Kootenay's Pro4X Frontier

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Truck is looking great. How you liking the Old Man Emu setup? I really like BC, you're lucky to live in such a beautiful area.

I wish my truck was that color.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Thanks, we really do like BC. I spent the weekend in AB and my wife and I were admiring the scenery but then both chuckled as we rounded a corner near home and realized how picturesque it is here.

So far I still really like the Old Man Emu Setup. Carries weight way better then stock, and I actually us it as a truck so this comes in handy regularly, and the ride is also better then stock.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Started playing around with a roof basket idea. I have been torn about trying to order a Dep Hep style drop in basket into Canada. So I started looking into making my own, then had the idea to use Uni Strut. Turns out my idea is not to unique, others have had the same idea. I am thinking about combining the two concepts. Here is what I have so far.

I am going to box it in with a more t-brackets. I may also switch it out to Aluminium Unistrut and solid, but this stuff was cheaper while I played around with the concept.

That looks great, I love home built solutions, especially up here in Canada where everything we bring in from the States costs us an arm and a leg.
Hit it with some of that Rockerguard you can buy at Canadian Tire and it will last a lifetime.

kootenay

I went for another little drive this morning with a friend. He had found a large 4'x5' rock that he was worried his tacoma wouldn't carry. Managed to load it and a few more with no problem. I also decided that getting this roof top basket done is a priority.
DSC_0455.jpg
On the way up we also ran into a family of Mountain Goats.
DSC_0444.jpg including one kidDSC_0450.jpg

kootenay

So here is the rack functioning on the truck. I just need sort out some bolts and to take it off again and paint it.
IMG_2580.jpg
Profile wise it sits nicely on the roof and doesn't stick up. Wind noise is the same as the factory bar, once I put a little v on the bars.

IMG_2582.jpg
With a little work on the bolts the sunroof should be able to tilt still.
IMG_2581.jpg

kootenay

Went out exploring and trying out the Hema Map app. Came across a pretty narrow and steep water crossing.
IMG_2591.jpg
The truck just fit, but managed to climb out no problem.
IMG_2598.jpg
We also spent a week camping for Canada day. We missed out trailer, but everything needed for the week did fit in the truck, or on the truck, including a lot of fire wood.
IMG_2615.jpg
I will be heading on the next trip to Squamish to test the 2017 Kona Bike line. It was originally going to be a family trip to include some exploring and camping, but it seems to be changing to a solo mission. Anyone have some suggestions on must do camp spots around squamish pemberton? and Kamloops area?

kootenay

The other day I heard that a trail I have wanted to check out, but never bothered because it was an old closed road and was gated shut, was not actually gated. I also heard that the bridges on it were washed out but thought it might still be worth checking it out. I was planning to organize an outing, but I just couldn't stop thinking about it, and had a hard time getting work done, so I bailed on work and took off without warning or notice. I also didn't tell anyone where I was going and I went solo, and didn't bring my bike. All things I should have known better.

With that out of the way let me say this road/trail is not full size friendly, at least not without some work.

The Drive up to Whiteswan was beautiful. Fog and low lying cloud blanketed many of the slopes. The Tammarack trees or Larch depending on who you believe, were also doing their best to steal the show.
DSC_0470.jpg

When I got to the first bridge, it was washed out on the far side. Someone had placed homemade platform off the bridge onto the far side, but it was only wide enough for a quad. After three attempts I managed to get the tires evenly onto it, with about half hanging off each side and drove over. This would have been easier with a spotter. The drive was amazing, I had to stop numerous time to clear out avalanche path debris so I would fit were quads had previously been.

Then the creek washouts started, They started out fun then became more technical. This one was by far the hardest. The photo does not really show it but I had the drivers side wheels on a muddy bank and had a lot of lean on, then the passenger rear I had to stack rocks so it could climb up the the log on the edge of the bank.
DSC_0475.jpg
After this they became technical and fun, requiring both lockers, but not have the roll pucker factor.

Eventually as I climbed higher and started getting closer to the Bull River main road I ran into snow. Not much at first, but as it can happen in the mountains it started getting deeper. Eventually I was scrapping the belly on the snow but managed to continue on. Had some fun in a very rutted section covered in snow. I had to walk the line I thought the tires might take to make sure nothing was hidden under the snow, and then went for it. What a great day.
DSC_0478.jpg

Eventually I met up again with the Bull River road and was able to get home in time to make dinner for the family.
https://cloud.hemaexplorer.com.au/public/Pnr78Zur8zFKwfY1FKucfKcB/#?layer=thunderodoors

Last edited:

kootenay

Looks like a great run. Truck looks awesome!!
Thanks I am looking at putting together a good Backcountry Loop of the Area, and this is a pretty important piece of it. Next time I want to run it with a few people would be more fun and easier with a spotter.
paroxysym
great looking truck, really digging the frontiers
The Frontier has been perfect so far. Very happy with the decision. I just wish they made a version like mine from the Factory. The Oldman Emu lift and the Front Locker would make it perfect out of the showroom floor.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Thanks I am looking at putting together a good Backcountry Loop of the Area, and this is a pretty important piece of it. Next time I want to run it with a few people would be more fun and easier with a spotter.

The Frontier has been perfect so far. Very happy with the decision. I just wish they made a version like mine from the Factory. The Oldman Emu lift and the Front Locker would make it perfect out of the showroom floor.

Beautiful pics. What front locker are you running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles