Sawtooth XL Build

stomperxj

Explorer
I have been following your build this last year as I am hoping to dive into a sawtooth build this spring. The one thing I am wondering is it actually worth routering out the walls for the 1/2" of foam insulation in a few spots.

It didn't make a bit of difference in the walls and was a waste of time on the prototype so I deleted that out of the plans. There is still room to insulate the roof and if you use a good thick mattress that will help insulate the floor.

DanCooper

Adventurer
. . . if you use a good thick mattress that will help insulate the floor.

That's the way I chose to go, but I admit I have been thinking about gluing 2" of foam to the bottom of the floor between the frame rails and then riveting on a sheet of galvanized metal (or maybe using some of the 3M tape that I mistrust) to deflect rocks and the like. I dunno. I like to have access to the wiring harness, even though it runs through a conduit. But it is an option to consider.

stomperxj

Explorer
That's the way I chose to go, but I admit I have been thinking about gluing 2" of foam to the bottom of the floor between the frame rails and then riveting on a sheet of galvanized metal (or maybe using some of the 3M tape that I mistrust) to deflect rocks and the like. I dunno. I like to have access to the wiring harness, even though it runs through a conduit. But it is an option to consider.

That would actually be a slam dunk to use 2" rigid foam and some sheet metal to protect it. Good idea Dan ;)

keane

Observer
Thank you for the feed back. I will defiantly be using 2" rigid insulation under the floor and protected with sheet metal. Also for the cold camping I use sheep skins under us. It works very well in our tent and canned ham trailer.

And stomperxj, I will hopefully be talking to you in the spring.

keane

Observer
Dan, If you are ever coming down through Prince George and have time to met or need a place to camp in the area drop me a pm.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Dan, If you are ever coming down through Prince George and have time to met or need a place to camp in the area drop me a pm.

I certainly will. I was through Prince George last August on my way home with the trailer. No current plans to head back down the highway this year, but you never know!

DanCooper

Adventurer
First camping trip of the year: Riley Creek Campground, Denali National Park. You will notice the new tow vehicle.

IMG_7861_Fotor.jpg

I bought it as a salvage and have been reconstructing it. There is still a long way to go on the reconstruction.

IMG_7853_Fotor.jpg

You can see I haven't yet cut the memory foam to fit, and that is towards the top of the agenda this week.

stomperxj

Explorer
Good lookin FJ Dan. Trailer looks great too :) Looks like some mud flaps are in order for the back of the tow rig maybe?

DanCooper

Adventurer
Good lookin FJ Dan. Trailer looks great too :) Looks like some mud flaps are in order for the back of the tow rig maybe?

Jess, the mud flaps are gonna be necessary I think. The black on the front of the trailer is from road construction last year, and the mud is from road construction this year. In Alaska, there are two road seasons: when the roads are covered with snow and ice, and when the roads are torn up to repair damage from snow and ice.

I have some maintenance to do on the trailer, and some electrical upgrades to add USB ports inside the cabin.

In the meantime, looks like I will get to drive the Denali Highway next Monday-Tuesday. I love that road! 135 miles of scenery.

DanCooper

Adventurer
We did get a chance to drive the Denali Highway on Monday-Tuesday. We left Fairbanks in rain showers, stopped in Delta Junction for Buffalo Burgers in mild winds and clouds, and drove into rain and snow showers. At Tangle Lakes, it was rainy and windy, which turned into snow at 10 pm. At 4 am Tuesday, it looked like this:

IMG_7907.JPG

We left at 7 a.m. for the day's drive. Along the way, it looked like this:

IMG_7914.JPG

The further west we drove, the better the weather, until about 2 or so we had left the snow and rain behind (for another hour or two):

IMG_7915.JPG

The trailer was warm and weather tight. A little rain and snow were tracked inside, but that was it. Temps overnight were obviously in the low thirties, and we slept warm in 20-degree bags with no heater. I love that little thing!

stomperxj

Explorer
(y) We had one night that was right at 32* on one of our trips and we got too hot and had to shed some blankets :)

Great pics Dan :cool:

DanCooper

Adventurer
Wall to wall memory foam. I'm thinking of having a cover sewn up in a light canvas to protect it more from spills. It did not react well to the coffee spill you can see.

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

I'm definitely going to cover those little bolsters. They are nice to rest your head on while reading, but they need protection.

DanCooper

Adventurer
Great build. Great trip.

Are you getting any road rash on the Monstaliner? On the front?

SB

The only noticeable place is on the front of the fenders, where the Mpnstaliner has chipped off. I believe this is due to lack of adequate preparation on my part. I will post pictures of this later this weekend (I hope!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles