles