Sawtooth XL Build

indiedog

Adventurer
Hey Dan, I hope you didn't use that 3M tape to secure any of those items on the outside. :D

But seriously, she looks good. Be sure to post some "in use" shots.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Hey Dan, I hope you didn't use that 3M tape to secure any of those items on the outside. :D

But seriously, she looks good. Be sure to post some "in use" shots.

That 3M tape really failed me! So much for faith in ALL 3M products.

Here are a couple of shots from the road.

IMG_7207_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7224_Fotor.jpg

The trailer is too light for the spring pack I have on it. It hops. City streets are the worst because the pavements are broken and so irregular. Plus, traffic keeps you moving so going slow to ease the bouncing isn't always an option.

But it is a helluva little trailer.

I pick up my wife and little dog Scout at SeaTac on Sunday and head back to Alaska. Doing some fixes back in Poulsbo until then. It has a little roof rack on it now from WalMart. $88. not real strong, but it will let me move some of the load off the Subaru roof. Pictures to come.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Headed back to Alaska today

Packed and ready to go. Note the WalMart roof rack. It needs some work to strengthen it and lift the forward end, but for $88 and change, it will do.

IMG_7286_Fotor.jpg

Having trouble uploading other photos, but I did reattach everything in the galley for the trip. Having done so will necessitate building new fixtures that I really like, but summer days are still long in Alaska so I reckon I will have time.

The trailer attracts lots of attention and positive comments. I have to keep it locked in town so people won't open doors, etc. Apparently, some people were not taught by their parents that if it is not yours, don't touch without permission. I wonder if they saw a house they liked, would they just walk up and open the door and wander about inside?

DanCooper

Adventurer
Since it is the day after Christmas, and about 10 degrees outside, I was going through a few photos of what my wife has come to call the RTAK, or Rolling Tent And Kitchen. And that is pretty much what it is, plus a lot of fun. After we returned to Alaska, avoiding fires in Canada, etc., we camped in it through late September. We only had one close encounter with a black bear in a campground, which we scared away with the Alaskan' Boy Scout Method. Anyway, just a few photos.

IMG_7142_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7312_Fotor.jpg

The last photo was taken from the driver's window. This bear and another were feeding on a roadkill moose in the ditch. The other bear ran away, but this guy stayed to protect his dinner. I wasn't hungry, so I left it to him. I'm having trouble uploading photos today (sorry), or I would upload some more of the wonderful wildlife we saw along the way.

The Sawtooth XL design is excellent. Weather tight, good ergonomics, everything you need (except, my wife reminds me, an indoor toilet).

keane

Observer
I have been following your build this last year as I am hoping to dive into a sawtooth build this spring. The one thing I am wondering is it actually worth routering out the walls for the 1/2" of foam insulation in a few spots.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I have been following your build this last year as I am hoping to dive into a sawtooth build this spring. The one thing I am wondering is it actually worth routering out the walls for the 1/2" of foam insulation in a few spots.

That is a good question, and I don't have a definitive answer. Structurally I believe you will be okay, especially if (1) you leave at least 1/4" of the exterior skin, (2) you use fiberglass tape and epoxy to strengthen the wall-to-roof/floor joints, and (3) don't overload the roof. I doubt that you will get much insulation value, however. I believe Jess Neal (stomperxj on this forum) did it on his original build, and you can ask him directly.

I think if you want to insulate for comfort from cold, insulate the floor, if from heat, the roof. I decided that I'm trying to avoid rain mostly, and did not insulate at all. For cold weather camping, I use Thermarest pads under a queen-size memory foam mattress topper and my cold weather sleeping bags. I also carry two lightweight down quilts to throw over the top. With that and a stocking cap I am snugly warm to 15-20 degrees.

If it is hot, I sit outside under an awning and wait for it to cool down. Then I open the side windows for cross ventilation (both are screened) and turn on the roof vent to blow down on me. That has always been enough so far.

I look forward to seeing your build here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne