Built in Radio GPS for Navigation Use?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Your question is slightly different than mine since you want a serial GPS rather than a serial TNC. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear OTG USB support is spotty and inconsistent. I fully expect to have to root whatever tablet I settle on anyway and therefore I expect as long as APRSdroid is capable of serial data streams then I'll be OK. But seeing AX.25 packets doesn't mean anything for it expecting NMEA data or waypoints.

DaveInDenver

I completely forgot to mention this, which may be of help to someone.

Byon Garrabrant sells a Bluetooth to serial adapter for this TinyTrak4. I have one of these connected right now in fact to my T3-301 and it's connected to Xastir through it. Works well.

Scroll down to the part called "TT4BT": https://byonics.com/tinytrak4/

tt4bt.png

It's designed to connect to port A on the tracker and route port B to the GPS. It's powered by the 5V line that's typically on pin 4 for the GPS in the serial port on most trackers. It can pass the 5V through as well to power the GPS as before.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I've done this before. I tried Android tablets, but they have fundamental weaknesses that make them quite limited. APRSDroid is OK, but APRSIS/32 is much more flexible. Both UI's are not great.

I ended up with a cheap full-blown windows tablet running APRSIS32. (Winbook TW700)

What they do not tell you is that an OTG cable with android cannot charge and be host at the same time. It just can't. It's a fatal flaw of the Micro-USB connector and USB spec. USB-C should be able to charge and host by virtue of the updated USB-C spec, but there is no guarantee in the implementation. I would usually assume not. This is why bluetooth interfaces to APRS are so popular - this allows you to charge the android tablet while using bluetooth for the serial connection.

If you want to use an Android tablet, you must find one with a separate Charging port - or go with the bluetooth serial interface.

With windows tablets, you can find ones with full-size USB host ports as well as a micro USB charging port.

Make sure that whichever tablet you choose has a separate charging port in addition to USB, unless you plan to use bluetooth.

DaveInDenver

I've done this before. I tried Android tablets, but they have fundamental weaknesses that make them quite limited. APRSDroid is OK, but APRSIS/32 is much more flexible. Both UI's are not great.

I ended up with a cheap full-blown windows tablet running APRSIS32. (Winbook TW700)
I agree about APRSdriod vs APRSIS (although I happen to use Xastir for a couple of reasons). Can I ask what navigation application is typically used on a Windows tablet and what tablet are you using, which I assume you're happy with. I'm wading through all of this looking for a tablet and was pretty sure Android was going to have to be the way.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I agree about APRSdriod vs APRSIS (although I happen to use Xastir for a couple of reasons). Can I ask what navigation application is typically used on a Windows tablet and what tablet are you using, which I assume you're happy with. I'm wading through all of this looking for a tablet and was pretty sure Android was going to have to be the way.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, I don't use a navigation app on my tablet and haven't really looked hard for one, since I haven't really found one that's particularly useful in CONUS when off road. When on-road, I just use my cell phone and google maps.

My tablet is a Winbook TW700, which I bought for $70 at Microcenter. I'm happy with it. Screen brightness is quite good. Downside is that it doesn't have GPS, so I use a USB GPS dongle. I recommend finding a tablet with GPS.

On the tablet, I use APRSISCE/32 (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/). It gives me off-line maps that I can download (although I have to do this manually, not automatically.) I usually drive with the map following my GPS position, and the map oriiented with North at the top of the screen. The software also auto-records my breadcrumbs / tracks, so I can download them later.

Considering this radio and just posted a couple of questions in the forum . . . any input?

Dave

I have the Kenwood D710G, it will output NMEA GPS feed. Go to Page 19 here: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/pdf/TM-D710A_E_GA_GE_IDM.pdf

It also has a data out port, and that could be rigged to provide APRS data packet feed into a tablet or PC program. One day I'll figure that out since it would be cool to have live RF APRS data on a moving map.

But as far as the radio's GPS unit being used for navigation feed to a PC, given the custom cables involved, I'm sure you would be time and money ahead just getting a USB or Bluetooth GPS receiver and have it be plug and play, with no extra cables and adapters to fight with. Your looking at a very involved techie nerd kind of project just to accomplish a $20 task. It's a sad situation, but most HAM tech was new and exciting in the 1980's, maybe the 90's if I'm generous. It would be the technological equivalent of rigging your smartphone to let you make calls with a rotary phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste