Thread: Sawtooth XL Build

Actually, I think this IS one of the best looking best examples of a teardrop build. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by stomperxj View Post
    It looks awesome behind your Subie wagon. You did a fantastic job on your build Dan-
    Thank you, Jess, we really enjoy it!
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    Sawtooth XL http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...light=sawtooth
    1980 BMW R80/7

"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by borison View Post
    Actually, I think this IS one of the best looking best examples of a teardrop build. Well done
    Thank you very much! Building it was, all in all, a very good experience. Of course, it's never really done . . .
    2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    1980 BMW R80/7

I have been following your build this last year as I am hoping to dive into a sawtooth build this spring. The one thing I am wondering is it actually worth routering out the walls for the 1/2" of foam insulation in a few spots.

Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I have been following your build this last year as I am hoping to dive into a sawtooth build this spring. The one thing I am wondering is it actually worth routering out the walls for the 1/2" of foam insulation in a few spots.
    That is a good question, and I don't have a definitive answer. Structurally I believe you will be okay, especially if (1) you leave at least 1/4" of the exterior skin, (2) you use fiberglass tape and epoxy to strengthen the wall-to-roof/floor joints, and (3) don't overload the roof. I doubt that you will get much insulation value, however. I believe Jess Neal (stomperxj on this forum) did it on his original build, and you can ask him directly.

I think if you want to insulate for comfort from cold, insulate the floor, if from heat, the roof. I decided that I'm trying to avoid rain mostly, and did not insulate at all. For cold weather camping, I use Thermarest pads under a queen-size memory foam mattress topper and my cold weather sleeping bags. I also carry two lightweight down quilts to throw over the top. With that and a stocking cap I am snugly warm to 15-20 degrees.

If it is hot, I sit outside under an awning and wait for it to cool down. Then I open the side windows for cross ventilation (both are screened) and turn on the roof vent to blow down on me. That has always been enough so far.

I look forward to seeing your build here!
    2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    1980 BMW R80/7

It didn't make a bit of difference in the walls and was a waste of time on the prototype so I deleted that out of the plans. There is still room to insulate the roof and if you use a good thick mattress that will help insulate the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by stomperxj View Post
    . . . if you use a good thick mattress that will help insulate the floor.
    That's the way I chose to go, but I admit I have been thinking about gluing 2" of foam to the bottom of the floor between the frame rails and then riveting on a sheet of galvanized metal (or maybe using some of the 3M tape that I mistrust) to deflect rocks and the like. I dunno. I like to have access to the wiring harness, even though it runs through a conduit. But it is an option to consider.
    2008 Subaru Outback 3.0R
    1980 BMW R80/7

Quote Originally Posted by DanCooper View Post
    That's the way I chose to go, but I admit I have been thinking about gluing 2" of foam to the bottom of the floor between the frame rails and then riveting on a sheet of galvanized metal (or maybe using some of the 3M tape that I mistrust) to deflect rocks and the like. I dunno. I like to have access to the wiring harness, even though it runs through a conduit. But it is an option to consider.
    That would actually be a slam dunk to use 2" rigid foam and some sheet metal to protect it. Good idea Dan

Thank you for the feed back. I will defiantly be using 2" rigid insulation under the floor and protected with sheet metal. Also for the cold camping I use sheep skins under us. It works very well in our tent and canned ham trailer.

And stomperxj, I will hopefully be talking to you in the spring.

And stomperxj, I will hopefully be talking to you in the spring.
    Sounds good. Let me know if you have any questions. PM or email me so we don't muck up Dan's thread

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast