Sawtooth XL Build

DanCooper

Adventurer
Kind of rainy today

I thought the interior would be ready for some coatings today, but it was still damp. I have a light and a fan inside now hoping it will improve significantly overnight.

IMG_6986_Fotor.jpg

Meanwhile, I worked on the galley hatch. The pieces are all cut but I want it to be warmer before I put the sealant on and screw the T-moulding on, etc. It is supposed to be warmer later this week.

IMG_6985_Fotor.jpg

DanCooper

Adventurer
Small steps

Cut out the holes for the front window and roof fan.

IMG_6991_Fotor.jpg

Of course the front window hole needed trimming a bit, but now the window fits in the hole. I will make the spacers for the windows tomorrow while the interior paint is drying.

The galley is not quite square. It was square when I put it together, but I think the moisture has moved the walls a bit. Wood just can't forget it was once a tree and tries to revert to its former self.

IMG_6992_Fotor.jpg

I installed the springs for roof supports instead of gas struts. Cheaper and easier to install. Well, easier if you don't do what I did and knock the support out while screwing it in and (a) hitting yourself on the head with the hatch, and (b) gouging the paneling.

IMG_6993_Fotor.jpg

Put the porch lights on each side.

IMG_6994_Fotor.jpg

Galley lights work.

IMG_6995_Fotor.jpg

License plate installed and rear hatch adjusted to close properly.

IMG_6996_Fotor.jpg

So the rear end is almost done. Just need to put the corner tabs on the tee-moulding and adjust the catches.

IMG_6998_Fotor.jpg

And I stopped for the day after installing the Cobra 800 watt converter. With that, the Wiring is done except for the cabin lights and fan.

IMG_6999_Fotor.jpg

DanCooper

Adventurer
Not much to show.

I don't have much to show for today's efforts. I started out by hooking up the solar panels even though it was a cloudy day.

IMG_7004_Fotor.jpg

Then I spent a few hours cutting some spacers for the side windows. After looking at the job I had done, I wasn't satisfied and so I will try again tomorrow. It still wasn't quite warm enough to start painting the cabin interior, so I held off on that for a day.

I added a Rotopax mount near the galley, driver's side.

IMG_7007_Fotor.jpg

I bolted them through the walls with stainless steel bolts, washers, lock washers, and acorn nuts. After mounting the water containers, I was satisfied with this addition.

IMG_7011_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7010_Fotor.jpg

I may add a Quick-Fist for a propane bottle above the Rotopax and a bit forward. Have to see how it might fit first.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Today the weather cooperated

Today we finally have weather with temps above 60 degrees (humidity was about 35%). In the morning I masked the interior because I knew with the tight spaces I would not be able to cut in very easily, much less do it well.

IMG_7013_Fotor.jpg

Then I got one coat of Kilz down. Of course, I ran out before I finished the ceiling, so I stopped, ate lunch, and went back to Home Depot for another quart. I thought maybe I would be able to recoat what I had laid down earlier, but it didn't seem quite right, so I put it off until tomorrow.

IMG_7018_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7017_Fotor.jpg

Watching paint dry for the rest of the day.

DanCooper

Adventurer
What's the wattage on your solar setup?

It is 120 watts from Overlandsolar.com. It is far beyond my current needs, but since it is portable I can take it to my next iteration of trailer/vehicle. Using the Anderson Power Pole connectors allows me to simply unhook the vehicle/trailer power cable and attach the solar panels to the trailer.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Not so good

After applying the second coat of Kilz yesterday, I brushed gel coat on the ceiling. I couldn't keep a wet edge, and so it did not turn out well.

IMG_7023_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

So I will recoat it tomorrow morning with a Rustoleum in gloss white.

DanCooper

Adventurer
I laid another coat this morning and then it warmed up to about 87 before I could recoat it. I will lay another coat on in the morning.

Meanwhile, I just fussed around with the side and front windows and their spacers, measured for cutting the carpet, fooling with the stove swing-out.

IMG_7030_Fotor.jpg

I am backfilling the spacer voids with epoxy so it should be stiff.

Beautiful day, lots of sun and a little breeze. I think it is nap time.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Thanks, Jess. It lacks the level of perfection (precision?) I would prefer to see. It will ultimately be acceptable, it is certainly good enough, but if I ever do it again, I will certainly do some things differently. In terms of technique that is. The design and plan are very good. I just have not executed them as well as I would like.

Anyway, back to the effort this morning.

Does anyone have good advice on laying automotive carpet in a teardrop style trailer? I want to run the carpet up and over the wheel wells, and I am wondering if I should use carpet tape at the angles where the floor and wheel wells meet. The floors and wheel wells are plywood coated with two layers of Kilz.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Finished the interior painting. I still need to put some MinWax Polywipe on the sides and scrape down some white paint that seeped under the Frog Tape. Regardless, the front, rear, and ceiling are done. At least until my wife decides I need to change the color.

IMG_7037_Fotor.jpg

You will likely notice that the left and center cubbies are stained but not the right cubby. It looks too dark to me, and I think I will paint over the stain with a lighter color paint.

I finished painting the window frames and spacers. They are ready to install.

IMG_7031_Fotor.jpg

Had to tack on the rain gutters above the doors. I will do the final install the next time I open the sealant tube.

IMG_7034_Fotor.jpg

I put a finish coat of paint on the galley, then installed the swing out stove. It is on a lazy susan fixture so it swings in for storage and travel, and out for use.

IMG_7032_Fotor.jpg

IMG_7039_Fotor.jpg

To help assure stability, I will run a support from this

IMG_7042_Fotor.jpg

to this

IMG_7040_Fotor.jpg

Ended the day by putting the roof rack together and sitting it on the roof. The bars are only 24 inches apart. That may be to close, so I may have to mount the front bar on the front slope of the roof.

IMG_7043_Fotor.jpg

I'm surprised I have not received any advice on installing the carpet. I was sure that someone on this forum has experience doing that type of installation. I reckon I will just wing it.

stomperxj

Explorer
Cool swing out for the stove. I know that Mark the guy that bought the original Sawtooth XL did RV carpet inside when he did some work to it. I would think contact adhesive would work but I've never done it before.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I used 3M spray adhesive when I did the carpet in my Wagoneer. Never tried using carpet tape because, well, it never occurred to me. :)

DanCooper

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering if the carpet is easy to pull off. Since it went into a Wagoneer, is it adhered to metal?

Thank you again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94